U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:28 PM

4,848 posts, read 6,275,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
After reading reviews on Yelp, that sealed the deal. We bought one, thanks so much for the tip.
I did the same thing, looked for the reviews and found the majority of them were very favorable. Here's the ones on Urban Spoon

The Velo Fellow - Greenville | Urbanspoon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 06:30 AM

7,994 posts, read 11,183,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I've found more great restaurants here than I did when I lived in Miami. Yes, I've found some duds - but for the most part, I've found some great places that have become favorites.

Has anyone been to the Velo Fellow on Augusta? Living Social has a deal for them and over 1200 people have bought in to the deal. The menu looks interesting and the reviews are good. Any one?

https://livingsocial.com/deals/111001?ref=conf-jp&rpi=30554787
Thanks for this.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 PM

9,038 posts, read 14,260,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Thanks for this.
The Velo isn't considered haute cuisine in Greenville is it? Their menu doesn't sound like anything more special than I'd make at home any day of the week and their prices are really high.

I think with the economy the way it is, restaurants are really going to have to put out products that are truly extraordinary to stay in business. At least they will if they are going to get my money. I'd rather make something special at home following a gourmet recipe from the Food Network for a lot less than I'd pay in a restuarant for a plain unimaginative overpriced meal. This doesn't just apply to Greenville Restaurants. I think it applies across the board to all restaurants nationwide.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:30 PM

5,634 posts, read 5,570,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
The Velo isn't considered haute cuisine in Greenville is it? Their menu doesn't sound like anything more special than I'd make at home any day of the week and their prices are really high.

I think with the economy the way it is, restaurants are really going to have to put out products that are truly extraordinary to stay in business. At least they will if they are going to get my money. I'd rather make something special at home following a gourmet recipe from the Food Network for a lot less than I'd pay in a restuarant for a plain unimaginative overpriced meal. This doesn't just apply to Greenville Restaurants. I think it applies across the board to all restaurants nationwide.
A. Did you read reviews on yelp and urban spoon?
B. I didn't think the prices were high at all
C. $20 worth of food for $10 is a great deal

Just my $.02

Old 10-05-2011, 05:39 AM

4,848 posts, read 6,275,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

Have you eaten there yet?

I'm not in to "haute cuisine" or hoity toity food. Not sure what's behind your post in speaking about haute cusine, gourmet and then mention the economy If you haven't eaten there yet, why bash it? If you have eaten there, please share your experience.

To me, the draw to give this place a try was:

a) Great reviews (for the most part)
b) Interesting menu with things that I knew I would like to try
c) Not overpriced
d) Not a chain restaurant
e) Coupon to try the place

Quote:
A. Did you read reviews on yelp and urban spoon?
B. I didn't think the prices were high at all
C. $20 worth of food for $10 is a great deal

Just my $.02
I agree!

Old 10-05-2011, 07:16 AM

291 posts, read 566,309 times
What an odd article. Read it again from a neutral perspective.

I had a feeling it was going to take a road less traveled when it used Asheville as a main geographic reference point.

Sure, it had good things to say about Greenville, but calling Trio, Lemon Grass, Saffron, Pita House and Cantinflas foodie destinations yet failing to even give passing mention to any of the true foodie destination restaurants? Really?

Add in the vegitarian twist to her 'foodie' perspective and you get a very warped view of the Greenville dining scene.

Now, please excuse me whilst I wash the patchouli and hemp smell off my keyboard.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 10-05-2011 at 07:34 AM..

Old 10-05-2011, 07:55 AM

5,233 posts, read 7,708,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
What an odd article. Read it again from a neutral perspective.

I had a feeling it was going to take a road less traveled when it used Asheville as a main geographic reference point.

Sure, it had good things to say about Greenville, but calling Trio, Lemon Grass, Saffron, Pita House and Cantinflas foodie destinations yet failing to even give passing mention to any of the true foodie destination restaurants? Really?

Add in the vegitarian twist to her 'foodie' perspective and you get a very warped view of the Greenville dining scene.

Now, please excuse me whilst I wash the patchouli and hemp smell off my keyboard.
It's not an article really - just a rehashed blog post from a couple of years ago that I am pretty sure was linked here on CD at that time, too.

This blogger's main goal is finding vegan options at restaurants. Apparently she accomplished that at Trio on the day she was here. But I must question anyone's opinion who considers Trio to be "foodie." It's quite bad food, imho.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 AM

212 posts, read 369,446 times
I don't consider myself "foodie" but I do appreciate good food. I like quite a few of the downtown Greenville restaraunts, but I would have a hard time saying many of them qualify as "foodie destination" quality. Upscale dining does not necessarily equal foodie. I think some people are genuinely confused about that.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:11 PM

5,634 posts, read 5,570,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecial View Post
I don't consider myself "foodie" but I do appreciate good food. I like quite a few of the downtown Greenville restaraunts, but I would have a hard time saying many of them qualify as "foodie destination" quality. Upscale dining does not necessarily equal foodie. I think some people are genuinely confused about that.
Agree 100%, gimme a "hole in the wall" 9 outta 10 times. Pho 99 on Wade Hampton is just that a "hole in the wall" and it's the best Vietnamese food that we've ever had, (and we came here from Los Angeles), and nothing is over $7.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:30 AM

119 posts, read 213,753 times
Quote:
Agree 100%, gimme a "hole in the wall" 9 outta 10 times. Pho 99 on Wade Hampton is just that a "hole in the wall" and it's the best Vietnamese food that we've ever had, (and we came here from Los Angeles), and nothing is over $7.
I've wanted to stop in there, have not yet tried Vietnamese food. What would you recommend (I'm not picky!)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area