U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 03:32 PM

18 posts, read 199,570 times

Advertisements

Looking in the GSP area for a place to raise family. I have a 9 year old and 7 year old, both very heavy into sports (Football, baseball, cheerleading, softball). Looking for a place with young families, safe, great schools where kids will be challenged academically, and that has a lot of community pride with good middle school/high scool athletic programs.

In terms of housing we will be renting until we can sell some of our property so $1500 range.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 PM

Bump! Need some advice!

Old 11-02-2011, 07:36 AM

5,402 posts, read 6,068,010 times
Just at first blush, I'd say the Simpsonville area (could include other parts of the Golden Strip such as Mauldin or Fountain Inn) should fit the bill. Many people say the schools in the Powdersville area of Anderson county (very close to Greenville) are great. That area is also growing, with new shopping options and other things coming along. Then there's the Eastside of Greenville. It's a bit on the expensive side, but has great neighborhoods and amenities. The Greer area is nice as well; the Eastside and Taylors/Greer areas overlap some. All these areas have plentiful rental housing in different price ranges.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:38 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,838,496 times
Welcome to the Greenville/Upstate area.

This is a loaded question and, since City-Data is an opinion board, you will get lots of opinions. The Greenville County School District is one gigantic school system - there are no city schools in SC.

Generally, the best schools in the Greenville county area are Riverside Middle and High with its feeder elementary schools, Mauldin schools, and (if you want to live close to downtown Greenville) Sara Collins/Beck/JL Mann & Stone/League/Greenville High. Please note that a dedicated neighborhood middle school - just for Parkins Mill residents - is scheduled for completion in 2014. This should really increase the appeal for that area. Also note there is a gifted elementary/middle school: Charles Towne Center (grades 3-8) - very close to Greenville's downtown.

As far as rural Greenville county, Spartanburg county, Anderson county and Pickens county schools, I know very little. Realize that the Greenville-Spartanburg metro is incredibly spread out and offers a multitude of diverse public schools.

There are numerous family friendly areas - please take time to explore the entire Upstate.

Last edited by drfranklin; 11-02-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 11-02-2011, 09:16 AM

192 posts, read 394,043 times
Don't do simpsonville...it's a cookie cutter, urban sprawl, nightmare. 1500 a month will get you a nice place actually in Greenville. No need to move way out to simpsonville.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:42 AM

5,402 posts, read 6,068,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin View Post
Don't do simpsonville...it's a cookie cutter, urban sprawl, nightmare. 1500 a month will get you a nice place actually in Greenville. No need to move way out to simpsonville.
I would have suggested Greenville proper, but figured it would be more expensive; and I don't know - the OP's description of what they were after just sounded more suburban-ish to me.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:49 AM

402 posts, read 358,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin View Post
Well, I think it is important to point out that this is just a personal opinion.
I live in Simpsonville with my family and even though I would never live here as a single, I think it is a decent place to raise a family.
Houses are not too expansive right now, it is a safe place to raise a family, shopping on Fairview Rd. is convinient, we have the city park, Southside park, Heritage park and the YMCA for sports activities within 5-10 minutes. Greenville is a quick ride straight up I385.
Yes, there are a lot of Cookie Cutter neighborhoods, but we have plenty of kids here, it is safe and clean and the kids are happy. That's good enough for me. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Simpsonville is the place to be but to call it a nightmare is a joke. I guess yo haven't seen nightmare places. And we pay a lot less than $1500 for a very nice place (although we don't rent).
I honestly think, Simpsonville would be a place that the OP is looking for.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:18 AM

62 posts, read 74,199 times
The North Main area of Greenville is a great area. If you can get in the school zone for Summit Drive elementary, League Academy and Greenville High then you'll be set. They are all great schools and there is also access to the Fine Arts Center when they reach high school (or the Career Center at Donaldson). If they prefer studies over sports when they get older you could look into getting them into Greenville Tech's Charter High School where I've seen high school kids graduate with an associates degree...

Greenville High has a GREAT football team and cheerleading squad as well as lacrosse, soccer and baseball team. Also, if they are more the 'brainy' type, there is a program called PLTW (Project: Lead The Way) where CAD and programming skills are taught. There is also a robotics team (or there was when I was there, IDK if it is still there; I graduated in '07).

From your description, you probably want the North Main St area of Greenville. (I'm a little biased as this is where I grew up. LOVE it)

Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Thanks, great information! Sports are very important, but not to the point of being overboard where everyone thinks their kid is an all american and parents become a problem. Schools also important in the fact we are looking for a place where kids are accepting and disicipline problems are at a minimum. We want to kids to be challenged academically as well. Grew up in Asheville and looking forward to getting the kids back closer to the grand parents. Also not looking to get into a community of "eliteist" but want to be around good friendly people.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:59 PM

62 posts, read 74,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossd2073 View Post
Thanks, great information! Sports are very important, but not to the point of being overboard where everyone thinks their kid is an all american and parents become a problem. Schools also important in the fact we are looking for a place where kids are accepting and disicipline problems are at a minimum. We want to kids to be challenged academically as well. Grew up in Asheville and looking forward to getting the kids back closer to the grand parents. Also not looking to get into a community of "eliteist" but want to be around good friendly people.
As far as 'elitists' go, if you stay away from Agusta St you shouldn't have a problem with that. The historic district has a little but not much at all.

For sports, Greenville High is where it's at. Especially football. Greenville High is definitely a football school. A little big but it is a great education. It does get some troublemakers just because of the way it's zoned but I believe the staff does a great job of keeping things in order. Newly renovated (back in 2005 or 2006 I think) so the facility is great (and it's the renovated original building so it has some history and character to it as well).

League Academy...I'm not sure how big into sports they are. Honestly I can't remember. I believe they are decently. I know they're know for being a "school for the literary arts". They built a brand-new building not too long ago.

Summit Drive Elementary as well received a brand new building not too long ago.

I lived on Druid St growing up. It's a few streets over from Main St by Rutherford. It's a great area, you should look into it. Honestly it's my favorite area of Greenville and I plan on moving back there when the opportunity arises (and I'd like to buy the house I grew-up in). Growing up there, I remember getting into some trouble but nothing criminal. Like ding-dong-ditch and throwing snow-balls at cars in the winter. It's not over-run with riff-raffs or anything. And honestly we were probably the most troublesome group of kids around. lol. Making friends was easy. People are very down-to-earth. My dad actually still lives over in that area (but no longer on Druid).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area