Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 12:29 PM

125 posts, read 206,569 times

Advertisements

Apparently you do not understand the meaning of the words alternative and convenient....new to the board, not to the area nor to the english language. When replying to someone who is not familiar with the area, I thought it would be acceptable to offer a more desireable alternative. A simple gesture offered out of kindness. What will do better for me will be a decision I make for myself, 60.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 01:27 PM

153 posts, read 937,360 times
San Souci can be safe if you end up on the right street and cross your fingers. I lived there for about 6 months when i first moved to Greenville and while the house and the street I was on was very cute and the neighbors were nice enough, everyone trying to improve their houses, but if you left that street it went downhill really fast.

Having said that, the majority of the houses on my cute little street were broken into while I lived there. I have large dogs so we were fine and I wasn't worried (we were one of the only two houses not hit) but without the dogs I'd have been installing an extra deadbolt.

I live off Laurens rd now and am much happier here. It's a three minute drive by car to the park/downtown and there's plenty of rentals available. A lot of the streets here have houses being flipped and remodeled, so if you are looking to buy you could actually get a really cheap house (50k range), remodel it and possibly sell it for a good profit five or so years down the road. I've seen my own street go from every house being run down, to the vast majority being remodeled. The area is trying.

Anyway, that is my suggestion, I actually couldn't tell you what the area is called, except that it's across from Nicoltown, on the other side of Laurens rd.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:03 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
No they are not. They are towns near to Greenville in the same way Spartanburg and Greer are. You should find both to the west of Greenville when looking at Google Maps.
Actually Powdersville isn't a town at all, and some of it falls into the 29611 zip, making it a part of Greenville. Much of Easley and Powdersville are very convenient to downtown, even more so than some parts of the Greenville area, and certainly much more so than Spartanburg.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:07 PM

125 posts, read 206,569 times
Thank you NoodlesKnowles.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:57 PM

11 posts, read 25,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurengenevieve View Post
Hi! My husband and I are moving to Greenville from Houston (can't wait! Houston is the most boring big city I have ever lived in)! We love the outdoors and would like to not live somewhere so big. You only need so much of any one thing, right? Anyway, we are looking to rent a small house in a decent neighborhood. We want to be close enough to downtown. Not interested in Spartonburg or Greer. Does anyone know about the San Souci area? Cherrydale? We don't need anything really fancy, just safe and nice. We're in our early 30's with no children, but probably soon. Would love to hear your thoughts.
I would stay away from cherrydale. Its nice but like everyone said its strange so let me put it simple. When you visit the Cherrydale are go to the Ingles ( its a grocery store). Stand in front of it. everything to the left towards Paris mountain is a lot nice. To the right of Ingles and behind is the Ghetto. Sorry some people would argue with me on this but growing up in the area my whole life I wouldn't live their. Second I know people that work at that grocery store and half of the people are rich that blow money the rest struggle to buy food or just buy nothing but beer.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:05 AM

899 posts, read 2,287,689 times
I think it all depends on what you mean by close enough to downtown. You might be able to find a rental in an area like North Main which is an "in-town" neighborhood where you could theoretically walk to downtown. To me, living in a subdivision on the Eastside of Greenville would not be far from downtown.

I would agree with what has been said about Sans Souci, esp. if you are thinking about kids soon. If close to downtown could mean even a fifteen minute ride in the car, then your options increase dramatically for family friendly neighborhoods. One area that might have affordable rentals in decent neighborhoods would be the Wade Hampton/Edwards Forest area - not far at all from downtown.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 PM

45 posts, read 81,272 times
If you're wanting to live in town, I agree with the recommendations for North Main, Augusta Rd, and Parkins Mill. However, they are pricey neighborhoods (for Greenville, anyway), so if you're looking for something less expensive but still in the city, I'd also recommend Overbrook and some of the other neighborhoods (not sure of their names) off of East North Street near Bob Jones.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 AM

73 posts, read 121,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
I think it all depends on what you mean by close enough to downtown. You might be able to find a rental in an area like North Main which is an "in-town" neighborhood where you could theoretically walk to downtown. To me, living in a subdivision on the Eastside of Greenville would not be far from downtown.

I would agree with what has been said about Sans Souci, esp. if you are thinking about kids soon. If close to downtown could mean even a fifteen minute ride in the car, then your options increase dramatically for family friendly neighborhoods. One area that might have affordable rentals in decent neighborhoods would be the Wade Hampton/Edwards Forest area - not far at all from downtown.
I second the Wade Hampton/Edwards Forest area. We just moved from there to the Half Mile Lake subdivision (needed a larger house). We loved the neighbors and the convenience to shopping at Bi-Lo, Publix, Wal-Mart, and everything else on Wade Hampton - all without having to brave Woodruff Road.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,663 times
We're moving to greenville. We have 2 kids. We're looking for good neighborhoods . We like a five oak school. I need orientation?

Old 01-18-2012, 12:10 PM

298 posts, read 687,003 times
What is a five oak school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area