Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 04:08 PM

251 posts, read 950,596 times

Advertisements

So its been about twenty years since I have had a pet. I've wanted one for about that long, but the time has never seemed right. I think I'm ready now.

Does anyone have any experience with local animal shelters, or any advice on a place to adopt ? Also I know most shelters will spade or neuter and update shots on adopted animals. How much should I expect to pay for the adoption service ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 04:27 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
I can recommend Concerned Citizens for Animals (CCA). We adopted the sweetest, most gentle female black lab mix 8 years ago, and she's still with us, loving us every day! We met (and became friends with) the man from CCA who had been fostering her until we adopted her. They're a strictly no-kill shelter.
Concerned Citizens for Animals - Welcome!

Hope you have a new fur baby very soon!

Old 01-19-2012, 04:39 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
We got our friend at the Greenville Humane Society. Their new facility is awesome, and I think their rates are now variable depending on what you can afford. It seems like we spent like $80 or $90 total to adopt, but it may have been less. The prices for their other services are really good. They are also a no kill facility.

Greenville Humane Society

Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 PM

684 posts, read 1,185,571 times
Animal Care Services in Cherrydale is a fairly new facility with a good adoption service.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:14 PM

251 posts, read 950,596 times
Thanks for the answers so far. I have been reading a thread in the pet section of this forum about the vetting process for pet adoption. What do locals shelters require of the applicant in order to adopt ?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:27 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Here is the link for Greenville County Animal Care

Greenville County ACS

Old 01-19-2012, 08:46 PM

10,074 posts, read 7,754,937 times
I don't have any advice to add but I had to share this:

Military Reunions with Man's Best Friend- Dogs Welcoming Home Their Owners from Deployment.wmv - YouTube

I watched it a few times and cried each time. It is too sweet.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:41 AM

696 posts, read 1,334,906 times
We got two cats form the Greenwood shelter for roughly $40 total. We're now looking for a dog, too, and will probably be going back to Greenwood. From time to time they have no-fee adoption days. Their selection is significantly smaller than other shelters we looked at, but the staff was very friendly and immensely helpful. The cats had all of their shots, were spayed, microchipped, and treated for fleas, ticks, and worms. We also got a 30-day insurance voucher for a vet (and I think most shelters do this now).

Old 01-20-2012, 02:45 PM

347 posts, read 980,007 times
These are all excellent recommendations! You can also go to PetFinder.com to get a listing of local non-profit animal rescue groups (there are a lot!).

I got my dog at Hugs for Hounds in Mauldin Hugs for Hounds // Mauldin Animal Shelter
I went in there on a whim and instantly fell in love with a 4 month old beagle-mix. Now it's 2 years later and we're inseparable
They include the spay/neuter/microchip/clean bill of health in their adoption fees.
I don't remember their exact adoption fee, but when I got my dog the adoption fee, cage, and first bag of food added up to $200.
There is an application, but it's really just to get your info and document that you have a place to live.

Have fun!

Old 01-20-2012, 02:52 PM

298 posts, read 686,703 times
The wife does rescue runs for the various shelters and animal rescues in the Upstate area.

I am not really sure where you are at geographically?

All the suggestions above are good. But please .... get your pet from a shelter or a rescue.

Most PetSmarts have rescue animals on display every Saturday. Go rescue your best friend tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area