Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 01:44 PM

11,689 posts, read 24,642,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I spoke to someone there last week and they told me that Wade Hampton was one of the better performing stores and no danger of it closing. Now the Berea store never seems that busy to me. Was it on the list? would not be suprised.
No Kmarts in South Carolina were on the list. The only Sears on the list is located in Sumter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 01:57 PM

4,558 posts, read 5,908,836 times
G-man have you heard anything about Ollies coming to Greenville? I know they opened a store in Spartanburg before the holidays and I read somewhere they were looking for locations in Greenville, Anderson, Greenwood etc. They are like Big Lots and tend to go into spaces where other retailers have vacated. They have a lot of crap but fun to look through. They are kind of like how Big Lots used to be before they started cleaning up their act.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:02 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,424,110 times
Quote:
G-man have you heard anything about Ollies coming to Greenville? I know they opened a store in Spartanburg before the holidays and I read somewhere they were looking for locations in Greenville, Anderson, Greenwood etc. They are like Big Lots and tend to go into spaces where other retailers have vacated. They have a lot of crap but fun to look through. They are kind of like how Big Lots used to be before they started cleaning up their act.
Big Lots vacated the Mauldin store last year. Ollies sounds like what Zayre used to be when I was a kid.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Big Lots vacated the Mauldin store last year. Ollies sounds like what Zayre used to be when I was a kid.
That old Big Lots in Mauldin would be a great place for an Ollies but I am wondering if Ingles will eventually use that space to build a new/ bigger store. I wonder if Ingles still owns all that since that Big Lots was originally their store.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:04 PM

5,125 posts, read 7,246,826 times
[quote=NoodlesKnowles;22641080]thats so funny, when I read the other post, this is the first thing I thought of, oh how I miss Hoss's! One of my favorite childhood restaurants, along with Eat'nPark [/quo I believe they still have EatnPark in Pa. Also wish they would put a Frisch's Big Boy or Bob's Big Boy here since all the Shoney's are gone.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:10 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,115,629 times
Quote:
You just aged yourself! Ollie's isn't like Zayre's, I'd say Zayre's was more like KMart, but 70's style. Hmmm, then again, some of the Kmarts I've been still look like they haven't come out of the 70's.

I remember Zayre's, Jeffersons and the Treasury - all gone.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:33 PM

6,888 posts, read 22,424,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
You just aged yourself!
Shucks!

Old 01-22-2012, 04:32 PM

21,003 posts, read 26,990,956 times
Quote:
Just saw this on the web:

Buffets Restaurants Holdings Inc. has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection for a second time and plans to shut 81 underperforming restaurants as it tries to cope with its debt.

The company, based in Eagan, Minn., operates 494 restaurants in 38 states under names such as Old Country Buffet, HomeTown Buffet, Ryan's and Tahoe Joe's Famous Steakhouse restaurant.

Buffets Restaurants seeks bankruptcy protection - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57361376/buffets-restaurants-seeks-bankruptcy-protection/ - broken link)

Wonder if they'll close that gawd awful Ryans on Wade Hampton, or at least restructure it to make it better if they keep it open.

They wonder why they're doing bad - I doubt anyone in the company actually tastes the food they serve there? If they did, they'd know why they're underperforming!
Quote:
I miss the old Western Sizzlin style restaurants where you could get a simple steak and potato with a nice salad bar. Someone should really bring that concept back as a lower cost alternative to Outback, Lonestar etc. Ryans was a great mid price steak house at one time. They are just trying to do to many things these days.
Quote:
Gosh, that was a blast from the past rememberance! I use to go to WS as well and enjoyed it way back when. Also, the Ponderosa (went up in Rochester) and the Sizzler was another place.

True, there are no places like that anymore, at least not that I know of.
Quote:
Ryans had that Sizzler/Ponderosa format in the beginning. Their was another chain called Quincys too- Steaks,Baked Potato and a Salad Bar. I just think buffets are nasty. People coming in, not washing their hands, grabbing the serving utensils, Yuck No thanks.
Ryan's was acquired by Buffets, Inc. several years ago. It still maintains its corporate offices in Greer. Ryan's is still successful despite the reemergence of Golden Corral in recent years.

Western Sizzlin still exists in Clemson, and has acquired several Quincy's locations in Georgia.

Ponderosa, I think, has a location up in Brevard (Trasnsylvania County), North Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I thought everybody was saying the Kmart on Wade Hampton Blvd. was going to close next month. Ummm....not according to the closing list that was released by the company. Glad to see them staying open myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
No Kmarts in South Carolina were on the list. The only Sears on the list is located in Sumter.
The list of store closures were the 79 initial locations that are closing. Sears Holdings announced 120 would be closing, so more are yet to be announced.

Quote:
I spoke to someone there last week and they told me that Wade Hampton was one of the better performing stores and no danger of it closing. Now the Berea store never seems that busy to me. Was it on the list? would not be suprised.
This would be a surprise if it remains open. I have spoke with some former Kmart associates from this location who confirmed the Wade Hampton location consistently operated in the red, and that it would be the first store in the area to close. On my last visit there, there were not many customers in the store, only one register was open, and the store was in disarray. With Walmart and Target attracting more customers up the road, business shifted elsewhere.

Quote:
Quote:
That old Big Lots in Mauldin would be a great place for an Ollies but I am wondering if Ingles will eventually use that space to build a new/ bigger store. I wonder if Ingles still owns all that since that Big Lots was originally their store.
Yes, Ingle's will be rebuilding its Mauldin and Powdersville locations this year. Several things left from Big Lots are being cleared out before demolition begins for the Mauldin rebuild.

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 01-22-2012 at 04:46 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 07:44 PM

I don't see why three grocery stores are needed on one corner in Mauldin. It looks like Ingles would be better served to close their Mauldin and Simpsonville stores and build a big store near 385 and W Georgia Road. Hopefully they will demolish their current store in Mauldin after the new one is built and sale off and develop some parcels of that land to places like Chick-fil-a etc. I bet they will have a fuel center too.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:14 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,532,619 times
Quote:
I don't see why three grocery stores are needed on one corner in Mauldin. It looks like Ingles would be better served to close their Mauldin and Simpsonville stores and build a big store near 385 and W Georgia Road. Hopefully they will demolish their current store in Mauldin after the new one is built and sale off and develop some parcels of that land to places like Chick-fil-a etc. I bet they will have a fuel center too.
With you! Been saying for a long time that Mauldin has way too many of the same types of stores. Too many 99 cent stores, pharmacy's, supermarkets and gas stations. Yeah a Chick-fil-a would be a welcome addition over there. When you see major well known chains going out of business in the same town and all were located within walking distance of each other it is not good in that town.

But keep in mind that Taco Bell, Blockbuster and Burger King all went out of business in Mauldin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area