Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 11:15 AM

254 posts, read 1,142,279 times

Advertisements

I know there is a Baptist church on every corner and Bob Jones used to about own the city. It that still true? Is their influence waning or picking up speed? Is the city/county still considered VERY conservative?

Does anyone know of any Anabaptist leaning churches in the area without being full blown Mennonite? I know there are Mennonites in some nearby areas in the general Upstate area but by Anabaptist leaning I would mean a good emphasis on conservative family church life without the constant emphasis on mixing patriotism and politics with church life but rather an emphasis on non-resistance and non-combative evangelism and a non-market driven mentality. We also want to stay away from the fancy programmed slick & smooth religious entertainment scene. We like the idea of Greenville being a conservative city but I just cant understand a politician or used car salesmen behind the pulpit, and I'm ok with politicians (in their place).

Sorry if this sounds hard to some out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 11:52 AM

83 posts, read 483,992 times
The largest group of voters in the county are both economically and socially conservative. There is a somewhat smaller group, but still substantial, who are economically conservative but not socially conservative. These vary from outright libertarians to the "country club conservatives" who are very influential in the more wealthy voting districts in the city and county. There are a lot of people - mostly low or low-middle income, salt of the earth folks, who are socially conservative but not economically conservative. The group that seems to be growing the fastest is the group of people who are neither socially nor economically conservative. Call them liberal, call them progressive, they are growing as Greenville becomes more diverse, but are still very much in the minority.

I can't answer your question about anabaptists and Mennonites.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:33 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,838,963 times
search the forum, there are lots of answers to your questions

Old 08-27-2007, 09:34 PM

617 posts, read 2,571,732 times
I don't know how Bob Jones "about owned the city". It's never had any affect on me or anyone I know. So...yeah.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:46 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,369,761 times
BJU has had an impact on the city and still does to a certain degree, though it could easily be argued that its present impact is more favorable to the fine art industry than anything else. Most people who know little or nothing about the school automatically think it is a place to avoid at all cost, yet if they would open their minds even a little they would realize the very high level of training art students receive on campus. To say the religious impact is nonexistant would be a lie, however I would say that the school's religious influence on the city of Greenville is diminishing and nearly irrelevant among the vast majority of circles in the community.

It has been my experience that Greenville in general is definitely loosening its grasp on traditionally Conservative values and opening up to new ideas. It is now a great place to live and believe anything you want.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:09 PM

617 posts, read 2,571,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
BJU has had an impact on the city and still does to a certain degree, though it could easily be argued that its present impact is more favorable to the fine art industry than anything else. Most people who know little or nothing about the school automatically think it is a place to avoid at all cost, yet if they would open their minds even a little they would realize the very high level of training art students receive on campus. To say the religious impact is nonexistant would be a lie, however I would say that the school's religious influence on the city of Greenville is diminishing and nearly irrelevant among the vast majority of circles in the community.

It has been my experience that Greenville in general is definitely loosening its grasp on traditionally Conservative values and opening up to new ideas. It is now a great place to live and believe anything you want.
I definitely agree. I wasn't trying to say that BJU has not had any impact on the city, because it has. I guess I was trying to say that if you want nothing to do with them then you won't be bothered.

Their art program is amazing, and they have an amazing gallery from what I've heard...though I have never been. I would like to, I just forget about it. As a current art major at Winthrop I can definitely appreciate that...though I would never think of attending the school.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:42 AM

14 posts, read 91,772 times
Actually Greenville seems to be loosing their Conservative back bone and quickly becoming a place not fit to raise a family in. But that is not a Greenville only thing that is something affecting America as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area