Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 03:32 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
It looks like the little Street Corner News and Convenience store in the Haywood Mall Food Court has closed as well. That was a nice little place to buy drinks, gum, candy and other convenience items like aspirin or Tylenol whether visiting or working at the mall.
About 4 months ago, I talked to the owner and he said they had raised his rent to $10,000 a month! I had no idea rents were that high in the Haywood Mall. He told me back then he was leaving and would not be paying $10,000 a month! Come January, I guess his lease was up because he sadly closed the store. I used to go in there and get an ICEE on my way out. It's a shame. You would think with malls becoming more extinct, that the last thing Simon Malls would do, is raise the rent so high!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 05:10 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
About 4 months ago, I talked to the owner and he said they had raised his rent to $10,000 a month! I had no idea rents were that high in the Haywood Mall. He told me back then he was leaving and would not be paying $10,000 a month! Come January, I guess his lease was up because he sadly closed the store. I used to go in there and get an ICEE on my way out. It's a shame. You would think with malls becoming more extinct, that the last thing Simon Malls would do, is raise the rent so high!
I remember when I lived back in Miami, Dadeland Mall at one time was said to be the most expensive rent for a mall per square inch. I found this link from 2015 https://www.cnbc.com/2015/06/08/-per-square-foot.html that lists the 10 most expensive malls per square foot.

Four of the top 10 are in Florida, the cheapest per square foot was $1360. No wonder it's difficult for independent store owners to make these ridiculous rents and why all we see in malls are basically the same stores from one mall to another. You use to go to different malls because the stores were different, but now, they are almost all the same, the only difference is their locations.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:19 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Went by Railhouse in Fountain Inn tonight and it was closed..

Found on their Facebook that they closed December 30th.

Quote:
It greatly saddens us to announce that Saturday, December 30, 2017 will be The Railhouse's last day of service.
While our business has steadily grown over the last year and a half, we have experienced great expense associated with the building and its maintenance, that we have simply not been able to overcome. Consequently, we were forced to make the heartbreaking decision to cease operations at the end of this year.
We have enjoyed our time here and truly appreciate all those we have served and those of you with whom we have formed new friendships.
We hope that everyone stops by this week to support us and wish us farewell.
Thank you for your patronage. May the new year bring happiness and opportunity for us all.
Jessica & John McLeod and Staff

I've been going by there the past few months about every other Friday or so.. Very sad to see it gone again.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:54 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Sorry to hear this - I wonder what was going on with the building; I would have hoped that the last building renovation would have handled any building structural/maintenance issues for some time to come.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:33 AM

115 posts, read 103,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I talked to the manager at Sarku Japan on why the prices of the food have gotten so expensive over the few years. I use to remember it was $3.99 for a regular plate of Teriyaki Chicken just 6 years ago, and now it is at $6.99 a plater and considering going up. He said that ever since Simon took over and landed the remodels. Rent increase have been going up every year. Sarku is paying close to $20k a month in rent. With this steady rent increase, I'm not sure how some other tenant could stay operating while trying to also compete with the ever growing online shopping. Haywood mall is lucky that there isn't much of a mall around our area to compete with them.

Old 01-13-2018, 01:13 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Found on their Facebook that they closed December 30th.

I've been going by there the past few months about every other Friday or so.. Very sad to see it gone again.
Someone close to the owners told me it was because of rent.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverML View Post
I talked to the manager at Sarku Japan on why the prices of the food have gotten so expensive over the few years. I use to remember it was $3.99 for a regular plate of Teriyaki Chicken just 6 years ago, and now it is at $6.99 a plater and considering going up. He said that ever since Simon took over and landed the remodels. Rent increase have been going up every year. Sarku is paying close to $20k a month in rent. With this steady rent increase, I'm not sure how some other tenant could stay operating while trying to also compete with the ever growing online shopping. Haywood mall is lucky that there isn't much of a mall around our area to compete with them.
That's crazy expensive, $20,000 a month! How much can Sarku pull in a month, pay their utilities, rent and employees, merchandise/stock they need to order and turn a profit?

Old 01-14-2018, 06:48 AM

29 posts, read 73,903 times
Peden's Home Cooking in Powdersville has closed. Hate to see that. I thought it was good and the owners were super nice people. That shopping center seems to be a graveyard for restaurants.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:51 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
I noticed yesterday that Ann Taylor is closing their location at Haywood Mall.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I noticed yesterday that Ann Taylor is closing their location at Haywood Mall.
This could be why:

Ascena Retail Group, which owns Ann Taylor, Dress Barn, Loft, Lane Bryant and other brands, plans to shutter between 250 and 650 stores over the next two years, while children's clothing store Gymboree will shut the doors on 375 to 450.

https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...8f2ddae63.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area