Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 07:30 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I guess this was the thread where I should be posting about Sports Authority closing the first week of March.
According to this article, it closes Saturday. [February 23]

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...nclick_check=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 07:33 AM

596 posts, read 937,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

man i think that I'm tearing up a bit, we used to trek to that store when it was Oshman's all the way from Clemson b/c it was the bomb, and now it is closing. i feel like part of me has died.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 AM

596 posts, read 937,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Yes, Kmart at Kmart Plaza was the first in Greenville and likely the upstate.

Kmart has lost ground to Walmart and Target in recent years. I do not know how much longer it will remain.

I do not want to think of more closures coming along Wade Hampton Boulevard in Greenville and Taylors. I do not know if Bi-Lo in Taylors near Walmart has closed yet, but it will be difficult to compete when Walmart Neighborhood Market down the road at Rushmore Drive opens. Shoppers like traditional supermarkets with Walmart's prices.
What is Walmart Neighborhood Market? A grocery store affilated with Walmart but not in a Walmart? Never heard of that.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:23 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
What is Walmart Neighborhood Market? A grocery store affilated with Walmart but not in a Walmart? Never heard of that.
Its a Walmart with grocery only, bakery, deli, pharmacy. Same format as Publix/ Bilo. Like a traditional grocer. For people who don't want the hassle of a supercenter.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
K-mart on Wade Hampton closing May 19.

Two Area Kmart Stores Closing In May | WSPA
Sorry about repeating that...

Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
I would really like to see a Publix on the scale of those in Florida. Every Publix I've seen there is bigger and better stocked than any one I've seen in the Upstate.
Publix has it's new Greenwise store that competes with Whole Foods and The Fresh Market. Their only locations are in Florida. Be cool to see them expand to our area.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:00 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
man i think that I'm tearing up a bit, we used to trek to that store when it was Oshman's all the way from Clemson b/c it was the bomb, and now it is closing. i feel like part of me has died.
Quote:

Oshman's was the ideal sporting goods store in Greenville in its day. It would be nice to have something like it again. Look forward to having Cabela's though.

Quote:
Publix has it's new Greenwise store that competes with Whole Foods and The Fresh Market. Their only locations are in Florida. Be cool to see them expand to our area.
Publix also feautures Publix Sabor, geared toward Hispanic communities, and Publix Pix, its fueling centers.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Greenwise stores, as stand alone units are not being expanded in any great depth by Publix. What Publix is doing, is expanding Publix "hybrid" stores. The word "hybrid" is only used as an internal company callout. About 50% of these stores are the merchandise sold in Greenwise. The newish store in Town Brookhaven in Atlanta is one of these hybrids.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:05 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Clock Drive-In on Wade Hampton Boulevard at North Pleasantburg Drive is closing at month's end.

After nearly 60 years, Greenville landmark to close - FOX Carolina 21

Kimbrell's furniture store on Rutherford Road at Wade Hampton Boulevard in Taylors has closed. Its space is now a thrift store.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 AM

285 posts, read 457,248 times
[quote=Carolina Knight;28659050]Clock Drive-In on Wade Hampton Boulevard at North Pleasantburg Drive is closing at month's end.

After nearly 60 years, Greenville landmark to close - FOX Carolina 21

So sad, one of the last old-school drive inns. I'm surprised that they don't own the property though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area