U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:01 PM

5,639 posts, read 5,599,460 times

Advertisements

Agreed with everything that you wrote, but that has nothing to do with this thread. The point of the thread is the elimination of the word Christmas itself and it being replaced with the sterile, generic word "holiday." It's political correctness run amok based on the assumption of offense. There is no such holiday called holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Christmas Trees, technically, have nothing to do with Christ. Or with the celebration of His birth. It is an ancient pagan European custom, that was co-opted by the early church. It was in celebration of Yule. There is a lot on the internet about that.

Some very extreme denominations will not use "Christmas" trees. I am a Christian and I am fine with this custom.

Since our country is becoming increasingly multi cultural, and we are not now and never were, a "Christian Nation", I have no problem with that term.

In my home we call it a Christmas tree. But then, we are Christians.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:03 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,127,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Yeah, you may call it a Cocker Spaniel, but myself and others want to call it a peach pie. Anyone can call it whatever they want.
I think you are right, if you want to call it a freakin peach pie, I could care less....it doesn't hurt me, and i'm certainly not going to get upset about it....

Old 11-26-2011, 03:37 AM

111 posts, read 197,259 times
OOOOOOh YYEEEEAAAHHHHH!!!! Who else is feelin the love round here? It's like verbal hot chocolate in there. I feel all warm and cozy now.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:48 AM

4,873 posts, read 6,308,174 times
Quote:
Yes, Christmas has both a secular and a religious side. It's been an official federal holiday since the 1850's I believe and is celebrated by over 90% of the American population, just as is Rosh Hashana in Israel. Imagine if "offended" Christians living in Israel demanded that Rosh Hashana be changed to Rosh Haholiday and the pc zealots capitulated? Thankfully, most of the world aren't brain washed pc zombies like we are here in the United States of the Offended.
But don't you think YOU come across as being part of the United Stated of the Offended, part of the problem you are actually complaining about?

One thing I don't quite understand about you, and your posts is when asked a specific question you don't reply with an answer and it makes me wonder if you really "read" the replies to your posts or just don't care and want everyone to agree with you and your point. That you don't have a reason for all the drama other than to get people riled up about this. It's just not with this thread/post, it's with others in the past. I remember other posts that you dance around specific questions asked of you about the posts that you never address. I know a couple that the mod pulled, which I'm thinking this one shall be too.

Why is it you don't answer questions to explain your reasonings behind this question that you have posted on this board (and probably others out in cyberspace) for 3 years in a row now, verbatim, each year. Exactly what are you expecting to accomplish, and what's your reason for posting it here year after year?

Should we be prepared to have to deal with this exact same question next Holiday Season? I say Holiday Season because it seems this stuff starts long before Christmas (you start in October with Halloween it seems) and there are many holidays in between the start of this type of thread and the the end of the holiday you are most passionate about getting your point across for.

Do you remember your thread last year you started about Trader Joes with them not bowing to your wishes. I'm curious, did you continue to shop there after this incident? What did your complaining accomplish? Have you been back to TJ's this year to see if they have changed their greetings during this Holiday Season?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems you like to get in to it with people on this subject. Between the TJ's incident you mentioned, and the "heated debate" (your own description) you had in 2009 with the Roper Mtn Science Center, you are going to continue trying, as you said, to get everyone to see it your way.

I think you should post where others will totally agree with you, and only shop at stores that will reply with a Merry Christmas to you. Here's a helpful link:

Naughty or Nice Christmas List 2011

I think you'd be much happier on a thread like this and it will be much easier to get your point across where others can easily understand how you feel and see things.

And by the way, in that 2009 thread where you posted:

For those who aren't familiar with a menorah it is a Jewish religious symbol involving candles, somewhat equatable to Catholic votive candles; they are not festive lights or decorations

Funny, because Hannukah is known as "THE FESTIVAL OF LIGHTS"
It's been around for over 2,000 years, if you haven't heard.

I'm done - seems this thread will no doubt come around again next year, same time, same place, same exact words from the OP.

Until then...I'm off to complain to the people that make Snuggies for trying to mass market Snuggies by appealing to Jews and making a parody using the Dreidle song!

Snuggie® Hanukkah - YouTube#!

Happy Holidays to you All - whatever you choose to celebrate, in whatever way you choose to celebrate!

Old 11-26-2011, 07:33 AM

470 posts, read 698,831 times
Quote:
You're going to bed, at 8 pm? Ok, whatever.
Went to bed with my wife and baby to watch a movie. I hope you are not offended by that.

Quote:
All I asked is what holiday and what day does that holiday occur on.
It is too obvious what is meant by holiday(s). But keep fighting the fight. There is a good reason why nobody here is agreeing with you.

