U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 08:00 PM

56 posts, read 126,970 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
I am interested in getting locals opinions on the private Christian schools in Greenville. We are planning a move to either the N. Main area or Haywood Rd. area...so if possible I would like to hear about schools not too far from this area. (ex. not Simpsonville, etc.)
I would love to hear about the private, Christian schools your children attend and if you are happy with the academics, Bible/Christian base, administration, extracurricular, etc.
My daughter will be starting Kindergarten after our move.

Are there any you would recommend? Not recommend? Why?

I hope this is not a repeat...so sorry if it it. I tried doing a search first and could not find anything in this area. THANK YOU in advance for your help and expertise.

Have a great night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 08:13 PM

5,408 posts, read 13,309,672 times
This site may help you locate options nearby.
Greenville County Private Schools - South Carolina/SC - Private School Review

Without knowing first-hand details about every school listed, I can only attempt to offer a fair assessment of each place.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:01 PM

83 posts, read 131,066 times
Here is my biased viewpoint:
I would highly recommend Christ Church Episcopal School. (Christ Church Episcopal School)

It is a very close-knit community where your child will learn Christian values, without being told what he/she "should" believe.
There are three chaplains (in addition to religion teachers) that serve as quasi-counselors and lead religious services.
The academics, extracurriculars, and athletics are unmatched in this area.
Teachers are highly qualified, personable, and incredibly dedicated to the community. The school also offers the full International Baccalaureate Diploma Program, if that is something you are considering.

The biggest drawback is most certainly the pricetag, but I was a student all 12 years and I am convinced it was worth every penny!

Old 11-16-2011, 09:07 AM

344 posts, read 690,044 times
I would recommend Shannon Forest Christian School or Southside Christian School. Shannon Forest is on Garlington Rd, which runs between Woodruff Rd, Roper Mtn Rd, and Pelham Rd. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about it for years and years. I have friends who went there when we were growing up, and I know people who have their children there now and love it- reasons being the biblical core and character values being taught, the quality of the teachers, etc. Southside is also a good school (located further down Woodruff Rd, but not quite to the Five Forks area of Simpsonville-pretty sure it has a Greenville address, but I could be wrong), but larger. I don't know as much about that one, but I do have one set of friends from our church who previously homeschooled, and just enrolled their middle schoolers there this year. They have been thrilled with the transition, and I know they like the close knit atmosphere and parental involvement.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:55 PM

Thank you so much everyone for your responses. VERY helpful!
I apologize for taking so long to respond. I thought I was going to be notified by email when someone replied...I didn't know anyone had responded to my post until now.
I will certainly check out the ones you have recommended.
I had checked out Christ Church in the past...but I believe it was a little over 13K a year...and we have multiple children...so I don't think it is in the budget. I sure wish it was though b/c that school seems AMAZING! Everything I am looking for...just can't afford it.
I am going to look into the other two now though. Thank you!

Anyone heard anything about Summit Christian Academy?

Any other insights about other schools or the ones already listed is greatly appreciated.
Thank you again for all of your help.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:58 PM

212 posts, read 360,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGetOuttaFL View Post

Anyone heard anything about Summit Christian Academy?
Nope. Are you sure you have the right name?

Shannon Forest and Southside are well-known, respectable schools here, though. SF is a Presbyterian church school, while Southside is more nondenominational (but formerly Baptist @ 20 years ago).

There are others, but I personally wouldn't recommend them.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:37 PM

Thank you so much for the info.
Yeah...I think I got the name wrong above. Oops...sorry!
I thought there was a Christian school on Summit Drive. I must be mistaken.
Thank you so much everyone for your input. I really appreciate it.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:54 PM

Ok...I found what I was trying to ask before...

Anyone heard anything about Mitchell Road Christian Academy?

Thank you!!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:49 PM

5,408 posts, read 13,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaGetOuttaFL View Post
Ok...I found what I was trying to ask before...

Anyone heard anything about Mitchell Road Christian Academy?

Thank you!!
I'd definitely check it out. Based on everything I've seen, it appears to be a good school.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:52 PM

Cool, thanks!
We will definitely be doing some tours of these schools next time we are up.
It is so hard being so far away and trying to plan for our children's education.
Very overwhelming when you are not from the area. You just don't want to make a mistake then have to move them. Better to make the right choice the first time.
Thank you so much to everyone for taking the time to answer and give advice. It is most appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area