U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 07:57 PM

170 posts, read 797,731 times

Advertisements

Still toying with the idea of moving to Greenville. Over the past few years
have noticed that a lot of the builders no longer exist. We have also noticed a lot of incomplete subdivisions. What builders would you stay away from and what new subdivisions would you stay away from?
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fallgirl
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 08:01 PM

145 posts, read 309,917 times
I cant recommend DR Horton builders, I have watched quite a few of them built in the neighborhood we are renting in and they are put together way to quickly and not built well IMO

Old 10-19-2011, 06:53 AM

212 posts, read 370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallgirl View Post
Still toying with the idea of moving to Greenville. Over the past few years
have noticed that a lot of the builders no longer exist. We have also noticed a lot of incomplete subdivisions. What builders would you stay away from and what new subdivisions would you stay away from?
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fallgirl
What is the price range? Most builders build houses within certain price ranges. If you want $100,000 to $300,000 you will get a certain list of builders, but if you want $300,000 to $999,999 then there will be a whole different list. Usually, over $1 mil. is yet another group of builders. That is not a real breakdown, but just some round figures, so obviously, there is significant overlap.

It would help to know if you want cookie-cutter or totally custom, how large, type of development desired, etc.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:10 PM

170 posts, read 797,731 times
Default Builders

Good point. Builders in the range from upper 100's to 250ish.
Thanks,
Fallgirl

Old 10-20-2011, 12:25 PM

68 posts, read 117,199 times
My parents bought an all brick Adams Home for under 200K (about 2000 sq ft) and the quality is pretty good.
I am living in an SK builders home and it isn't so hot.
I am building a custom home and used a small local contractor that had a great story and told great tales, and had good references, it has been a nightmare. Worst of the 6 construction projects that I have undertaken in my life.

Look out for the small "custom" guys. They are all underfunded and starving, if something isnt right or goes wrong they have no "muscle" behind them to correct errors or mistakes.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:09 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,529,222 times
Anyone know anything about "America's Home Place"? I know they are all over in the south.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:53 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,842,570 times
Checkout Woodstone Cottages and Bluestone Cottages, developed and built by Rosewood of the Piedmont. Their website is New Homes For Sale Greenville SC | Rosewood Communities. They build a quality home for a fair price.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:56 PM

119 posts, read 214,099 times
As a owner of a Rosewood home - I am not very happy. We were here during the entire building process and though we had a good eye on things... Then my father came into town he nearly blew a gasket when he saw some of the shortcuts taken by the crew and some shoddy workmanship.

I completely understand that it could just be he was being nit-picky since he IS my dad and in construction.

I truly hate to be negative - but I could never recommend a Rosewood house (btw ours was in the 240k range, built two years ago - if that helps).

Old 10-20-2011, 08:06 PM

145 posts, read 309,917 times
Any thought on Regal homes for that price range??

Old 10-21-2011, 10:37 AM

12 posts, read 15,307 times
I don't think it's fair to say that this is true of "all" small business custom builders because it's simply not true. My husband has been building custom houses on the Cliffs of Glassy for almost 15 years and has ALWAYS stood behind his work and left EVERY client he had satisfied with their new home. He has never had a bad reference. He has always followed up and been there for his clients for years after the completion too.
There are other small business custom builders that are honest and have integrity too. Best thing you can do is get a lot of references and go look at their work. If they are worthy....they won't mind providing this for you.

But please, don't stereotype the small business owner. I would think you'd find more quality there than in the mega builders that tend to throw together homes in assembly line fashion.

[quote=BrianPK;21365935

Look out for the small "custom" guys. They are all underfunded and starving, if something isnt right or goes wrong they have no "muscle" behind them to correct errors or mistakes.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area