U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:27 AM

7,987 posts, read 11,226,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMom77 View Post
I haven't found it to be a problem at all- if you want it, there are PLENTY of places to get it. Like others have mentioned, anywhere in the city of Greenville, Mauldin or Simpsonville. We can buy beer or wine on Sundays at Trader Joe's, Costco, Total Wine, any of the grocery stores in the above mentioned cities, and any of the gazillion restaurants in those cities, which includes downtown Greenville. With the way the Greenville area is laid out, most people are within 10-15 minutes of any of those places, if not much closer. I don't see what all the fuss is about?? Yes, there are a few places that don't sell it, but there are far more that do.
Totally agree with this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 10:57 AM

5,233 posts, read 7,738,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
It's a very confusing patchwork system of where you can buy on Sundays and where you can't. Total Wine lets you buy beer/wine on Sundays. Whole Foods across the street does not.
You can buy beer and wine at Whole Foods on Sundays. I think there was a time where they didn't sell it because of an issue with their permit. They were serving beer and wine at the bar there to drink on site, which I think they had to stop doing in order to keep their Sunday sales permit. Not 100% sure on that, but you can absolutely buy beer and wine to take with you on Sundays at Whole Foods.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:00 PM

123 posts, read 392,993 times
I agree, there are plenty of places that sell on Sundays so we haven't found it to be a problem either. If you don't like the law then don't move to a town that prohibits alcohol sales on Sunday. It's as simple as that.

Keep in mind that these laws are dictated by the towns & county (not by the state) so factor that into your consideration if you decide to move outside of the Greenville or Spartanburg city limits. For example, Greenville allows for Sunday beer & wine sales but the cities of Greer & Anderson do not. Here's the list of jurisdictions and whether they allow Sunday sales or not Jurisdictions with Local Option Permit

Old 10-10-2011, 06:51 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,657,922 times
It's dumb, for sure. The state sells separate permits and liquor and beer licenses for businesses for Sunday sales, so long as localities have approved them. Unincorporated areas are SOL, unless their counties have approved Sunday sales.

It's a racket, really. Not sure about the permits for beer but the licenses (one for beer and wine, one for liquor), are sold by the state at a ridiculous price. So if you own a restaurant you have to pay a huge price for just the Sunday licenses. I think it works out the same for permits. It's one of the reasons why many places are closed on Sundays.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
It's dumb, for sure. The state sells separate permits and liquor and beer licenses for businesses for Sunday sales, so long as localities have approved them. Unincorporated areas are SOL, unless their counties have approved Sunday sales.

It's a racket, really. Not sure about the permits for beer but the licenses (one for beer and wine, one for liquor), are sold by the state at a ridiculous price. So if you own a restaurant you have to pay a huge price for just the Sunday licenses. I think it works out the same for permits. It's one of the reasons why many places are closed on Sundays.

The rates are ridiculous compared to what? I checked the fees on SCtax.org and they are not that high and actually a bargain compared to the thousands of dollars that some other states charge. Besides, the low cost of rent, insurance, taxes & supplies in SC will do more than enough to make up for any fees that you consider to be "too high"

Most residents have no problem with the state having lower income & property taxes and then making extra money off of "vices". Alcohol is purely a luxury item. No one NEEDS alcohol. If it costs extra to to get a permit then all the bar or restauranteur needs to do is charge more and make up for it with alcohol sales (which I'm sure they do). No one in SC is going out of business solely because of the price of a liquor license.

Also, no one needs a special permit to open on Sunday's in SC. You just can't sell alcohol on Sunday's in some jurisdictions. Selling alcohol has nothing to do with why restaurants are closed on Sunday's. It's a tradition down here to go to church on Sunday morning, have a family dinner, go "visiting" and watch sports. Because of that, most of us have no desire (and may even find it sacrilegious) to work on a Sunday. If a restaurant was to open on a Sunday they would have a hard time finding people willing to work on that day. It's easier just to close the shop and give everyone the day off.

This practice is beneficial for the owner's too because it gives them a day that they can devote to their families instead of worrying about their business. Running a restaurant is extremely stressful and time consuming. Owners rarely ever take a day off. Closing on a Sunday probably helps to save a lot of marriages. I know a lot of restaurant owners who are divorced because all they did was spend time at the restaurant and completely neglected their families. I wish more places would close on Sunday's so worker's families could spend more time together.

Last edited by CharlieLovesCarolina; 10-10-2011 at 09:02 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 07:00 AM

178 posts, read 283,212 times
This should be a moot point - Blue Laws are archaic, and are the prime example why church and state are supposed to be seperated.
I'll buy beer/wine at stores that sell them on Sunday JUST BECAUSE I CAN.

