Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:31 PM

21,004 posts, read 27,009,485 times

Advertisements

According to the plans scguy89 saw, Publix will have a drive-through pharmacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 03:35 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,258,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Not sure if anyone is following this development, but I found online the plans for it: http://www.cityofclemson.org/sites/d...%20Project.pdf

The center will be called Gateway Village and the Publix will be 54,800 square feet. Freedom Drive is going to end in a cul-de-sac. Anyone have any other Clemson updates??
Lovely - another red light on US 123! Since this thing fronts SC93 and SC 93 has a full interchange with US 123, I would MUCH prefer no red light on US123. Make the main access from SC 93 and have access to turn in and out from one side of US 123 only. The traffic can return via the interchange.

US 123 is already way too clogged up with red lights. The entire stretch of road between Clemson and Seneca is quickly turning from a 5 minute drive down a highway to a 20 minute bumper to bumper crawl between redlights.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:21 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,487,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
Lovely - another red light on US 123! Since this thing fronts SC93 and SC 93 has a full interchange with US 123, I would MUCH prefer no red light on US123. Make the main access from SC 93 and have access to turn in and out from one side of US 123 only. The traffic can return via the interchange.

US 123 is already way too clogged up with red lights. The entire stretch of road between Clemson and Seneca is quickly turning from a 5 minute drive down a highway to a 20 minute bumper to bumper crawl between redlights.
Would LOVE to see 123 completely controlled-access from downtown (or at least from White Horse Rd) to Clemson. But we dream and realize they're only dreams...

Old 09-10-2012, 06:12 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,639,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Would LOVE to see 123 completely controlled-access from downtown (or at least from White Horse Rd) to Clemson. But we dream and realize they're only dreams...
That's what I've been craving forever but I doubt it will ever happen. Unless someone finds a new way to bypass Easley (a second? or third time?) and keep it controlled access

Old 09-11-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
That's what I've been craving forever but I doubt it will ever happen. Unless someone finds a new way to bypass Easley (a second? or third time?) and keep it controlled access
They turn old US highway routes into freeway all the time, all over the place. Just a matter of the width of the median, how many lanes it would have, and having service/frontage roads to allow direct access to businesses along the route.

I also firmly believe that White Horse Rd between I-85 and Travelers Rest should be controlled access as well.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:46 PM

21,004 posts, read 27,009,485 times
Quote:

I think diverting all access into Publix from SC-93 would be a better idea to keep traffic moving on US-123.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They turn old US highway routes into freeway all the time, all over the place. Just a matter of the width of the median, how many lanes it would have, and having service/frontage roads to allow direct access to businesses along the route.

I also firmly believe that White Horse Rd between I-85 and Travelers Rest should be controlled access as well.
US-123, from Greenville to Easley, and White Horse Road (US-25) will be nothing more than boulevards. If these roads were planned better 50 years ago and restricted access, maybe this congestion would not exist.

Easley will benefit from the long term plans to extend SC-153 northeast of Easley to provide a better connection to Pickens.

White Horse Road remains to be widened to six lanes from above Saluda Dam Road to before Old White Horse Road in the Berea area.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,258,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I think diverting all access into Publix from SC-93 would be a better idea to keep traffic moving on US-123.

US-123, from Greenville to Easley, and White Horse Road (US-25) will be nothing more than boulevards. If these roads were planned better 50 years ago and restricted access, maybe this congestion would not exist.
I just wish they would quit making it worse by adding more access points for new businesses and additional red lights. They should make new businesses work with the existing access points and move access from side roads that already have existing red lights.

SC 153 through Powdersville is getting to be the same way. There is still enough space available to put in a frontage road on both sides. Access to businesses could then be from the frontage roads and the frontage roads could be accessed at the existing red lights. It would cut down on congestion but based on US 123, Whitehorse Road, and Woodruff Road I doubt it will happen. Seems like the SCDOT would learn from past mistakes but I guess not.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Seems like the SCDOT would learn from past mistakes but I guess not.
How much input do county/city planners have in those sorts of things? Seems they might insist on controlling access for better traffic flow (and less gas usage & air pollution)?

Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,531,641 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post

Easley will benefit from the long term plans to extend SC-153 northeast of Easley to provide a better connection to Pickens.

White Horse Road remains to be widened to six lanes from above Saluda Dam Road to before Old White Horse Road in the Berea area.
[quote=VolstuckinNC;26056152SC 153 through Powdersville is getting to be the same way. There is still enough space available to put in a frontage road on both sides. Access to businesses could then be from the frontage roads and the frontage roads could be accessed at the existing red lights. It would cut down on congestion but based on US 123, Whitehorse Road, and Woodruff Road I doubt it will happen. Seems like the SCDOT would learn from past mistakes but I guess not.[/quote]

Quote:
How much input do county/city planners have in those sorts of things? Seems they might insist on controlling access for better traffic flow (and less gas usage & air pollution)?
And how much money will it take to upgrade these roads to be freeways or expressways? How long will the benefits last? Add a lane of road and watch it become just as congested as the rest within 2-3 years. Upgrade it to an expressway and watch it have average speeds below surface roads in just as much time. Instead we should do what other cities did and are doing that have these roads that have a lot of development along them, design transit along them so that it can remain moving even when traffic stops and then people are more inclined to take it because they see they can get somewhere even faster than by driving. It'll get cars off the road, reduce pollution, give people more options, be cheaper over all, and give us all a better quality of life.

My point is, we can't keep widening and improving all these roads. We've already caused a lot of damage to the city centers that we're just now 'starting' to turn around by building up these highways, and now you're talking about wasting more money by widening these roads and turning them into freeways or expressways? Sure, some work has to be done to roads at some point, but we should examine all the other options we have first before we talk about building more roads or widening more roads when our state already can't repair roads that are going on 100 years old and could fail us at any time.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:14 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,639,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
And how much money will it take to upgrade these roads to be freeways or expressways? How long will the benefits last? Add a lane of road and watch it become just as congested as the rest within 2-3 years. Upgrade it to an expressway and watch it have average speeds below surface roads in just as much time. Instead we should do what other cities did and are doing that have these roads that have a lot of development along them, design transit along them so that it can remain moving even when traffic stops and then people are more inclined to take it because they see they can get somewhere even faster than by driving. It'll get cars off the road, reduce pollution, give people more options, be cheaper over all, and give us all a better quality of life.

My point is, we can't keep widening and improving all these roads. We've already caused a lot of damage to the city centers that we're just now 'starting' to turn around by building up these highways, and now you're talking about wasting more money by widening these roads and turning them into freeways or expressways? Sure, some work has to be done to roads at some point, but we should examine all the other options we have first before we talk about building more roads or widening more roads when our state already can't repair roads that are going on 100 years old and could fail us at any time.
I don't know about the others but I am thinking that 153 should be controlled access. All business could use existing frontage roads (some would need to be extended) or side roads. This would not require much investment at all. Instead, the state will wait until there are dozens of curb cuts along this road and no room to expand the frontage roads. They will wait until every single business creates a way to get in from the main road. What you are speaking of is not possible in the areas that we are speaking of. The issue isn't traffic as much as having a better road systems/grid. After the roads were altered, then I would think about having buses or other transit going down the frontage roads. As is, it would just be a complete waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area