U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 10:51 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,954,319 times

Advertisements

From a story on greenvilleonline.com: Couple converting vacant Travelers Rest storefront to bakery, bistro | The Greenville News | GreenvilleOnline.com

"The couple describes Upcountry Provisions as a Midwestern concept that’s fairly new to this area.

“Provision is any kind of food or supplies. It’s pretty broad and allows us to have a lot of flexibility on what our offerings are going to be,” said Stephen Kraus, a native of St. Louis, Mo. “We can do baked goods, cheeses, dry goods or anything without having to say we’re just a bakery, a sandwich shop or pizza shop.”

Upcountry Provisions can “kind of tailor our offerings to what Travelers Rest needs, what the demand is in addition to doing our bakery and bistro,” Cheryl Kraus said.

All the bakery work will be done near the large window in front of the building so that passersby can see the work being done.

“The customers can feel like they’re part of the process. There’s a level of trust there, to be able to see their food being made,” Stephen Kraus said."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 11:02 AM

7,987 posts, read 11,208,168 times
Sounds like a great idea.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:44 PM

65 posts, read 91,375 times
I like the idea. It makes me wish I lived closer to TR. However, I wonder how much business they'll get in TR? Leopard Forest and the Cafe seem to get good business...

Old 11-07-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwint View Post
I like the idea. It makes me wish I lived closer to TR. However, I wonder how much business they'll get in TR? Leopard Forest and the Cafe seem to get good business...
They should be different enough to do well I'd think.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:24 PM

745 posts, read 1,973,877 times
That sounds like a good fit. I go to both Williams and Leopard Forest, but a good bakery would add another dimension to downtown. Williams in particular seems to be doing very well, and they've reached out to trail riders with bike racks and water bottle filling station. A number of people on the trail come in.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:51 PM

5,639 posts, read 5,600,385 times
Wish they called it Upstate Provisions, not Upcountry, very few people refer to this area as the Upcountry.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Wish they called it Upstate Provisions, not Upcountry, very few people refer to this area as the Upcountry.
I believe they're probably thinking "upcountry" better suits the location and more outdoorsy types that frequent the SRT and nearby Sunrift Adventures.

Then there's the Upcountry History Museum near downtown Greenville...

Old 11-08-2011, 10:52 AM

5,639 posts, read 5,600,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I believe they're probably thinking "upcountry" better suits the location and more outdoorsy types that frequent the SRT and nearby Sunrift Adventures.

Then there's the Upcountry History Museum near downtown Greenville...
I love the irony of your post coming from UpstateBooster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area