U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 01:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,017 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am searching for a house to rent and will be commuting to downtown
Greenville everyday. Could someone please give me an estimate on how long that drive normally takes during the morning (8am) and evening drive times to Greer or Simpsonville?

I want to know if I can consider homes this far out as reasonable candidates.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 02:40 AM

4,858 posts, read 6,295,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus23 View Post
Hi all,

I am searching for a house to rent and will be commuting to downtown
Greenville everyday. Could someone please give me an estimate on how long that drive normally takes during the morning (8am) and evening drive times to Greer or Simpsonville?

I want to know if I can consider homes this far out as reasonable candidates.

Thanks!
I can't comment on Simpsonville, but I live in Greer. Really, it all depends on WHERE in Greer you may live. I live right off Wade Hampton, so for me, it's a straight shot to DT and wouldn't take me as long as someone who lives out in Greer, say of 101/290. Or you may find a place off 85 in Greer in which case, you'd have whatever traffic is on 85 to 385. Really all depends on WHERE in Greer you're thinking, but for me, it takes me about 20 minutes to get DT. As for traffic, personally, and coming from Miami, I wonder "what traffic?"

Old 10-10-2011, 06:56 AM

344 posts, read 709,979 times
I can't speak for Simpsonville either, but I too live in Greer- we live in the part near 85 and Pelham Rd. The traffic tends to be slow (but not stopped) near the Pelham Rd. exit off of 85 between 5-6pm. Because of where we live, I can take the Pelham Rd exit or the next exit which is Hwy 14- if the Pelham exit is backed up, I'll go on down to 14. Either way, I would still estimate the commute at 20 minutes (MAYBE 25 if the traffic was unusually heavy). I grew up here, but have lived in bigger cities too, and I have the same opinion as Eldemila- "what traffic?"

Old 10-10-2011, 06:56 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,894 posts, read 3,706,777 times
I'm just the opposite - I live just south of downtown Greenville and work in Greer (very close to the old/defunct Allen Bennett Memorial Hospital on Wade Hampton).

My commute at 7:30 am is 25+ minutes - other times outside of rush hour is about 20+ minutes.

I typically avoid Wade-Hampton due to several reasons: aesthetically unappealing and LOTS of traffic lights (of course, all out of sync). I take East North-Brushy Creek-S Buncombe (much nicer drive and no ugly billboards).

I've been commuting moderate to long distances for nearly a decade and am ready to give it up. If I were you, I'd rent a house in Greenville and have no commute - unless you absolutely must live in the Riverside school district.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:22 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,855,624 times
You can look for 30-45 minutes from Simpsonville at this time. When the contruction on I-385 is compleated it should be half that.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:44 AM

191 posts, read 366,988 times
I live in the Blue Ridge area of Greer (the Hwy 101/290 area near Lake Cunningham). I take Stallings Road all the way to Rutherford; Rutherford to Chick Springs; Chick Springs to Wade Hampton . . . and then I'm practically downtown. 25 minutes most mornings.

The drive down Stallings has its pros (driving through a golf course every day is awesome!) and its cons (it's only 1 lane each direction, so one slow driver can derail your timetable).

Old 10-14-2011, 01:44 PM

7,987 posts, read 11,197,399 times
Note that they move the lanes over / change lanes this weekend so they can work on the southbound side.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:47 PM

192 posts, read 541,041 times
Simpsonville is cookie cutter nightmare city...don't live or rent there.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:42 PM

288 posts, read 831,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin View Post
Simpsonville is cookie cutter nightmare city...don't live or rent there.
Well, that's certainly non-biased, productive advice. Those of us who choose to live in a nice, old, tree-filled Simpsonville neighborhood where the covenants state that all the houses must be unique really appreciate your insight.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:29 PM

828 posts, read 1,445,097 times
I lived in Greer or almost 8 yrs and sometimes worked Greenville I always travelled 29 [Wade Hampton]. I didn't let little things like traffic lights bother me. It let me calm down and relax before I got home [tho I will admit MOST times was late night eraly morning times I travelled] I have travelled 29 during the "rush hour"

You want rush hour Traffic try it around here in Dallas and other parts of the upstate THAT'S TRAFFIC!! You folks have NOTHING compared to what they got here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area