If you get rid of the antequated law, get rid of license gouging.

And for goodness sake, someone import a history book to the state. Read the chapter on the failure of Prohibition. Drinking went up, and organized crime skyrocketed. Maybe someone can expalin to SC lawmakers that Al Capone was not the guy in all the Meet the Parents/Fockers movies.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailVictory View Post

And for goodness sake, someone import a history book to the state. Read the chapter on the failure of Prohibition. Drinking went up, and organized crime skyrocketed. Maybe someone can expalin to SC lawmakers that Al Capone was not the guy in all the Meet the Parents/Fockers movies.
Well, at least my SC education taught me to FACT CHECK before I made statements. Where is the evidence of license gouging in SC??? The most expensive liquor license (for a brew pub) costs $2,200 for 2 years. That can hardly be considered "price gouging" when other states charge tens and even hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The MINIMUM bid for a liquor license in Tom's River, NJ is $50,000 to $700,000
N.J. liquor-license prices plummet amid soft economy, higher taxes | NJ.com

Average price in New Mexico? $250,000. Cost of liquor licenses could strain small businesses - The Santa Fe New Mexican

Opening a brew pub in California can cost you well over $12,000 for a license http://www.abc.ca.gov/permits/2010FeeSch.pdf

As far as the statements about prohibition go - there are NO dry counties SC. And SC state law allows every jurisdiction the opportunity to repeal the no sale on Sunday law which is why places like Charleston, Rock Hill & Greenville already have. If the "no sales on Sunday" rule is still in place in your area it's either people there are fine with the way things are or there wasn't enough support to bring it to referendum.

If you are in one of those areas and you don't like it then I suggest you do something about it and get busy petitioning 10% of the registered voters in your jurisdiction to petition for a referendum. If you're in Greenville or Charleston where the law has already been repealed then you just need to mind your own business and let the voters in those areas decide what they want in their communities. You don't live there so you don't have the right to tell them what they can and can't do.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:52 PM

470 posts, read 700,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLovesCarolina View Post
If you don't like the law then don't move to a town that prohibits alcohol sales on Sunday. It's as simple as that.
What a great logic.

For example, when I moved here, it was for other reasons then alcohol and I didn't even know a bout that law. I don't even drink a lot of alcohol and yet, I still found the law to be stupid and useless. But yeah, everybody has the choice to base their decisions on alcohol selling stores. I mean, it's not like job or family reasons should be considered.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:07 PM

Well, here is a current list of cities & counties that sell alcohol on Sunday so other newcomers aren't caught unaware. I believe that this list pretty much covers most of the major areas where people would be moving for a job or is at least within a 15-20 minute drive in case they have an alcohol emergency on a Sunday.

Like I said earlier, if Sunday alcohol sales are illegal in your area there is a way to overturn it. If it bothers you that much then you can get busy working on getting a referendum passed. Or you can just sit and complain and make yourself and everyone around you miserable. The choice is yours.

SUNDAY ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE SALES

COUNTIES:

Beaufort

Berkeley

Charleston

Dorchester

Georgetown

Horry

Lexington

Richland *

York

*Richland County 7-Day Beer & Wine is for the unincorporated areas of Richland County only.

CITIES:

Aiken

Anderson

Bluffton

Blythewood

Camden

Columbia
(Lexington Cty.)

Columbia
(Richland Cty.)

Daniel Island

Edisto Beach

Elgin

Florence

Forest Acres

Goose Creek

Greenville

Greer
(Greenville Cty)

Greer
(Spartanbug Cty.)

Hanahan

Hardeeville

Hilton Head

Irmo

Mauldin

Moncks Corner

North Charleston (Charleston Cty.)

North Charleston (Berkeley Cty.)

North Charleston (Dorchester Cty.)

Port Royal

Rock Hill

Santee

Spartanburg

Simpsonville

Summerville (Charleston Cty.)

Summerville
(Berkeley Cty.)

Summerville (Dorchester Cty.)

Tega Cay

Yemassee

Old 10-12-2011, 08:09 PM

374 posts, read 701,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLovesCarolina View Post
there are plenty of places that sell on Sundays so we haven't found it to be a problem either. If you don't like the law then don't move to a town that prohibits alcohol sales on Sunday. It's as simple as that.
Your obviously full of warm/good intentions, I'm quite sure. But, please spare me from ever having to seat next to you flying out of GSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by HailVictory View Post
This should be a moot point - Blue Laws are archaic, and are the prime example why church and state are supposed to be seperated.
I'll buy beer/wine at stores that sell them on Sunday JUST BECAUSE I CAN.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area