U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 06:07 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,425,881 times

Advertisements

Just saw this - sorry. The information was very unclear to us on the DMV website. My husband went in person and paid the fees. My 7 year old car was about $160 a year just to register; my husband's car is $240 for a five year old car, just to drive the car - then you have registration fees. Hope this helps - sorry don't have more info.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 12:30 PM

11 posts, read 19,904 times
Just my 2 cents, but I think you should at least look into Greenville. It's a lot different than it was in the 70s. A lot of money that was going to Spartanburg was lost over the past few decades as companies have shut down and shifted overseas. Since then about 70 million dollars has been injected into the downtown area. Downtown Greenville is a great place, and safe, with a lot to do.

Rent is pretty cheap if you plan on apt living for a while until you get your feet. My wife and I currently live in a great, crime-free, neighborhood very close to everything. We pay about 559$ a month, water included, for a 2bed 2bath. I've seen one bedrooms as low as 400$ a month in the winter when rates are low. There are also much nicer areas that go for a lot more.

If your son has any interest in college, Clemson and USC upstate are both within driving distance and you get a lot of degrees at the local USC and Clemson campus in Greenville. Greenville tech is also a great place to take classes if he wants to find out more about where he academic interests may lie. As a side note, once you have full time employment in SC and a permanent residence you can fill out a form and petition for in-state tuition at SC universities. My wife was able to get in-state tuition after we only lived here for a few months.

New businesses are constantly opening and hiring people. It may be minimum wage or close to it, but it's an option. There are some newer areas of Spartanburg that are finally starting to come back as well.

I'd say that Greenville is a great place to start if you're trying to start over. It's in the middle of everything and is very convenient to most places. Once you get more situated down here maybe then you could think about where you could see yourself buying a house or settling down. I know Easley is a great town and a lot of people I work with live there and love it. Greer is also starting to grow a bit with quite a few shopping centers popping up along the main roads, especially closer to BMW.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 PM

11 posts, read 12,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraydnerv View Post
Having been asked to take an early retirement by my employer for financial reasons, my 19yr old son & I have decided to pack up & find a new home. Currently in New England -- too cold, too expensive. I lived in Spartanburg many, many years ago (1970s). Returned briefly (about year & 1/2) in early 90's, & my son was actually born in Spartanburg in 92. We don't have a lot of money, my job here will probably end around April. My severance will hopefully get us through until we can settle in somewhere. Big step, but we've both been through a lot, and need the change. We will be renting, lost the house up here in July. Knowing work is not plentiful anywhere, I realize I may have to draw on my retirement, which is not large. No Soc Sec until 2014 at earliest. So... looking for decent living on a low budget. Thanks for any advice. We were thinking Charlotte, but now we are leaning more toward Spartanburg area. I look forward to moving, always liked living there. I expect it's pretty different now, I barely recognize anything from pictures online. Don't want to move into city itself, thinking one of smaller surrounding towns, maybe Greer? Any thoughts?
Hi fraydnerv, My husband and I are from upstate N.Y. ( Saratoga area) and looking to move to Greenville area. We will be renting also. We are on a limitid budget also since I am on SSI disablity due to back surgery. So if you here of a desent area to rent without breaking the bank could you let me know since you seem to know some of the area. Thanks, Sharon

Old 11-02-2011, 12:30 PM

11 posts, read 19,904 times
I don't know if you're looking for a stand alone house rental or an apt, but I can give you an idea of what to expect pricewise. Home rentals are few and far between in the greenville area. Most people own their homes to live in, not to rent out. And, in most cases that I've seen, you end up paying more to rent than to just buy the same house. If you're lucky the rent will be priced at monthly mortgage + homeowner's insurance. If you're unlucky, the rent will included the landlord's cost of upkeep and mortgage insurance. You can find a few good rentals out farther from Greenville, but the areas are hit or miss. I found that half the time I went to go look at a rental away from Greenville, it was in a rundown trailer area. My opinion is that, if you're able, the best option is to rent an apt for cheap and save for a downpayment on a house in this area. Rates are so low right now and most areas qualify for USDA or FHA loans.

For apts I know a bit more. I looked for apts in the area for about 2 years before I finally stoped commuting and moved here. The best area I found for reliability and ease of access was the area between pelham rd and woodruff rd. More specifically Roper Mtn Rd and the rds directly off of it. You are about 5 mins or less from I-85, 285, 2 wal-marts, and multiple shopping centers. The roper mtn rd area is surrounded by businesses and higher end neighborhoods. This keeps people who are up to no good from wandering into the neighborhoods. The majority of people renting in the area are also professionals with kids. Most work at IBM, GE, Goodyear, Fluor, or BMW. So low rent doesn't necessarily mean low security or high crime. For specific prices, I know of pretty good apt neighborhoods where 1bed/1baths are currently $499 and 2bed 2baths are $599. The prices will drop again in the next month or so as winter hits. There are also nicer apt complexes for a little bit more in rent just up the rd or on pelham if you prefer nicer fixtures and ammenities. Some of the nicer 3 bedroom townhomes are as low as $850.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:54 PM

241 posts, read 664,271 times
Schopper9: Interesting that you are from upstate NY, I grew up there, north of Binghamton. Sounds like you are moving very soon, I'm not going til probably May. Wish I could help you, but I haven't lived in the area for 20years, so I don't really know it anymore. I lived in SC from 1972 -1985, first Spartanburg, then migrated over to Columbia. Then I was back briefly in 1991-1992. I always loved it though. People here in the north tell me they can always tell if I'm on the phone with someone from the South 'cuz I start "drawling" lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area