Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 02:36 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times

Advertisements

Are there any others?

AT&T keeps lying to me. They promise me savings and I get the bill and it has doubled! There is no savings at all. On top of that it is a part time job just trying to keep them honest. I had a package deal when I moved to Charleston was ok. Then they offered to save me more money, a few years later. Then it all started, my bill went up, the service stayed the same or got worse. Lately I discovered although I was paying for 6 MBPS and I needed 5MBPS and a strong connection to Chicago, I was actually only getting 1.5 MBPS. They told me I could do much better and they would give me 24 mbps if I switched to UVerse. I was supposed to be getting lots of credit for prior lousy service. What I ended up with was worse quality phone service because they took the liberty to switch the phone too and only 12 MBPS. Now they've upped the internet to 24 MBPS but it remains to be seen if the rate ends up being what they promised and they are charging me $90 for a land line that used to cost $50. It is a living nightmare. I can't WAIT to get to Greenville and hopefully not have to keep doing business with them.

Is Verizon there or any smaller companies who aren't as blatent about taking advantage as AT&T is?

I need a good old fashioned analog land line and DSL or cable if I have to. Are there any small companies in the upstate I could do business with?

Does Satellite work for internet and phone? I'd be open to that if it is reliable. I don't want to be GOUGED for these services but I also want a RELIABLE phone line.

This would be for the 29615 zip code.

Thanks.

Last edited by emilybh; 01-18-2012 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 02:49 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Your address will make a difference in what is offered and of course, you don't want to give that out on the forum. Our cable company is Charter and they are Customer Service's worst nightmare but we put up because we don't have much choice. Most DSL here is through AT&T. You can get internet through some satellite providers but their reputation is not very good and the last I looked it was very expensive.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:52 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
There is frontier, but I haven't had them long enough yet to give a true opinion. There is Charter, but customer service lacks. I won't be using them again.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:02 PM

Thanks. (I was afraid you might say that about AT&T)How about any independent types that do businesses only? I'd be willing to pay if it was quality service and I do have a business.

Also does anyone have VOIP for their phone service (Voice Over Internet Protocol)? I tried it when it first came out years ago before I moved to SC and people used to tell me I sounded like I was underwater. Is that still around or is that what AT&T is now calling UVERSE?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
There is frontier, but I haven't had them long enough yet to give a true opinion. There is Charter, but customer service lacks. I won't be using them again.
What do you use Frontier for? What do they offer?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:56 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Thanks. (I was afraid you might say that about AT&T)How about any independent types that do businesses only? I'd be willing to pay if it was quality service and I do have a business.

Also does anyone have VOIP for their phone service (Voice Over Internet Protocol)? I tried it when it first came out years ago before I moved to SC and people used to tell me I sounded like I was underwater. Is that still around or is that what AT&T is now calling UVERSE?
Charter's telephone is VOIP and I would agree that the connection was "underwater". If you want a truly "wired" phone you are probably stuck with AT&T.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:52 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

U-Verse is a mixture of VOIP phone, IP TV, and hybrid DSL / Fiber (FTTN).

I have U-Verse for internet and TV, but use Ring Central for my business VOIP (with my home number as an add on number). I've used VOIP for a number of years for both home and business (Vonage before RC).

With VOIP, latency is key to a good connection (how quickly data can be sent, not how much data can be sent at any one time). I had some issues with the VOIP service when we had cable (higher latency), but none on FiOS in FL, and none here with U-Verse. We have two VOIP lines, and routinely use them both at the same time without issue.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:06 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,374 times
I used Skype for awhile when I lived in an area that had bad Cell reception. you can get an actual phone number and handset to use. I never had any reception problems or quality problems

Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 AM

5,490 posts, read 8,320,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
there is frontier, but i haven't had them long enough yet to give a true opinion. There is charter, but customer service lacks. I won't be using them again.
dsl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area