Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:21 AM

13 posts, read 52,383 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just arrived here and I've heard many of US cities provide some free english courses. So I just take this chance to ask if anyone happen to know some free english lessons around this area? I live in Simpsonville, but it's totally OK for me to drive to Greenville if there are some there.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:54 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,128 times
While not free, the cost is very low ?$1? from Greenville Literacy Association : The Greenville Literacy Association: Opening New Worlds

Old 10-17-2011, 12:59 PM

123 posts, read 437,318 times
Here's a couple of links I found for you. Most of the free courses seem to provided by local churches. You might want to check with your local library to see if they of any ESL courses in your area. You can also check with your local employment office to see if they offer English classes as part of their workforce training.

English as a Second Language (ESL) - Cornerstone Baptist Church - Greenville, SC

ESL Classes || Horizon Church – Greenville, SC

Educational Services in Spartanburg, SC

Simpsonville ESL/ESOL Tutoring & Lessons

English as a Second Language (ESL)

Old 10-17-2011, 01:09 PM

I found another one. It's free and in Simpsonville http://www.fbcsimpsonville.org/adult/article269103c4714945.htm (broken link)

Old 10-17-2011, 01:10 PM

12,877 posts, read 18,733,766 times
Are the courses subsidized so that the teachers get paid? I have a B.A. in English and majored in it because I was good at it, not to get good at it. But my B.A. wasn't free. My credentials in grammar and writing are strong. I was also a token American student in the international village at USC during college. I helped international students with their English then, but now I'd want some dinero...sorry. Knowing how to speak and write properly in the English language is a valuable asset because it is quickly becoming a lost art. Paying to attain those skills would be a good investment. As long as those qualified to teach English as a second language are getting compensated so as not to pull down the value and marketability of their skills, I'm good.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Are the courses subsidized so that the teachers get paid? I have a B.A. in English and majored in it because I was good at it, not to get good at it. But my B.A. wasn't free. My credentials in grammar and writing are strong. I was also a token American student in the international village at USC during college. I helped international students with their English then, but now I'd want some dinero...sorry. Knowing how to speak and write properly in the English language is a valuable asset because it is quickly becoming a lost art. Paying to attain those skills would be a good investment. As long as those qualified to teach English as a second language are getting compensated so as not to pull down the value and marketability of their skills, I'm good.
The free courses are offered by Christian churches as a service to the community. The teachers donate their spare time freely and willingly to help these new residents and to answer Christ's call to be servants & to love our neighbors. For that reason, they are not seeking any monetary compensation. Materials are provided by church member's contributions. They know that many new citizens will not be able to get good jobs and will remain in poverty unless they have these valuable English language skills. The courses may not be a substitute for a university degree but they are a stepping stone onto that path.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:07 PM

12,877 posts, read 18,733,766 times
Too bad a bunch of engineers don't get together and engineer some free electricity for no pay, or better yet some free natural gas. Winter's coming. Some areas of expertise for some reason are expected to be tapped for free, though. You get what you pay for.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Too bad a bunch of engineers don't get together and engineer some free electricity for no pay, or better yet some free natural gas. Winter's coming. Some areas of expertise for some reason are expected to be tapped for free, though. You get what you pay for.
If you don't want to volunteer then don't. No one is forcing you to. The reason that groups offer free ESL classes is because there are some people who can not afford to pay for classes. Just because someone is poor doesn't mean that they don't deserve an opportunity to better themselves. A handful of big-hearted volunteers teaching English to new immigrants does not in any way devalue the teaching profession.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLovesCarolina View Post
Here's a couple of links I found for you. Most of the free courses seem to provided by local churches. You might want to check with your local library to see if they of any ESL courses in your area. You can also check with your local employment office to see if they offer English classes as part of their workforce training.

English as a Second Language (ESL) - Cornerstone Baptist Church - Greenville, SC

ESL Classes || Horizon Church – Greenville, SC

Educational Services in Spartanburg, SC

Simpsonville ESL/ESOL Tutoring & Lessons

English as a Second Language (ESL)
Thank you for these information, I really appreciate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area