Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 07:50 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
With you! Been saying for a long time that Mauldin has way too many of the same types of stores. Too many 99 cent stores, pharmacy's, supermarkets and gas stations. Yeah a Chick-fil-a would be a welcome addition over there. When you see major well known chains going out of business in the same town and all were located within walking distance of each other it is not good in that town.

But keep in mind that Taco Bell, Blockbuster and Burger King all went out of business in Mauldin!
Blockbuster has gone out in most areas. I was actually surprised to find any movie rental places when we moved here. We didn't have a single rental place left within 20 minutes of where we lived in FL (a city of 50k+, in a much larger metro area).

Taco Bell and BK closed before we moved here, so I don't know how they were doing, but the other fast food places in the area seem to be doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 12:47 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I don't see why three grocery stores are needed on one corner in Mauldin. It looks like Ingles would be better served to close their Mauldin and Simpsonville stores and build a big store near 385 and W Georgia Road. Hopefully they will demolish their current store in Mauldin after the new one is built and sale off and develop some parcels of that land to places like Chick-fil-a etc. I bet they will have a fuel center too.
Ingle's Mauldin and Powdersville rebuilds will be similar to its Black Mountain, North Carolina rebuilt store. The new store will be built in 2 or 3 phases, allowing its departments to move into their new surroundings when ready. The final phase built includes the pharmacy department, fuel center, and (in newer locations) garden centers.

No word yet on Ingle's replacing/improving its Simpsonville and Piedmont (Moonville) locations.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:29 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
Blockbuster has gone out in most areas. I was actually surprised to find any movie rental places when we moved here. We didn't have a single rental place left within 20 minutes of where we lived in FL (a city of 50k+, in a much larger metro area).

Taco Bell and BK closed before we moved here, so I don't know how they were doing, but the other fast food places in the area seem to be doing well.
Yeah but the Blockbuster location on S. Pleasantburg drive in Greenville is still alive and kicking. The last time I was down there they seemed to be doing fine. Taco Bell, BK and Blockbuster all closed in the same year and I should also mention that they were all located on Mauldin's main street corridor (if it can really be called a main street). How often do you see that many well known chains close in the same year in the same town?

Not sure what it is but there is something that is just not quite right with that town. Whoever is in charge of city planning for Mauldin needs to really take a close look at what the town has become. An eyesore of fast food chains, gas stations, 99 cent stores, pharmacy's and supermarket strip malls!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
Quote:
Whoever is in charge of city planning for Mauldin needs to really take a close look at what the town has become. An eyesore of fast food chains, gas stations, 99 cent stores, pharmacy's and supermarket strip malls!
Already in progress - US 276 project beautification. In addition, there are design guidelines for new construction to prevent endless addition of bland strip malls. The East Butler Plaza storefronts have already been upgraded to give a more inviting appearance. The Mauldin Cultural Center has been renovated, and will be heavily used for movies and concerts. There are plans to extend pedestrian-attractive areas down Murray Dr.

This stuff takes many years to take effect, but it's moving forward.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:05 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,546,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Already in progress - US 276 project beautification. In addition, there are design guidelines for new construction to prevent endless addition of bland strip malls. The East Butler Plaza storefronts have already been upgraded to give a more inviting appearance. The Mauldin Cultural Center has been renovated, and will be heavily used for movies and concerts. There are plans to extend pedestrian-attractive areas down Murray Dr.

This stuff takes many years to take effect, but it's moving forward.
That is great to hear. A main street should have a true main street look and feel.....I hope their plan really address's these issues.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:39 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Ingle's Mauldin and Powdersville rebuilds will be similar to its Black Mountain, North Carolina rebuilt store. The new store will be built in 2 or 3 phases, allowing its departments to move into their new surroundings when ready. The final phase built includes the pharmacy department, fuel center, and (in newer locations) garden centers.

No word yet on Ingle's replacing/improving its Simpsonville and Piedmont (Moonville) locations.
Still the Mauldin Ingles rarely looks busy and why do they want to be directly across the street from BILO and Publix? Not sure why they would want to throw any more money into that location. Like Ingles or not I still think they are third choice in this area for most people when it comes to supermarkets unless they are the only choice in a certain area.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:03 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Yeah but the Blockbuster location on S. Pleasantburg drive in Greenville is still alive and kicking. The last time I was down there they seemed to be doing fine. Taco Bell, BK and Blockbuster all closed in the same year and I should also mention that they were all located on Mauldin's main street corridor (if it can really be called a main street). How often do you see that many well known chains close in the same year in the same town?

Not sure what it is but there is something that is just not quite right with that town. Whoever is in charge of city planning for Mauldin needs to really take a close look at what the town has become. An eyesore of fast food chains, gas stations, 99 cent stores, pharmacy's and supermarket strip malls!
Mauldin has a new mayor and 2 new council members this year. Note to towns...don't pass tax increases that are unnecessary. Hopefully we will see some improvement in the next 4 years. BK and Taco Bell were in an area some deem near impossible to exit from during peak travel hours. I rarely had any trouble making left turns out of them but there have been a number of serious accidents in this block over the years.

Sure would like to see a left turn signal at Butler & Cary added to ease traffic making left turns from Butler here.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:56 AM

9,492 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Still the Mauldin Ingles rarely looks busy and why do they want to be directly across the street from BILO and Publix? Not sure why they would want to throw any more money into that location. Like Ingles or not I still think they are third choice in this area for most people when it comes to supermarkets unless they are the only choice in a certain area.
I'm with you and have thought the same thing that Ingles should build a Superstore at W. Georgia Rd. Though I sometimes shop at Ingles for their sales, I find both the Mauldin and Simpsonville stores, dark and depressing. Also they are rarely busy (but that could be a plus).

You mentioned that there are several grocery stores around Ingles...I think Ingles needs to do something different to bring in customers. Publix has the best customer service and experience. Maybe Ingles could transfrom itself into something like a Wegmans.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:59 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Quote:
Like Ingles or not I still think they are third choice in this area for most people when it comes to supermarkets unless they are the only choice in a certain area.
I don't agree, although it might depend on the location, my first choice is always ingles, and I have a publix and a bilo within about the same distance from my house. I find they carry more of the products I am looking for, and have a better selection, with cheaper prices overall.

I will occasionally shop bilo and publix, but usually only for sale items. I find if I do not shop sales at bilo or publix I will consistently spend more money than I do at ingles.

like I said it may depend on the location though, I have a brand new Ingles store near me, while the Bilo which is actually closer is an older store, and I find it to be lacking in many things.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:05 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
I guess this is the case for all the Food Lions that are scheduled to be closed, but the Food Lion at Pelham Rd & Hwy 14 has most items 25% off. Wine and beer are some of the few exceptions. They are no longer stocking fresh cut meats and their produce is getting more limited every day, but there are some good deals to be had. They'll probably put in deeper discounts closer to their closing date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area