Quote:
Instead of answering, you've done nothing but insult me and be extremely intolerant of my beliefs and opinions.
What beliefs? Haven't read anything about your beliefs here. You are extremely intolerant of people's opinion that they'd rather say holiday.

Quote:
But, hey, you're free to be a hater in America, that's what makes this country great. Happy Holidays to you too.
Funny, I think you are hating on store owners who can call it whatever they want in this country.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:36 AM

119 posts, read 214,243 times
I call it a Christmas tree. My husband calls it that d@%$ tree.

: ) It's all good.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:07 PM

18,601 posts, read 23,156,163 times
I think that people who are extreme on both sides of this issue are both concrete, and laden with agenda.

What do "the Holidays" mean? If someone held a gun to your head and asked that question, my guess is that you'd be able to spit it out.
In the wild event that this is not the case, here are the Spark notes " Generally pertaining to the late Autumn and early Winter celebrations, that are customarily observed by North Americans. Some of the holidays in the cluster include Thanksgiving, Chanukah, Christmas, Kwanza, and New Years Eve and Day"

Some people impart Religious connotations to some or all of there Holidays, and a few impart none but celebrate some or all as secular holidays.

These holidays often involve some, but not all, of the following characteristics, eating of traditional foods, preparation and consumption of baked goods, the lighting of candles ( Kwanza, Advent -the 4 weeks preceding Christmas, Chanukah, and Yule) the exchange of gifts, decorating the home, crafts associated with the specific holiday and with winter (i.e. Snowmen, Winter scenes,pine combs etc) parties involving friends and relatives that may not be seen through out the year, and the exchange of greeting cards.

When I hear the words "Holiday Tree" it does not upset me in the least. No, it is not the original name for this item, the original name would be depending upon the part of Europe - Yuletide Tree, Saturnalia tree, Yulgi (Russia Eastern Europe)
In the 18 -20C in the United States, it was most frequently was refereed to as a "Christmas tree" and it still is called that by people of the Christian faiths, although the tree has nothing to do with the birth of Christ.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:20 PM

4,603 posts, read 3,675,533 times
Quote:
Yes, Christmas has both a secular and a religious side. It's been an official federal holiday since the 1850's I believe and is celebrated by over 90% of the American population, just as is Rosh Hashana in Israel. Imagine if "offended" Christians living in Israel demanded that Rosh Hashana be changed to Rosh Haholiday and the pc zealots capitulated? Thankfully, most of the world aren't brain washed pc zombies like we are here in the United States of the Offended.
Again, if you're posting the same thing every year, what are you trying to accomplish? That is, what do you want the rest of us to do since some of us flat disagree with you, and others really don't care? If you're trying to "raise our consciousness", we get what you're saying (and for someone like myself, I've been hearing the same argument for most of my 64 years on this planet from various people). But that doesn't mean we have to agree with you, or have to care about this issue the way you apparently do.

Every generation seems to think that things have gone to hell in a handbasket, and that they're living in the worst possible world with a younger generation that is totally out of control. In reality, the pious and patriotic America of the past that many people remember is based more on old Normal Rockwell prints than on reality.

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was a boy, we were taught to be discrete and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise and impatient of restraint."

--- Hesiod, Eighth Century BCE

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of
today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."

-- Peter the Hermit, Thirteenth Century CE

The above quotes span nearly 2000 years, and the "new" one is seven centuries old. Apparently our modern world does not have a lock on curmudgeonliness.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:26 PM

18,601 posts, read 23,156,163 times
Quote:
Thank you for that link, I appreciate it. I will speak with them and report back our discussion. Regarding Hanukkah vis a vis Christmas, Hanukkah is a secondary, if not tertiary holiday in the Jewish calendar, which happens to on occasion overlap Christmas. If you were trying to make an equivalent comparison, it would be like a Christian living in Israel complaining that Rosh hashana was offensive and not inclusive and demanded that it be referred to as Rosh Haholiday, despite over 90% of the population celebration Rosh hashana.

Sopiasmammy, you are correct that Chanukah is not the most sacred or important of holidays in Hebrew tradition.

At the same time, Christmas, is not the most sacred or important holidays in the Christian Church. That holiday would be the one that most Christians call Easter. Currently, some right wing Christian groups have been referring to Easter as "Resurrection Sunday", in an attempt to sever that day from the pagan god Astarte, from the holiday.

Weather you or anyone else likes it, most holidays have a dual identity-religious and secular. Some are more child friendly, and have been elevated to a higher social and popular status. Two examples of such holidays would be Christmas and Chanukah.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:27 PM

10,137 posts, read 6,468,998 times
What exactly is a "Holiday" tree?

it's just the damn atheists trying to take everything religious out of Christmas. They are trying to change the world to suit themselves. Never mind we have been celebrating this for centuries. Why do we continue to let the minority tell the majority what to do??

Last edited by Scotty011; 11-26-2011 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area