Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2016, 08:46 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Wasn't Copeland the plaza that had the major flood in the late 70's? I slightly remember a carpet golf and KFC on the corner close by that my grandparents took me to as a child.
That was.. Basically the twin of Copeland Plaza, Hillcrest Plaza in Laurens. Think they were built about the same time as well.

The same basic design/layout, except that Hillcrest didn't have a large 'anchor' type location on the opposite end, such as Copeland did with Belk's.

Winn-Dixie was there at the time of the flood, and after that flood, built and moved across the street where they remained until their closing in.. I'm going to say circa 2005, that 'new' location has, at least partly, been taken over by Laurens Hospice. Food Lion took over the 'old' space and remained until just a few years ago. The space has, within the past two years, become a Roses. I'm sure CK can quote the store number for Food Lion and Winn-Dixie.. One of these days I gotta know how you can remember that stuff.. I worked for a Hardee's subcontractor for a number of years, and I can only remember a few of the store numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 04:30 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That was.. Basically the twin of Copeland Plaza, Hillcrest Plaza in Laurens. Think they were built about the same time as well.
Is this the Hillcrest Plaza or Laurens Plaza (which I also remember some level of flooding in the early 2000's, but subsequent flood mitigation efforts seem to be successful.)?

Old 12-12-2016, 04:35 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,866,470 times
Bikeoid:

Yes, Laurens Plaza is what flooded.

Vista:

The KFC is still there where you remember it, but I don't recall a carpet golf place, except out 221, which closed in the 60s, although remnants remain, and a failed attempt was made to reopen it.

The 2 main stores in HP were Winn Dixie and Edwards. Edwards did not reopen after the flood, that I recall, and if they did it was for a very short time. Edwards was, as my Mom used to say, a high end TG&Y.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Is this the Hillcrest Plaza or Laurens Plaza (which I also remember some level of flooding in the early 2000's, but subsequent flood mitigation efforts seem to be successful.)?
Doh.. Sorry.. You and UpstateJohn are right.. LAURENS Plaza, 'on' HILLCREST Drive.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Doh.. Sorry.. You and UpstateJohn are right.. LAURENS Plaza, 'on' HILLCREST Drive.
I am pretty sure at one time it was called Hillcrest Plaza or Hillcrest Square or something with Hillcrest in it. Maybe it was Laurens Plaza - Hillcrest, or something.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:51 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,128 times
Quote:
Just checked Streetview - just to confuse things, there's Hillcrest Center retail across the street, on Hillcrest Drive just down from Hillcrest Square.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Just checked Streetview - just to confuse things, there's Hillcrest Center retail across the street, on Hillcrest Drive just down from Hillcrest Square.
Let's just make it simple..

https://goo.gl/maps/TtwnZwoJbeo

That. What is now Rose's Express in there was the 'old' Winn-Dixie that flooded (If other stores there did as well, I don't recall the details on them).. After that flood, they built the 'new' Winn-Dixie.. See below.

"Hillcrest Square" is this.. https://goo.gl/maps/gW5JiG3weyy

In the background there.. The county offices are there. Perhaps UpstateJohn can remind what used to be there, as I have no idea whatsoever. That's been the county magistrate/court/tax offices for as long as I can remember (Similar to Bell Plaza/University Ridge in Greenville)

THIS.. https://goo.gl/maps/ae4JxDZN1GJ2 is the former 'new' Winn-Dixie #1229 according to CK. Well, it's certainly the 'new' Winn-Dixie, just giving him credit for the store number.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:11 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
I'm soo confused right now. LOL. What exactly closed again?

Old 12-12-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Let's just make it simple..

https://goo.gl/maps/TtwnZwoJbeo

That. What is now Rose's Express in there was the 'old' Winn-Dixie that flooded (If other stores there did as well, I don't recall the details on them).. After that flood, they built the 'new' Winn-Dixie.. See below.

"Hillcrest Square" is this.. https://goo.gl/maps/gW5JiG3weyy

In the background there.. The county offices are there. Perhaps UpstateJohn can remind what used to be there, as I have no idea whatsoever. That's been the county magistrate/court/tax offices for as long as I can remember (Similar to Bell Plaza/University Ridge in Greenville)

THIS.. https://goo.gl/maps/ae4JxDZN1GJ2 is the former 'new' Winn-Dixie #1229 according to CK. Well, it's certainly the 'new' Winn-Dixie, just giving him credit for the store number.
Roses, Eckerd, Food Lion, Left to right.

Concerning Winn Dixie, it was actually open after the flood, but I don't know for how long, wasn't long though, maybe just long enough to get the new one built. Eckerd moved there as well. Roses closed in 89 or 90, Food Lion I think was there for a couple of more years.

Last edited by UpstateJohn; 12-12-2016 at 04:21 PM..

Old 12-18-2016, 09:22 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Jon's Pizza is closing per their Facebook page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area