U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-30-2007, 08:11 AM

2,153 posts, read 3,584,447 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there are any school districts in the area with an age cut off date of Aug. 1st (or anything before Aug. 30th)? Where I currently live (Illinois) our school district has a cut off date of Sept 1st. My son's birthday is Aug. 30th and I am not thrilled with him being pretty much as young as possible to start a grade. Im also not thrilled with having to hold back, SO finding a school district with an earlier cut off date seems like the easiest solution. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 01:57 PM

73 posts, read 248,437 times
All of the state is Sept 1st.... I know b/c my daughter is Sep. 3rd so we just miss the cutoff. I have found lots of people that just wait another year to send their August children...its not really holding them back its just waiting until you feel they are ready.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:06 PM

250 posts, read 733,847 times
My daughter's birthday is August 28th and we sent her to kindergarten. I too felt hesitant knowing she was going to be one of the youngest. Another little girl in her class has the same birthday so you are definitely not alone.

My daughter also has speech problems (with articulation) and was in a special program for 2 years so it was especially difficult for me sending her to school knowing others were older and not having issues with speech.

It has been 2 weeks and she loves school and is doing well from the work sent home so that helps ease my mind a little.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:11 PM

83 posts, read 341,681 times
My son had a June birthday and was small for his age. So we put him in "6 year old" kindergarten at Taylors First Baptist Church rather than having him go to first grade. It was probably the smartest thing we ever did. The funny thing was that we had to battle his "5 year old" kindergarten teacher - she said he was performing better than anyone else in the class, and it would be silly to hold him back. But I remembered always being the smallest one in the class, so we went ahead and waited a year to send him to first grade. He has thrived throughout school and is now about to start his Junior year at college.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:51 PM

2,153 posts, read 3,584,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcie912 View Post
All of the state is Sept 1st.... I know b/c my daughter is Sep. 3rd so we just miss the cutoff. I have found lots of people that just wait another year to send their August children...its not really holding them back its just waiting until you feel they are ready.
Ok, say we decide to hold him out for a year. He currently is in ECE as he has an Autism Spectrum Disorder. What happens during that year? Does he have to go to a private Pre-School or would he be able to continue in a school ECE program? We currently get speech therapy and possible Occupation Therapy (an eval. is coming up), is there any obligation from the school to continue this therapy (for the 1 yr before Kindergarten)?

While we are on it, are there any recommendations for schools in Spartanburg? How do they compare to Greenville?

Last edited by bls5555; 08-30-2007 at 07:08 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,277 times
i was born ON the cut off and i am a 9th grader at one of the most prestigious schools in my city. i never really found it a problem. i got along and could relate with the grade a year younger than me and the one i was in. i think it would have been worse to be the oldest. when you're the youngest, you feel looked out for and i can honestly say i like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area