U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 08:20 PM

11 posts, read 21,478 times

Advertisements

I heard a news story about Occupy Wall Street in Spartanburg today. Does anyone know where I can find information about future such events in the upstate area?

Old 10-14-2011, 04:05 AM

44 posts, read 56,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiabloodlines View Post
I heard a news story about Occupy Wall Street in Spartanburg today. Does anyone know where I can find information about future such events in the upstate area?
Morning Cali,

There is a Facebook page for the Greenville group:

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

The link above actually points to the announcement of the start of the Greenville "occupation" which begins today at 8 am at McPhearson Park and apprently lasts until 16 Jan 2012. THAT is dedication!

I'd love to stop by and show my support, but I'm on third shift the next few days, which generally brings my life to a screeching halt.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:02 PM

212 posts, read 370,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobster1 View Post
If people have time to protest, then they have time to go to work, too. I have an acre of yard with about 15 big trees in it that will need to be raked in a few weeks. Any "Occupy ______" protesters interested?

Old 10-14-2011, 01:33 PM

83 posts, read 134,875 times
There is nothing wrong with making a statement for something you believe in. These are the principles upon which our country was founded.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:35 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,952,298 times
My only real issue with these protests is their apparently permanent nature. I mean sure - protest, let your opinion be known, get news coverage and increase awareness, etc., but at a certain point, it's time to go home - "Move along folks, there's nothing more to see here..."

Old 10-14-2011, 01:45 PM

4,414 posts, read 3,348,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
My only real issue with these protests is their apparently permanent nature. I mean sure - protest, let your opinion be known, get news coverage and increase awareness, etc., but at a certain point, it's time to go home - "Move along folks, there's nothing more to see here..."
Thing is they have been going on for weeks. It's the "occupy" portion that has allowed this to gather any steam. Unless your movement is being bankrolled by one of the world largest media companies and a couple of billionaires, a single march or two isn't going to get a blip of attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecial
If people have time to protest, then they have time to go to work, too. I have an acre of yard with about 15 big trees in it that will need to be raked in a few weeks. Any "Occupy ______" protesters interested?
I think you've found the solution to the unemployment and income inequality problem in America... Raking leaves. If only we had more odd jobs with no insurance or benefits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobster1
Did you post that little response on an internet you created with no government assistance?

Old 10-14-2011, 01:52 PM

5,681 posts, read 9,952,298 times
Just remember folks.... Nobody EVER said life was fair. You play the hand you're dealt. There ARE jobs out there - plenty of them. But people are so programmed to want a certain type of job or work. If times are tough, you sacrifice and work 2 of those kinds of jobs if you have to to support yourself or family. Then you can work your way up or into a better job somewhere else.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,934,615 times
If you are hungry you rake leaves, trim trees, do laundry at home, mend .. whatever it takes to put food on the table. You do not get benefits but you don't report it either. 15 trees? Take your rider with a bagger and mulch the rest. Its easy pay and mulching is good for the yard .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area