U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-25-2011, 12:06 PM
 
470 posts, read 698,356 times
Reputation: 547

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
One other question for you pc zealots. Today I saw an commercial for Kohls that said, "This holiday......" So my question to you is, which "holiday" and what is the date of this holiday? Now keep in mind the word was used in the singular form, not plural, it specifically said "This Holiday" so again, I ask you which holiday, and what is the date for this holiday? Thanks

Oh, yeah, I hope everyone had a wonderful Holiday yesterday. I would have said Thanksgiving, but reading the vast majority of posts in this thread I now realize that saying Thanksgiving is potentially offensive and imposes my values of gratefulness. I mean Thanksgiving excludes the ungrateful and grumpy, and I would not want to offend the bitter and resentful.
What do you actually want from us? You want to see a store with the word Christmas? Open one.

 
Old 11-25-2011, 12:29 PM
 
5,639 posts, read 5,594,462 times
Reputation: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
What do you actually want from us? You want to see a store with the word Christmas? Open one.
Who is us? I never asked anyone to do anything in my op, I merely proclaimed my dismay at how absurd political correctness has become in this country and the blatant double standard that exists. I'll ask you yet again, what day is "holiday" on? It's a simple question.
 
Old 11-25-2011, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Upstate, South Carolina
356 posts, read 583,846 times
Reputation: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but when you wrote European, you clearly meant "white" but you didn't want to run the risk of appearing racist, so you used the euphemism "European" instead. What's ironic is that the fastest growing and largest immigrant population in the USA are Hispanics, who are anywhere from 95-98% Catholic/Evangelical, and they celebrate Christmas at an even higher percentage than the 90% of Americans that already claim to. So in fact, not only was your main point incorrect, in fact the exact opposite is true; as the population becomes more Latino, Christmas will be even more dominant. Thankfully, Latinos scoff at the religious like fervor that you and several other posters seem to exhibit in your political correctness. You must hate that.
No.. I meant European. Look at the history of the Christmas holiday. Christmas is not Christian. It's a winter celebration that has existed in Europe under different names predating Christ. Nothing Christian about it.. in fact when early Christianity wanted to counter the pagan celebrations out there they decided to create a Christmas holiday.. pagan symbols like Christmas trees were adopted. What do you think Yuletide is. As a Christian enjoy the holiday for what it is but don't think your in any way serving Christ or representing the purpose his birth. Instead enjoy that your part of a religion that has no steadfast holidays to keep. You don't have to fast for Ramadan or confess on Yom Kippur.. you can just give gifts and have a good time.. like I do.
 
Old 11-25-2011, 01:47 PM
 
470 posts, read 698,356 times
Reputation: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Who is us? I never asked anyone to do anything in my op, I merely proclaimed my dismay at how absurd political correctness has become in this country and the blatant double standard that exists. I'll ask you yet again, what day is "holiday" on? It's a simple question.
I won't let you drag me into that nonsense because I personnely don't give a *peep* if it is holiday or christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I never asked anyone to do anything in my op
=>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Can anyone tell me what exactly a "holiday" tree is?
 
Old 11-25-2011, 03:38 PM
 
Location: on the edge of Sanity
14,269 posts, read 15,858,285 times
Reputation: 7898
I'm Jewish and I say "Merry Christmas" and sing Christmas carols. What's the big deal? If a tree symbolized oppression, bigotry or represented a specific political party, then I'd say "Ban them all!" However, Christmas lights and decorative trees have always been a tradition in our country (and around the world) so I don't know how anyone can find a Christmas tree offensive. Oh, by the way, I also listen to 88.1 WAY-FM radio when I'm driving. If I don't like something I hear, I change the station. There's so much crap on the radio that it's nice to listen to beautiful voices and inspirational music once in a while. Remember - no matter what religion you practice, even if you're an Atheist, we humans have something called Free Will.
 
Old 11-25-2011, 03:52 PM
 
5,639 posts, read 5,594,462 times
Reputation: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm Jewish and I say "Merry Christmas" and sing Christmas carols. What's the big deal? If a tree symbolized oppression, bigotry or represented a specific political party, then I'd say "Ban them all!" However, Christmas lights and decorative trees have always been a tradition in our country (and around the world) so I don't know how anyone can find a Christmas tree offensive. Oh, by the way, I also listen to 88.1 WAY-FM radio when I'm driving. If I don't like something I hear, I change the station. There's so much crap on the radio that it's nice to listen to beautiful voices and inspirational music once in a while. Remember - no matter what religion you practice, even if you're an Atheist, we humans have something called Free Will.
Excellent post Nancy and. rep point coming your way. Thank you for bringing some sanity into an absurd hyper politically correct mindset. When we as a society are afraid to call things by what they have always historically been called for fear if some imaginary offense, then we have become mindless drones unable to have an independent thought. Sadly, we're getting very close to that precipice.
 
Old 11-25-2011, 03:56 PM
 
5,639 posts, read 5,594,462 times
Reputation: 2853
I don't understand your post at all, it's all over the place. Can you just answer me the simple question that no one has yet been wiling to answer? What is the exact date for "holiday?" Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scme5 View Post
No.. I meant European. Look at the history of the Christmas holiday. Christmas is not Christian. It's a winter celebration that has existed in Europe under different names predating Christ. Nothing Christian about it.. in fact when early Christianity wanted to counter the pagan celebrations out there they decided to create a Christmas holiday.. pagan symbols like Christmas trees were adopted. What do you think Yuletide is. As a Christian enjoy the holiday for what it is but don't think your in any way serving Christ or representing the purpose his birth. Instead enjoy that your part of a religion that has no steadfast holidays to keep. You don't have to fast for Ramadan or confess on Yom Kippur.. you can just give gifts and have a good time.. like I do.
 
Old 11-25-2011, 03:59 PM
 
5,639 posts, read 5,594,462 times
Reputation: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
I won't let you drag me into that nonsense because I personnely don't give a *peep* if it is holiday or christmas.



=>


Didn't you voluntarily "drag yourself into this nonsense" when you willingly chose to post in this thread? Keep in mind, you might not care about this topic, but one day, the pc police will go after something that you do care about. Regarding your last point, you asked what exactly do I want you to do, as if I was calling you to action. I don't want you to do anything except tell me when "holiday" is, which you seem loathe to do.
 
Old 11-25-2011, 04:21 PM
 
470 posts, read 698,356 times
Reputation: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Didn't you voluntarily "drag yourself into this nonsense" when you willingly chose to post in this thread? Keep in mind, you might not care about this topic, but one day, the pc police will go after something that you do care about. Regarding your last point, you asked what exactly do I want you to do, as if I was calling you to action. I don't want you to do anything except tell me when "holiday" is, which you seem loathe to do.
Only somebody who wants to make a big deal out of nothing or wants to act really childish doesn't understand what holiday is referring to. My point is that every store has the right to use whatever word they want. The fact that you don't like it doesn't matter because you are not the one to decide what is right or wrong. I get your point here. Boohoo, nobody says christmas anymore. So what? You can call it whatever you want.
 
Old 11-25-2011, 04:31 PM
 
5,639 posts, read 5,594,462 times
Reputation: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
Only somebody who wants to make a big deal out of nothing or wants to act really childish doesn't understand what holiday is referring to. My point is that every store has the right to use whatever word they want. The fact that you don't like it doesn't matter because you are not the one to decide what is right or wrong. I get your point here. Boohoo, nobody says christmas anymore. So what? You can call it whatever you want.
Just outta curiosity, and not having anything to do with this topic: how old are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:17 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top