Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 09:56 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times

Advertisements

It's no metropolis, that's for sure so if that's what you're looking for you'll be disappointed. But it has just enough of everything (residential, shopping, dining, arts, natural beauty) to satisfy, if not delight, most folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 AM

212 posts, read 423,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe Pride View Post
Even in comparison to cities of the same size, I still don't think Greenville is the best I've lived in or visited. I'm not saying it isn't nice- downtown Greenville is charming. But there are other places of similar size that have bigger parks, more history, more walkable, etc. that I prefer over Greenville.

AustinTraveler, I think your analysis of Greenville is spot-on. We've have a nice town here, and I hope you enjoyed your visit, but this board doesn't lend itself to objective opinions about the place. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Opinions are always subjective. Analyses can be objective, but in using terms of preference (nice, enjoyable, favorite), we are still dealing with opinions here.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:39 AM

45 posts, read 81,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecial View Post
Opinions are always subjective. Analyses can be objective, but in using terms of preference (nice, enjoyable, favorite), we are still dealing with opinions here.
True. I should have used a different word instead of objective- maybe balanced? That's more what I was trying to say- that many people on this forum don't tend to give a balanced perspective of Greenville. Which frankly I think detracts from their argument; when you speak in superlatives and gloss over the drawbacks of a city, it causes people to question how much you're at least willing to try and be objective about the place. I realize that opinions are subjective, but I think that it's only fair to people reading this forum (and particularly those seeking advice) to try and provide balanced information.
Hope that makes sense.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:16 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe Pride View Post
Even in comparison to cities of the same size, I still don't think Greenville is the best I've lived in or visited. I'm not saying it isn't nice- downtown Greenville is charming. But there are other places of similar size that have bigger parks, more history, more walkable, etc. that I prefer over Greenville.

AustinTraveler, I think your analysis of Greenville is spot-on. We've have a nice town here, and I hope you enjoyed your visit, but this board doesn't lend itself to objective opinions about the place. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Just as an observation: you seem awfully defensive in your statements. No one, that I'm aware of, has dissed AutinTraveler because of their views. We all appreciate his or her experience and the sharing of it. You seem to be eager to jump in their corner with your fists up ready for a fight. What gives?

And since you use this to compare cities: nobody would EVER tell you that Greenville has more history to offer than other cities its size. One word: Charleston.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:46 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
Just as an observation: you seem awfully defensive in your statements. No one, that I'm aware of, has dissed AutinTraveler because of their views. We all appreciate his or her experience and the sharing of it. You seem to be eager to jump in their corner with your fists up ready for a fight. What gives?

And since you use this to compare cities: nobody would EVER tell you that Greenville has more history to offer than other cities its size. One word: Charleston.
This is pretty harsh. I think Tribe is just trying to say that he/she doesn't believe the posts here are very balanced. Makes sense to me since I didn't see the same Greenville that I "saw" in the forums. Tribe probably just doesn't view the city that way either. Nothing wrong with that. I appreciate hearing both sides and I certainly don't think that Tribe is looking for a fight. I think Tribe just doesn't view Greenville as being all that. Nothing wrong with that, and it's something I can understand.

As for the other places we ate, they were Soby's, Lazy Goat, and Velo Fellow. I thought Soby's and Lazy Goat were okay, but nothing great. Had a really good Cobb Salad at Velo Fellow (I think that was the name of the pub). Really wanted to go back to Lemongrass or Nose Dive but both were closed on Sunday.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:09 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,321,975 times
Sorry that it didn't fit you guys, it's not for everyone. Maybe as we continue to grow and change, you will be able to find something you like about it if you ever come back.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:17 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
This is pretty harsh. I think Tribe is just trying to say that he/she doesn't believe the posts here are very balanced. Makes sense to me since I didn't see the same Greenville that I "saw" in the forums. Tribe probably just doesn't view the city that way either. Nothing wrong with that. I appreciate hearing both sides and I certainly don't think that Tribe is looking for a fight. I think Tribe just doesn't view Greenville as being all that. Nothing wrong with that, and it's something I can understand.
"this board doesn't lend itself to objection opinions about this place" is what tribe stated. Yet, as far as I see, your analysis of our town was NOT taken in such a way or responded to in a way to try and discredit your opinion. Maybe some past posts gave him/her this feeling, but in no way should they insinuate that they're the only one who appreciates what you have to say. Because, I too, would like to hear about your visit and thoughts. That's all I'm saying. He or she is painting with a broad stroke.

As far as the restaurants, I still have yet to give Velo Fellow a try. It's on my list, though! Trappe Door (Belgian cuisine) is a good one, if you ever find yourself back in the area!

Old 11-15-2011, 12:22 PM

45 posts, read 81,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post

As for the other places we ate, they were Soby's, Lazy Goat, and Velo Fellow. I thought Soby's and Lazy Goat were okay, but nothing great. Had a really good Cobb Salad at Velo Fellow (I think that was the name of the pub). Really wanted to go back to Lemongrass or Nose Dive but both were closed on Sunday.
Thanks. You said more clearly what I was trying to say regarding the value of balanced/various points of view.

Gvillsc- If my agreement with AustinTraveler's observations of our fair city, and my disagreement with the original opinion posed in this thread, make me come across as defensive, then so be it. That wasn't my intent. I simply wanted to add another perspective to the discussion.
And I certainly don't think anyone has bashed AustinTraveler. I think everyone has responded graciously to his/her thoughts on visiting. I was trying to do the same.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:05 PM

83 posts, read 154,989 times
To add another perspective, I think one of the reason we (natives) tend to provide a positive outlook is that we:
a) have seen how far the City has come, and
b) have a good sense of just how rapidly things continue to develop/improve

I understand your point of view, but I won't apologize for our pride in Greenville, for it is largely due to the great level of pride/civic involvement of our citizens that we have made it this far

Old 11-15-2011, 03:15 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvilleGB View Post
To add another perspective, I think one of the reason we (natives) tend to provide a positive outlook is that we:
a) have seen how far the City has come, and
b) have a good sense of just how rapidly things continue to develop/improve

I understand your point of view, but I won't apologize for our pride in Greenville, for it is largely due to the great level of pride/civic involvement of our citizens that we have made it this far
Very well-put! My partner & I have seen such great change and progress in just the 11 years we've been here.... We want to stick around and see so many projects come to fruition and this area just keep getting better & better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area