Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 09:54 AM

24 posts, read 33,056 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am licensed in KY as a massage therapist and am finishing my first year working as a massage therapist. I worked in 2009-2010 at my school's clinic and now have been working as an independant at a local hair salon. I have skill in Swedish, Hot Stone, deep tissue and some basic reflexology.

My family and I have several dogs that we want to keep with us. And we are concerned about the cost of housing (electricity, groceries, etc), my finding employment, finding a pet friendly community, and having walking (and jogging) and places for exercise close by.

Some questions I have:

1) where do you recommend working as a massage therapist in SC?

2) where would you recommend LIVING? (I am looking for an area that will be dog friendly, has nice areas for walking, has housing between 150,000 and 200,000.)

3) what school would you recommend for continueing education (this is important as I am so new to this profession)?

4) not sure how to phrase this last question...I am hoping to build toward offering massage from my home. So building a solid steady client base, being handy for people to get to, and having a home that is easy for people to get in and out of, as well as being in a home and neighborhood that would allow for this.

REALLY appreciate any and all suggestions for this!

Regards,

kwien
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 10:50 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,687 times
Are you looking to specifically relocate to Greenville, the Upstate (of SC), or just South Carolina in general?

I ask this because this thread may be better suited in the general SC forum (as opposed to this sub-forum) - the moderator can help you move it.

This is an opinion board and you will receive multiple opinions (re your questions above).

Greenville is the epicenter of commerce in the Upstate and, thus, will probably have the most opportunity. Greenville is very dog friendly and offers numerous walking trails, including the locally famous Swamp Rabbit Trail (http://greenvillerec.com/parks/swamp-rabbit/ - broken link).

The cost of living in the Upstate is very low and there are numerous places to exercise - the Y of Greenville County offers some fantastic venues.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:26 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
There is a massage school just opened next door to me, if you want details I can get them for you. Possibly they could hire you to train other therapists?

Old 11-08-2011, 10:50 AM

Thank you both for your replies!

USNRET04, yes please. I would like to check in with them. That would be helpful.

--kwien

Old 11-08-2011, 07:11 PM

73 posts, read 178,152 times
Massage Envy has several locations in the Upstate. They might be worth looking into. As far as relocating and dog activities there are plenty of threads on here if you do a search. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:00 PM

Thank you slumberval!

As to moving to Greenville specifically, that is the area that I am specifically considering. However I am open to suggestions. My family and I are planning a visit early next year.

Thank you again!

--kwien

Old 11-14-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwien View Post
Thank you both for your replies!

USNRET04, yes please. I would like to check in with them. That would be helpful.

--kwien
I've been off the internet the past several days and didn't see your reply...I'll walk over tomorrow and ask them.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 AM

They are accepting resumes.

Carolina School of Massage
210 Adley Way
Greenville, SC 29607
864-234-7191

Good luck.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:44 PM

USNRET04,

Thank you very much for the info. I will check them out.

Regards,

kwien
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area