U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 07:38 AM

19,380 posts, read 17,088,641 times

Advertisements

Sears Holdings' future could be determined by (1) which banner is the first to go, and (2) how long the remaining banner lasts. I do not see Kmart catching up to Walmart and Target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 09:41 AM

5,057 posts, read 3,475,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Yep Seneca and Summerville on the latest list today for SC as well as the lone remaining Sears in Columbia. Mauldin and Church St. spared ...... at least for now it looks like.

Sears is closing 72 stores ? here's the full list - Business Insider
Andersons Sears is still around.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:51 AM

876 posts, read 1,216,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
I stopped at the Kmart in Mauldin today after visiting a friend who lives down the street and it definitely looks, and feels, like it's going out of business. Racks, and shelves are empty, inventory blowout signs are all over. And yet, as mentioned by bikeoid, signs of them hiring are on the door. They have closed the entrance to the garden department, so you have to go through the main entrance. EVERYTHING is on sale in the store. I can't remark about how the overall store appears, but from the front door to the garden department, it looks pretty sad.

I did find one hosta that was okay - the others look pretty drab and are getting sun burn. I guess they don't realize that hosta's require part/full shade. They have them right out baking in the hot sun. I was lucky to find one being shaded by the others around it.

I really never went to Kmart much - over the years it's declined, even when they did a so-called overhaul, it still felt old, and out dated. I don't live anywhere near Mauldin, or the GVL store, so if they close, for me at least, it won't be a store I miss. Just the loss of jobs for those who work there is what matters.

But hey, maybe they aren't closing - at least, not right now.
I noticed the same thing with the Church Street Kmart this last Saturday. We had an itch to watch the new X-men movie Logan and went on the hunt around 10 for it. I hate the Walmart in Taylors so I suggest Kmart because I figured they would have it and I hadn't been to one in at least 15 years. The automatic doors don't work, they were bungee corded up to stay open. The air wasn't working well. Every single shelf has a percentage off sign. It feels like a Fred's in there or something. Got to the movies and they had one small end cap for Blurays and the movies were all 3 weeks or older so Logan wasn't there. I think they stopped getting deliveries for new music and movies it seemed like. We didn't buy anything and ended up at the Taylors Walmart anyway.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:35 AM

31 posts, read 18,081 times
Thousand Villages which was in downtown, Greenville is closing which makes me sad

Old 06-13-2017, 07:01 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,832,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Probably only until the lease runs out. That mall seems to be hurting, so I would be concerned that the space may remain empty after Sears does close.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:18 AM

2,188 posts, read 2,727,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Probably only until the lease runs out. That mall seems to be hurting, so I would be concerned that the space may remain empty after Sears does close.
I agree. Looks like they are all going. It's only a matter of time. That Anderson store is really small. They may be a able to break it up for some Jr. Anchors that Anderson doesn't have.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:43 PM

9,322 posts, read 11,246,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I'm surprised the Anderson Mall is still open. It is always slow in there and one store told me shoplifters did a "hit and run" with clothing (about 6 shoplifters in a group) and the mall gave them free rent (for a time) for not abandoning their lease.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:24 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,727,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I'm surprised the Anderson Mall is still open. It is always slow in there and one store told me shoplifters did a "hit and run" with clothing (about 6 shoplifters in a group) and the mall gave them free rent (for a time) for not abandoning their lease.
The Anderson Mall has been around a long time. It does still have three other strong anchors (Belk,Dillards and JCP) besides Sears. It needs to be updated though. It always has attracted shoppers from N Georgia as well who don't want to get in the Atlanta traffic and mess around those malls.

I always thought Simon should remove the roof and make that old section in the front between Dillard's and JCP into an outdoor section with restaurants, smaller anchors etc.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:14 AM

109 posts, read 66,841 times
Malls are going the way of the dinosaur in general

Old 06-18-2017, 11:39 AM

200 posts, read 214,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Malls are going the way of the dinosaur in general

If by"malls" you mean all brick & mortar retail stores, then I agree. And I'm not sure it's a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area