U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:31 PM

2,211 posts, read 5,124,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
What a great logic.

For example, when I moved here, it was for other reasons then alcohol and I didn't even know a bout that law. I don't even drink a lot of alcohol and yet, I still found the law to be stupid and useless. But yeah, everybody has the choice to base their decisions on alcohol selling stores. I mean, it's not like job or family reasons should be considered.
Agreed, who would choose what town they are to live in based on alcohol sales?(well ok maybe someone with a serious drinking habit) I live in easley and have to drive into greenville on sundays if I forget to pick up anything during the week. its a mild annoyance, but has caught me unprepared more than once, and there is really no reason for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 11:27 AM

26 posts, read 45,309 times
Default hopefully..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
Agreed, who would choose what town they are to live in based on alcohol sales?(well ok maybe someone with a serious drinking habit) I live in easley and have to drive into greenville on sundays if I forget to pick up anything during the week. its a mild annoyance, but has caught me unprepared more than once, and there is really no reason for it.
I am the OP of this topic and I can only hope that your comment is not directed at me. I was looking up "weird South Carolina laws" and this one came up. It seemed a bit archaic which is why I made the post. But of course there was also a law that oral sex is banned. Perhaps if my post would have been about that then responders would be contemplating on whether or not people would actual base their decisions on where to live based on that crazy law. It was only a conversation piece and since obviously the later is unable to be proven I chose the alcohol related. Have a nice day.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:09 PM

212 posts, read 370,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearnaked View Post
I am the OP of this topic and I can only hope that your comment is not directed at me. I was looking up "weird South Carolina laws" and this one came up. It seemed a bit archaic which is why I made the post. But of course there was also a law that oral sex is banned. Perhaps if my post would have been about that then responders would be contemplating on whether or not people would actual base their decisions on where to live based on that crazy law. It was only a conversation piece and since obviously the later is unable to be proven I chose the alcohol related. Have a nice day.
HAHAHA. . .I feel like a dirty criminal now.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 AM

2,211 posts, read 5,124,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearnaked View Post
my comment wasn't directed at anyone, I was agreeing with another poster. Sorry if you felt I was attacking, it was not intended.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:33 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,947,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecial View Post
HAHAHA. . .I feel like a dirty criminal now.
This state is by NO means alone in those sorts of things.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:55 PM

38 posts, read 92,128 times
Well, I live in Seneca and it is annoying if you forget to pick up something on Saturday. If its wrong to sell alcohol on Sunday then it should be wrong to sell it any other day of the week. I can understand not selling it between certain times (10 pm to 7 am or what ever) but not all day. When I first moved here no stores opened on Sunday before 1 pm! I couldnt go to a store, but the workers were inside working, that made alot of sense! I was supposed to be in church but they were working preparing the store for customers. Old laws that thinking people dont understand.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:30 PM

62 posts, read 131,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMom77 View Post
I haven't found it to be a problem at all- if you want it, there are PLENTY of places to get it. Like others have mentioned, anywhere in the city of Greenville, Mauldin or Simpsonville. We can buy beer or wine on Sundays at Trader Joe's, Costco, Total Wine, any of the grocery stores in the above mentioned cities, and any of the gazillion restaurants in those cities, which includes downtown Greenville. With the way the Greenville area is laid out, most people are within 10-15 minutes of any of those places, if not much closer. I don't see what all the fuss is about?? Yes, there are a few places that don't sell it, but there are far more that do.
Exactly. Really it seems to be a pointless law no matter how you look at it. I'm a christian and I don't think it's a useful law at all. If nothing else all it does is up sales in the city of Greenville on Sundays...

Old 08-25-2013, 07:43 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,104,338 times
Conventional wisdom: To survive as a restaurant in Greenville County, you must locate in the city limits - otherwise your Sunday sales suffer because everyone flocks to the Greenville city restaurants that serve alcohol on Sundays.

Actual practice: Red Lobster on Wade Hampton (located outside of Greenville city limits) has a 45 minute wait early Sunday evening. This isn't the after-church crowd. Actually, the church crowd is at church in the early evening. So why is everyone still beating down the doors on a day when no alcohol is served?

Old 08-25-2013, 09:11 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,896,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Conventional wisdom: To survive as a restaurant in Greenville County, you must locate in the city limits - otherwise your Sunday sales suffer because everyone flocks to the Greenville city restaurants that serve alcohol on Sundays.

Actual practice: Red Lobster on Wade Hampton (located outside of Greenville city limits) has a 45 minute wait early Sunday evening. This isn't the after-church crowd. Actually, the church crowd is at church in the early evening. So why is everyone still beating down the doors on a day when no alcohol is served?
I think it's pretty clear to all of us that not everybody is concerned about getting alcohol. What we should really be concerned about is someone telling us that we can't buy it. What possible justifiable reason is there for us not to be able to buy alcohol on a Sunday? Liquor stores already have crazy short hours for days they can sell. Until 7pm??? WTF?! So if I worked 12 hours most days 7:15 am to 7:15 pm, I could never get my own alcohol. I mean really REALLY think about this people, even if this affects you in no way because you never go to the liquor store or whatever WHY does there need to be a limit on when it can be sold? If you can think of anything, please let me know. In the meantime, I think the rest of us should take a look at how 'free' you are supposed to be in a state that tries to claim high personal freedoms. If anything it seems this state tries very hard to say when and where you can drink, who you can and can't marry, how you can get around, how many parking spaces you must have, etc etc

Old 08-26-2013, 04:50 AM

3,514 posts, read 5,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post

Unlimited shrimp > a drink with dinner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area