Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2017, 07:35 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,411 times

Advertisements

Chevy's and Taste Buds were in that ratty old strip center as you turn south on 81 off 153 on the right before Ingle's.Any restaurant that has ever been in that strip has been snakebit.
Powdersville SO needs real dining options.The new Big Clock is still backed up at 8:00 PM through the week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 09:23 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlgal View Post
I went to KMart on Church St last night. The employees would not confirm that they were closing, only stating that they "hoped not", but it was clearly a liquidation sale. Almost everything was discounted, even greeting cards. When I searched online for Kmart inventory blowout sale all results were correlated to closing stores. I also found this article that states 18 more unnamed Kmart stores and 12 unnamed Sears stores will be closing in July. This really makes me sad. I shop at the Church St store often.

Sears quietly closing 30 more stores
If a store's fixtures and equipment are for sale, it is a definite sign of closure. Are any Kmart and Sears stores selling fixtures and equipment?

Old 05-28-2017, 08:14 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If a store's fixtures and equipment are for sale, it is a definite sign of closure. Are any Kmart and Sears stores selling fixtures and equipment?
They did that at the Mauldin KMart, not long ago, maybe at most 4 years ago. Well, I don't know if they were selling fixtures or not, but the seems as though I recall wide open areas of the store. I actually thought they were closing, but they are still there.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:22 AM

Another sign a store is closing is inventory and departments consolidated to a specific area of the store and other public areas of the sales floor cordoned off. Is this present in both Greenville County Kmart stores?

Old 05-28-2017, 06:54 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Another sign a store is closing is inventory and departments consolidated to a specific area of the store and other public areas of the sales floor cordoned off. Is this present in both Greenville County Kmart stores?
No. They are not that far along. Store is still packed with merchandise. After all 10 to 30 percent off is not that great of a sale. They are not honoring the national weekly circulars until the sale ends around June 10 according to the newspaper ad. Speculation on other websites is that the company holds these blowout sales for several weeks to squeeze some cash out of the inventory before it's turned over to liquidator. I noticed hiring signs at both stores this weekend.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:01 PM

Kmart stores 4016 and 7274 may do more business during the summer season that hiring for additional associates is understandable. Concerns about the future of Sears Holdings and the Kmart and Sears banners may not make working at Kmart a long term solution.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:07 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Chevy's and Taste Buds were in that ratty old strip center as you turn south on 81 off 153 on the right before Ingle's.Any restaurant that has ever been in that strip has been snakebit.
Powdersville SO needs real dining options.The new Big Clock is still backed up at 8:00 PM through the week!
I haven't been to the new Big Clock. It seems like a lot of their offerings would be similar to what Pizza House down the road offers. The Powdersville area could support more quality dining options. Pizza House, Big Clock, Cracker Barrel, and Chik Fil A are consistently busy. With the exit of Sonny's BBQ (which I never liked) and closure of Brushy Creek BBQ, a good quality BBQ place located along SC 153 could probably rake in the cash.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:37 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
I agree. Never liked the Sonny's chain food BBQ when there are so many good independent BBQ places in this area.

I would imagine Big Clock Powdersville is like it's sister restaurant in Berea with an extensive meat and 2/3 menu as well as the traditional American/Greek/Italian fare. Same Owners.

I would think Powdersville could use more fast casual chains like Chili's and Applebee's. One of those seafood restaurants like Silver Bay would probably do well too.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:24 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I agree. Never liked the Sonny's chain food BBQ when there are so many good independent BBQ places in this area.

I would imagine Big Clock Powdersville is like it's sister restaurant in Berea with an extensive meat and 2/3 menu as well as the traditional American/Greek/Italian fare. Same Owners.

I would think Powdersville could use more fast casual chains like Chili's and Applebee's. One of those seafood restaurants like Silver Bay would probably do well too.
I doubt you will see any of the chain bar style restaurants in the Powdersville area until you have liquor by the drink on Sunday in unincorporated Anderson County.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:24 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post

Agreed. WhiteWater Vol makes a good point though. Need to get rid of those archaic laws. Powdersville could definitely support things like an Applebees or Panera Bread etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area