U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 10:26 AM

2,188 posts, read 2,728,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Can anyone recall when Kmart Plaza was constructed?

I found this article: End of a Kmart, end of an era | The State

It sounds like it was the first store in the state and Columbia was second in the early 60's according to this article. It apparently was developed by the father of local developer Bob Hughes.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 11:08 AM

5,057 posts, read 3,477,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with that location. It has access to the light on Green Heron/Magnolia Park for folks wanting to exit left. Can't get any better on Woodruff than that. It just needs the right restaurant.
It's not a good location for Panda Express in my opinion. There's already Panda's in Charleston, N Charleston, and Columbia and they're in less busy, less focused areas. That's kind of how they operate.

There's just too much going on on Woodruff for it to stick out. You already have HuHot, Genghis Grill, Leius, PF Changs, Oriental House and a few other places already providing Asian. Panda isn't well known or craved here, so it's not going to immediately pull people away from those other restaurants.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:14 AM

19,381 posts, read 17,088,641 times
Default Kmart #4016, Kmart Plaza, 1 Kmart Plaza, Greenville, South Carolina 29605-4442

Quote:
I found this article: End of a Kmart, end of an era | The State

It sounds like it was the first store in the state and Columbia was second in the early 60's according to this article. It apparently was developed by the father of local developer Bob Hughes.
Kmart #4012 opened in or before 1962.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:44 PM

3,249 posts, read 3,963,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Wow! Freddy's was not open that long there....how many other restaurants occupied that property in the past?
That location was originally a Jack in the Box. I used to eat there frequently. I think they closed prematurely, as new apartments and other retail opened nearby in the year after they closed. And I think the problem also was that it was too close to their Congaree Rd. location and they competed against each other, hurting sales. I think one of those stores should have remained open, probably the Woodruff Rd. store.

But hopefully Panda Express will do well, as it is a good quick serve Chinese restaurant. They already have locations in Charlotte, Columbia, and Atlanta.

Old 05-22-2017, 05:47 PM

3,249 posts, read 3,963,091 times
USA Today reported over the weekend that Sears would be closing more locations, including Kmart. But no list of locations was provided. Perhaps locally at Kmart they are having an inventory clearance sale before they turn it over to liquidators.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:45 AM

29 posts, read 58,920 times
Chevy's and Taste Buds Cafe in Powdersville both are closed.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:00 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,832,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffpocoroba View Post
Chevy's and Taste Buds Cafe in Powdersville both are closed.
Where were these located? I live in Powdersville and never heard of either of these businesses.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:18 AM

19,381 posts, read 17,088,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
USA Today reported over the weekend that Sears would be closing more locations, including Kmart. But no list of locations was provided. Perhaps locally at Kmart they are having an inventory clearance sale before they turn it over to liquidators.
The recent list I have seen does not have any Greenville County Sears and Kmart locations listed. That could change as Sears Holdings continues to close stores.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:00 AM

378 posts, read 681,436 times
Quote:
Not sure what's going on but there was ad in newspaper today that Kmart stores in Mauldin and on Church St are having an inventory blowout sale. Most everything 5-30% off. Also said stores were not honoring the sales circulars for next few weeks.

NO mention of it being a liquidation sale so not sure what is going on. Anyone heard anything on the status of the Greenville area's last two KMart stores?
I went to KMart on Church St last night. The employees would not confirm that they were closing, only stating that they "hoped not", but it was clearly a liquidation sale. Almost everything was discounted, even greeting cards. When I searched online for Kmart inventory blowout sale all results were correlated to closing stores. I also found this article that states 18 more unnamed Kmart stores and 12 unnamed Sears stores will be closing in July. This really makes me sad. I shop at the Church St store often.

Sears quietly closing 30 more stores

Old 05-27-2017, 12:07 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,728,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlgal View Post
I went to KMart on Church St last night. The employees would not confirm that they were closing, only stating that they "hoped not", but it was clearly a liquidation sale. Almost everything was discounted, even greeting cards. When I searched online for Kmart inventory blowout sale all results were correlated to closing stores. I also found this article that states 18 more unnamed Kmart stores and 12 unnamed Sears stores will be closing in July. This really makes me sad. I shop at the Church St store often.

Sears quietly closing 30 more stores
I searched and found the same stuff. It appears to be a pre liquidation sale for several weeks before it is turned over to the liquidators. An employee told me they were not closing as far as they new so who knows.

Last edited by vistatiger; 05-27-2017 at 12:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area