U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,325 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband has a job interview in North Spartanburg, SC. I am really confused because I see Spartanburg, but no "North" It is at a fire department. Anyone know the difference? Perhaps it's the county.

Can anyone give me any information about the area? I've found that Spartanburg has almost 3 times the national average of crime and it has the nickname "The Detroit of the South" Coming from Michigan, that is saying A LOT.

I'm concerned about safety as well as the cost of living. Any information would be so very helpful!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 08:16 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,838 posts, read 3,526,803 times
I believe they're referring to northern Spartanburg county only. That area is semi-rural, very safe, with some nice views of the SC/NC mountains.

As for "Detroit of the South", Spartanburg does have the North American headquarters of BMW.

The cost of living in the Upstate is quite low.

Please "search" as there are numerous threads re your concerns.

Coming from Michigan, this will be a welcome change for you and your family. The winter climate here is much better and the entire area is family-friendly.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:42 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,442,597 times
I would never live in the city for the crime reasons. The sheriff just said this idiot thing too: Sheriff: Time For Citizens To Arm Themselves - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville. Way to try and give your city a better reputation.

The country especially the northern part near the mountains would probably be ok, pretty too. But remember if you need to go shopping you will probably have to go to the city.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:16 AM

344 posts, read 690,044 times
We lived in Spartanburg for 2 years. My husband is based in Charlotte, so we thought we'd try to get a little closer to CLT without actually leaving the Upstate. The crime was terrible and noticeably worse- after 2 years, we moved back to Greer/Greenville and I don't have a lot of positive things to say about Spartanburg. That being said, the northern part of Spartanburg County is a lot more rural, and is very pretty. I'm more of a city person, but if I liked country living and HAD to live in Spartanburg again, that's where I would settle. Regarding the article that Saucy posted, we felt the need to purchase two handguns while living in Spartanburg. I've never been anti-gun, but we didn't own any until we lived there. We lived in a nice neighborhood that was regarded as "safe" but due to all the crime in the area, we got an alarm system and bought a gun for each of us.

Last edited by FitMom77; 11-05-2011 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-05-2011, 10:27 AM

344 posts, read 690,044 times
I wanted to add that if your husband does get the job, you're not limited to living in Spartanburg County. I know several people who live in Greenville County and work in Spartanburg. Also, Duncan and Moore are areas that are in Spartanburg County, but are pretty much right in between Greenville and Spartanburg County- those are both nice, family friendly areas and you don't hear as much about crime there. The Upstate of SC is beautiful, and you have a lot of options for places to live- you can avoid the higher crime areas. We live in Greer, and it's about 25-30 minutes to Spartanburg, depending on which area we would be headed to.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,668,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
As for "Detroit of the South", Spartanburg does have the North American headquarters of BMW.
Not to split hairs, but BMW Manufacturing Co. is based in Spartanburg; the N. American HQ for BMW is in Woodcliff Lake, NJ (but it would be cool/make sense to consolidate everything in the Upstate, IMO).

Old 11-05-2011, 01:29 PM

4,379 posts, read 6,066,906 times
The sheriff is right. These losers like this guy are a waste of air. I have no problem with people legally carrying a weapon.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:21 PM

748 posts, read 1,848,421 times
North Spartanburg is referring to a fire district. These are not usually synonymous with the names of towns. When people say "North Spartanburg" as an area they are usually talking about the general area around Spartanburg Community College/N. Blackstock Rd./Asheville Hwy. area before getting into Inman. I believe that the North Spartanburg Fire District covers this area. Parts of this area are in the city limits of Spartanburg and I'm guessing parts are in the unincorporated part of Spartanburg. Now, "Northern Spartanburg County" would usually mean towns closer to the NC/SC border like Landrum, Campobello, Chesnee, etc. Confusing, right?

As for "Detroit of the South" - I agree with what others have said. I find that this is rarely used, but when it is, it is referring to BMW North American Manufacturing HQ being in Spartanburg County - and all the other ancillary automotive part manufacturers that are in the area too. So not the crime thing.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:38 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,364,996 times
We live in Inman, which is just north of Spartanburg, and love it. Not much going on here at all, whether it's crime, parties, loud noise. Just dairy cows grazing down the road, and woods across the street. My husband is from Michigan and likes it okay.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:16 PM

302 posts, read 692,391 times
I lived until a couple of months ago in the city limits of Spartanburg and it really wasn't that bad. We didn't have an alarm system and our house was never broken into. Our car was never broken into. Really, we only once had a crime incident in about 20 years. The kid across the street had a bb gun and accidentally broke our front window. That could happen anywhere.

There are bad parts of the city, but for the most part, the city is perfectly fine. The bad parts are in pretty concentrated areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area