Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 02:35 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
This place isn't for everybody. No place is. It is the place for me though. If a person doesn't like it here, then I personally think they shouldn't be here. Who wants a place with bunches of unhappy folks? I'm just fine with the folks who do like it.
I agree, good luck to the OP wherever He/She ends up, Gvl is not for everyone, sorry your experience wasn't great

Old 01-13-2012, 04:27 AM

241 posts, read 792,627 times
to Whitecup

Please try to be out by May, I'll be moving to Greenville at that time. Happy to take your spot!

Old 01-13-2012, 06:46 AM

477 posts, read 840,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
If a person doesn't like it here, then I personally think they shouldn't be here.
It is not always that simple. Some people don't really have a choice (which is the case for me for example). But I don't dislike Greenville. Just wanted to point out that not everything is black or white.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:57 AM

154 posts, read 624,210 times
Have to say that this is the oddest bashing of Greenville yet which of course forces me to respond. Particularly the driving part. We moved here in 2008 from Maryland and we had to seriously adjust our driving habits...we drove like bats out of hell (typical northeast) and would get so frustrated because people actually drove the speed limit.

You must've lived in a pretty weird area - we have yet to meet anyone from the Midwest! So far all of the people we know that are transplants are either from the Northeast or Florida.

Oh well...to each his own!

Old 01-13-2012, 07:07 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,538,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyInFallston View Post
You must've lived in a pretty weird area - we have yet to meet anyone from the Midwest! So far all of the people we know that are transplants are either from the Northeast or Florida.
That's kind of what I was thinking too.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:31 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
If you look at a variety of forums across the country in C-D , you'll find complaints about drivers just about everywhere. It's not just a Greenville problem.

Regarding the drivers here, however, my hubby says that people run yellow and red lights here out of frustration because traffic engineering (e.g. traffic lights) is virtually non-existent. I find myself doing it once in a while, but I try to make a conscious effort not to. Take, for example, the ramps, bridge, and traffic lights at I-85 and Pelham Rd. I'm not sure it's simply the high volume of vehicles at rush hour. The lights on Pelham are totally out of sync to create a reasonable traffic flow.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:36 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,538,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
If you look at a variety of forums across the country in C-D , you'll find complaints about drivers just about everywhere. It's not just a Greenville problem.

Regarding the drivers here, however, my hubby says that people run yellow and red lights here out of frustration because traffic engineering (e.g. traffic lights) is virtually non-existent. I find myself doing it once in a while, but I try to make a conscious effort not to. Take, for example, the ramps, bridge, and traffic lights at I-85 and Pelham Rd. I'm not sure it's simply the high volume of vehicles at rush hour. The lights on Pelham are totally out of sync to create a reasonable traffic flow.
Indeed! See my rant on this subject in another thread....

Easley's new shopping

Old 01-13-2012, 08:58 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Bingo!

I can't remember which intersection exactly, but a few months ago I was the first car at a red light with cars coming from the opposite way turning in front of me with a green arrow. That line of turning cars was backed up WAY far back. People were so frustrated that probably 6 or 7 cars just ran the light in front of me. What can you do? I was standing still. You can't just ram them. I understood that they had been in that line forever. They were taking control of a horribly run intersection, and I imagine it was a common occurrence there to just run the light.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:16 AM

899 posts, read 2,286,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Bingo!

I can't remember which intersection exactly, but a few months ago I was the first car at a red light with cars coming from the opposite way turning in front of me with a green arrow. That line of turning cars was backed up WAY far back. People were so frustrated that probably 6 or 7 cars just ran the light in front of me. What can you do? I was standing still. You can't just ram them. I understood that they had been in that line forever. They were taking control of a horribly run intersection, and I imagine it was a common occurrence there to just run the light.
I hear ya. That is one of my pet peeves - when people keep making left turns on red when the oncoming traffic has already gotten the green. For all the talk about how bad people in Greenville drive, one thing people don't usually do is use their horns in an aggressive manner. But if I'm the first car at a red light and people keep turning left even after they've gotten the red arrow and I've gotten the green, I'll just inch up and lay into them with my horn. That'll teach 'em.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:44 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyInFallston View Post
Have to say that this is the oddest bashing of Greenville yet which of course forces me to respond. Particularly the driving part. We moved here in 2008 from Maryland and we had to seriously adjust our driving habits...we drove like bats out of hell (typical northeast) and would get so frustrated because people actually drove the speed limit.

Oh well...to each his own!
I've met dozens of people from the midwest and most of them are from Ohio. Almost all the out of state people I meet are from Ohio, Florida or New Jersey. Not sure why exactly though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area