Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 07:14 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Yep. Over 5 billion in debt load killed them not the internet.
They were bought out by equity firms that saddled the company with debt, and then extracted all of the valuable bits to put in their own pockets. The company is now an empty shell. The equity firms declare bankruptcy and walk away with pockets full of cash. It should be illegal but it's all to common in the current environment. Sears and Kmart are very slowly following the same designed to failure model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 10:49 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
I keep seeing that it was online retailers and wal mart putting them out of business. I say it was the people in charge. I worked there in the late 90s and it was a decent job. They also had decent staff and stock. Then they had that buyout in '05. I worked a few months there again in 2009 and it was awful. They had one cashier. One floor person and one person in the back. The shelves were always empty, the store was a mess, and all the higher ups cared about was selling credit cards and warranties. They killed themselves.
Exactly. Everyone just wants to blame Amazon or Walmart and call it day. Toys R Us shot themselves in the foot just like Blockbuster and AOL did. I'm a 90's kid and Toys R Us was the place to beg your parents to take you to to get toys.

Now they've fallen behind Walmart, Target, Best Buy, Gamestop, Amazon, pretty much everybody. They lost their niche and kids today don't see the magic of Toys R Us, they probably don't even recognize Geoffrey. Toys R Us like most failed companies, had poor leadership and vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
Sears and Kmart are very slowly following the same designed to failure model.
Every December people say next year will be the end of Kmart and Sears. Even with all the closures, they're not going anywhere anytime soon. They're stupid and smart at the same time.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:19 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,289,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Every December people say next year will be the end of Kmart and Sears. Even with all the closures, they're not going anywhere anytime soon. They're stupid and smart at the same time.
The longer they drag out the demise, the more money the private equity firms can extract. A slow, painful death makes more money for them.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:25 PM

Kmart and Sears are no longer retailers, they're a real estate company. As long as they have assets and land, they will be alive. They don't care about their stores anymore, but it doesn't matter at this point.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:39 PM

18 posts, read 15,520 times
Not sure when this happened, but Rivals sports bar in Powdersville appears to have closed. The signs were down and some trucks were either moving things in or out.

Old 03-15-2018, 03:48 PM

12 posts, read 24,324 times
BI-LO parent company announces bankruptcy filing; nearly 100 sto - FOX Carolina 21

a bunch of BI-LO's in the upstate are closing...

Old 03-15-2018, 04:58 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,048,899 times
Quote:
Kmart and Sears are no longer retailers, they're a real estate company. As long as they have assets and land, they will be alive. They don't care about their stores anymore, but it doesn't matter at this point.
The ring fence arrangement with the pension plan allowed them to fully fund retirees pensions. Since 2005 merger they’ve funded 4.5 billion in pension liabilities and will pay an additional 40 mil over next 2 years. These guys are working their plan. Eddie isn’t losing money. He understands bk system.

Last edited by 5ForksSC; 03-15-2018 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Spell

Old 03-15-2018, 05:42 PM

825 posts, read 1,124,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchad View Post
Upstate area stores that are closing:
BI-LO at 1706 E. Greenville Street in Anderson
BI-LO at 501 Old Greenville Highway in Clemson
BI-LO at 1818 Woodruff Road in Greenville
Harveys at 714 Bypass 25 NE in Greenwood
Harveys at 1937 Wilson Road in Newberry
BI-LO at 115 Rochester Highway in Seneca
BI-LO at 140 Ferwood Drive in Spartanburg

Old 03-15-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
Upstate area stores that are closing:
BI-LO at 1706 E. Greenville Street in Anderson
BI-LO at 501 Old Greenville Highway in Clemson
BI-LO at 1818 Woodruff Road in Greenville
Harveys at 714 Bypass 25 NE in Greenwood
Harveys at 1937 Wilson Road in Newberry
BI-LO at 115 Rochester Highway in Seneca
BI-LO at 140 Ferwood Drive in Spartanburg
I don't feel anything over Bilo's closures at this point. It's just like, "okay" to me. The grocery market is already over saturated enough, but maybe Harris Teeter will try making another push.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:07 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
I don't feel anything over Bilo's closures at this point. It's just like, "okay" to me. The grocery market is already over saturated enough, but maybe Harris Teeter will try making another push.
They already are with two stores under construction in Greenville. Excited for them to open. I doubt HT wants many of BI-LO's stores since they usually expand with new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area