U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 07:56 PM

5 posts, read 6,477 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have visited the Clemson/Seneca area, this past summer, looking for a house to buy. We are both retired and anxious to relocate to a less stressful environment. We love any outdoor activities and want to be located in an area where hiking, camping, boating, FISHING (me), hunting, and golf are close by. Are there other areas besides the ones we visited that might be what we're looking for? I don't want to rule out anything until we get a chance to investigate the area. Also, we'd like to have a couple of acres of land to ensure our privacy and relaxation. We've lived in a housing development for the last thirty years and our neighbors were always too close and often too noisy. Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 08:17 PM

780 posts, read 1,201,451 times
I'd say the Clemson/Seneca/Anderson area fits the bill nicely for what you're looking for. It has all the outdoor amenities you like, and the cost of living is reasonable. You might also check out the Travelers Rest area, which is just a few miles north of Greenville, as well as the Inman/Landrum area just to the north of Spartanburg. All of these areas are close to the mountains and have access to outdoor activities, yet housing/land is not nearly as expensive as it is just a few miles to the north across the state line in NC.

I've also heard good things about Aiken, which is between Augusta and Columbia. Only drawback there is that it's not as close to the mountains...however, it is a couple of hours closer to the beach and Charleston.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:07 PM

282 posts, read 674,056 times
I would suggest looking at the Dacusville, Six Mile, Pickens, and surrounding areas. You are still close to everything that you are mentioning but all of these have a more rural feel and you tend to get more for your money!

Old 11-07-2011, 05:34 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,953,331 times
The above suggestions are good ones. I'd suggest looking anywhere along the SC Hwy 11 corridor between the Clemson/Seneca area and US Hwy 25 - depending on your price range, there are quite a few upscale lakefront and/or mountain-oriented developments.

There are several nice townhome communities on the shores of Lake Hartwell in & around Anderson - plus there, you'll enjoy a low cost of living combined with a short drive to restaurants, big-box shopping, necessities, etc in Anderson.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:47 AM

UpstateBooster,
Great suggestion also on the Hwy 11 corridor. There are also homes located on a couple of acres or more up there as well.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:18 PM

5 posts, read 6,477 times
I'd like to learn more about the Route 11 corridor suggested but I'm not sure where to start. What are the major towns along the route? Where can I go for more information? Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated as it will assist us in making a decision based on good information and facts. Thanks...

Old 11-08-2011, 07:35 PM

The major towns would be Pickens, Sunset, and Salem along the Highway 11 corridor that are keeping you close to Lake Keowee and Lake Jocassee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area