Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 03:03 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
But that's just it, it's not "whatever you want it to be", it is a Christmas tree; always has been, and no amount of absurd political correctness can change that. There is no such holiday called "holiday." I mean how far do we take this, should we call Hannaukah, Holidaykah? Rosh Hashannah is now Rosh Haholiday. Let's call a menorah, Octet Holiday Candles. Ramadan can now be Ramaholiday. I stand corrected, you're right this is fun, I can call it whatever I want.
I think this is an excellent point, Sophiasmommy.

Why can Muslims have Ramadan, Jews have Hannaukah, etc, etc (and I write this having a Jewish life partner) but the Christian holiday has to be watered down?

If PC must apply to the Christian, white male, then PC should apply to all......no more specific religious holidays, no Miss Black America, right?

Not a religious person, here. Simply applying basic logic.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:33 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,137,125 times
Please point out chapter and verse in the Bible where it says the Christmas Tree is solely for the Christian faith. That is just absurd.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:18 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
You know, when I was a little kid in the mid 1950s, Jewish families we knew had Hannukah Bushes, and sent us Christmas cards. We would send them Hannukah wishes (wasn't easy to find Hannukah cards back then). In the 1950s, there were endless articles in popular magazines like Reader's Digest about how Christ had been taken out of Christmas and it had become commercialized. Fast forward 55 years ... people are still talking about Christmas being hijacked by the "pagans" and watered down by the "unbelievers" ... as though it were a recent phenomenon, and as though Christmas' date weren't in fact an attempt to steal the thunder of the pagan holiday of Saturnalia (actually, Christ was most likely born in March when shepherds would have been "watching their fields by night"). I can't believe people are still fighting this battle ... what exactly do you all propose we do about this: declare America a Christian theocracy, ban any appropriation of its symbols, and severely punish any unbeliever who defames Christianity? And if there's nothing to be done about it, why does everyone continue beating this dead horse every holiday season?

Old 11-24-2011, 05:33 PM

356 posts, read 677,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

Why can Muslims have Ramadan, Jews have Hannaukah, etc, etc (and I write this having a Jewish life partner) but the Christian holiday has to be watered down?

If PC must apply to the Christian, white male, then PC should apply to all......no more specific religious holidays, no Miss Black America, right?

This is an old argument that is simply not true. There is basically zero influence from Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, etc.. religion in mainstream America. We have the influence of our European ancestors when it comes to the major holidays, Easter and Christmas. Last time I checked there was not a Rosh Hoshana season.. Ramadan movies on TV... no other religions are part of our society the way the "Christian European" holidays our. We are becoming more and more non-European and retailers want to tap into this market. Hence more use of "the holidays... happy hollidays and such" Fact is these are European traditions that generate lots of revenue and in a multicultural society one must get creative to tap into all revenue streams. Christian holidays like Advent, Good Friday, and others are pure as ever because there is no money to be made.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:33 PM

477 posts, read 840,541 times
Who cares about something like this? What is your point (@Sophiasmommy) anyway? You wanna make people call it christmas tree again even though they don't want to? How unamerican of you!

Old 11-24-2011, 08:06 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

Trust me, I would bet you that Jews and Muslims are not demanding that you call it a "Holiday Tree". This is simply the ploy of retailers trying to include everyone (and their money) into the "holiday fun". Jews tend to call your tree a Christmas tree. The term "holiday tree" was invented by retailers, I'm certain. You don't have to water your holidays down for our account. We have enough of our own holidays to keep us perfectly happy. As I'm sure you know, there are many Jewish holidays.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:07 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scme5 View Post
This is an old argument that is simply not true. There is basically zero influence from Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, etc.. religion in mainstream America. We have the influence of our European ancestors when it comes to the major holidays, Easter and Christmas. Last time I checked there was not a Rosh Hoshana season.. Ramadan movies on TV... no other religions are part of our society the way the "Christian European" holidays our. We are becoming more and more non-European and retailers want to tap into this market. Hence more use of "the holidays... happy hollidays and such" Fact is these are European traditions that generate lots of revenue and in a multicultural society one must get creative to tap into all revenue streams. Christian holidays like Advent, Good Friday, and others are pure as ever because there is no money to be made.
Well said - you made great points.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:19 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Exactly. My post (#2 on this thread) seemed to be ignored by the OP. Some people like to rant and try to make "their" point- year after year. I honestly think some people like to stir up the pot and get people going, though I'm not sure what's gotten from doing this by people. Why ask the exact same question a year later, what's the purpose???

Actually, I do believe her DH posted the same thing two years ago:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/green...ay-lights.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11888007-post9.html

Either her DH posted the above (and more) or she did so under his name, the words are exact.

Many of the same people who keep this board going with viable information and replies to others have replied to her last year as well, it's like coming full circle. And the funny thing I also noticed, it's the same dates as last year!

As I mentioned before, you can see they are passionate and are bound and determined each year to be heard. Obviously they are on the wrong board with posting this here each year and should post it over on the PC Forum where people who go there KNOW they can be, or get others riled up.

I'm through with replying to this post and subject even though I could say more. It's obvious that the OP just wants to get this out and really not interested in what people are telling her. It seems to fester inside her year after year and we will probably see the exact same post come again next year at this time.

One thing before I go...

Is this a Fireplace Candleabra, or a Menorah, I can't tell

Are you kidding me? That's clearly a Buick Regal. After all, it was you that said that anything can be anything to anyone. You're right, this unfettered political correctness is fun.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scme5 View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but when you wrote European, you clearly meant "white" but you didn't want to run the risk of appearing racist, so you used the euphemism "European" instead. What's ironic is that the fastest growing and largest immigrant population in the USA are Hispanics, who are anywhere from 95-98% Catholic/Evangelical, and they celebrate Christmas at an even higher percentage than the 90% of Americans that already claim to. So in fact, not only was your main point incorrect, in fact the exact opposite is true; as the population becomes more Latino, Christmas will be even more dominant. Thankfully, Latinos scoff at the religious like fervor that you and several other posters seem to exhibit in your political correctness. You must hate that.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:40 AM

One other question for you pc zealots. Today I saw an commercial for Kohls that said, "This holiday......" So my question to you is, which "holiday" and what is the date of this holiday? Now keep in mind the word was used in the singular form, not plural, it specifically said "This Holiday" so again, I ask you which holiday, and what is the date for this holiday? Thanks

Oh, yeah, I hope everyone had a wonderful Holiday yesterday. I would have said Thanksgiving, but reading the vast majority of posts in this thread I now realize that saying Thanksgiving is potentially offensive and imposes my values of gratefulness. I mean Thanksgiving excludes the ungrateful and grumpy, and I would not want to offend the bitter and resentful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area