Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 4,173 times

Advertisements

I believe Nuclear Tiger must be out of a job and on a personal mission of some sort, considering the amount of time he spends playing the expert in all areas. In any event, he needs to give completely accurate information. I too live in Airy Springs, and am aware that there are not four homes with "active mold growth". There was one other, and Legendary immediately remediated the mold. His reference to another buyer who did not close because of poor construction is absolutely false - there are problems on the mortgage approval side of that deal, and that is a door slammer no matter what a builder does.
I have built several homes, and there are always some issues that need to be addressed in the first year or so after the home is occupied. This has been the case with custom builders that I have hired as well. And you can bet I paid a pretty penny more for the custom homes, but issues still arose.
It is beyond me why a homeowner would continue on such a viscious ramp month after month , thereby devaluing all the homes in the community, including the home of Nuclear Tiger. It seems to be a case of an unrealistic homeowner who will never be happy no matter what. I believe many of us in this community are pretty tired of his continuous complaints, instigating trouble, and causing unnecessary bad feelings among the people in this community. Nuclear Tiger, please keep your baked goods and start creating some positive vibes in the lives around you. It's time.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 7,584 times
So I see that someone claiming to be a moderator has deleted my story of my horrible experience with the builder Legendary Communities, its okay I have done my research on this company and found that what I experienced is very common, many people having homes built by Legendary Communities have had the same problems and issues that I have had, I should have done more in depth research in this company before signing, unfortunately I was in New York at the time we chose this builder and in retrospect we should have waited until we relocated to South Carolina before choosing a builder. I was starting to feel that choosing to move here was a big mistake, I could not believe what I was seeing during the construction of the Legendary home, mismanagement, poor workmanship, low quality materials and errors that were compounded by further errors, and the worst customer service I have ever experienced with a company. I have since found that that is not the norm, I have found several small scale builders that build quality homes, and are very competitive in price, with the personalized customer service you would expect when you are making such a large investment as building a home. So my advise to anyone considering a Legendary Communities home is do your own research before you sign anything with this company

Old 12-03-2013, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,636 times
These homes are fine if they are all contained to their own subdivision. It is when they go into an area of nice custom homes and start building these cheap houses that brings the value of the other homes down.
I had a talk with a Legendary site manager about the quality of their homes compared to the other homes in the subdivision. At first he said their homes were of good quality, until I called him out on several things about the house. Then he admitted they were not as high of quality as the other homes there, but the average consumers are not builders like us and do not know the difference. Enough said.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:32 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder16 View Post
These homes are fine if they are all contained to their own subdivision. It is when they go into an area of nice custom homes and start building these cheap houses that brings the value of the other homes down.
I had a talk with a Legendary site manager about the quality of their homes compared to the other homes in the subdivision. At first he said their homes were of good quality, until I called him out on several things about the house. Then he admitted they were not as high of quality as the other homes there, but the average consumers are not builders like us and do not know the difference. Enough said.
Yep. They're code-minimum homes with enough lipstick to look decent to the general public. In the end, they cater to a large portion of the population who cares only about the # in front of the words "square feet" instead of all of the important stuff about their house and its construction. Unfortunately, that statement applies to a large percentage of home-builders and developers these days. Please note that I don't think they are UNSAFE, but in terms of quality, energy efficiency, maintenance etc. most builders in this tier aren't ticking any of those boxes. People just have to understand that when buying a home of this caliber you're giving up quality to gain ft².

Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 7,673 times
I am new here and have been watching this forum for a while. I am building with Legendary, and I can say that the house that they are building for me is of good quality and soundly built home. I have built with local custom builder before in the Greenville area, and to let you know, any builder has their set of issues. Legendary has worked with us to our specifications and my home will be as custom as many of the 'nice custom homes' that Builder16 mentions in his posts. Legendary has hit a nerve in the area because they are built quality homes with great value, and they are allowing homeowners to get a near custom home if they want that experience. Are there issues? Yes there are issues, but nothing that isn't normal in any home building process.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:04 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
Off-topic in relation to Legendary specifically, but it seems people on here call anything "custom home" where the homeowner has the least little bit of input into changing finishes, adding a small sunroom, or making minor changes. That's not "custom" or anything close to it: that's just standard dealing with building a home with a construction company. Please note there is nothing wrong with this approach, but it is far from what people are talking about when they refer to "custom" homes. That term has gotten thrown around a lot to refer to stuff that is not truly "custom" but rather semi-customizable.

I don't know your exact situation though. Maybe you actually did hire an architect to design a truly custom home from scratch, built to suit for your lot and land and needs. Maybe you did get input into the exact type and brand of vapor barrier, radiation reflective barriers in the attic, the type and R-value of insulation used in the wall cavities, etc (or perhaps you went with pre-insulated panels). I'm not here to say you didn't do all that. But in general, people use the word "custom" to refer to houses that are anything but (my own house included).

In addition, there is a difference between true high quality and building to meet codes and standards. Just because someone says something isn't high-quality doesn't mean they are saying it is unsafe to occupy or unsuitable as a home. But there is a true difference in true high quality that simply cannot be built at the price-point large builders are targeting. Doesn't mean a house is terrible, but it's not the best out there. My house is safe, keeps us dry, and has been an acceptable house to live in. It met all codes and standards at the time it was built and is on par or slightly better than the quality of homes Legendary builds. However, just about every facet of our house could still have been built of higher quality had it been a truly custom home. There is a difference that is easy to recognize and there is no shame or need to be defensive. Would a buy a home of this quality again? nah.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:36 PM

24 posts, read 34,229 times
I can't believe this thread is still going.....and I'm adding to it. I've read every page and started long ago when I was interested in building a new home. What I see are 3 types of people in this thread. (1)Those that bought a Legendary home and like it that feel the need to stand up for themselves because of the next group, (2)those that bought a Legendary home and had a bad experience with a particular site manager or building crew and have labeled all Legendary homes as low quality or barely meeting building code. And finally (3) those that bought another builders home and paid more per sq/ft and feel the need to justify their cost by saying its a "better quality" than a Legendary home. The bottom line is nearly every home being built meets code. And the building code is more than over-kill to build a safe home. I don't recall ever seeing a Legendary, Crown, Ryan or any other builder's home falling down after 10 or 20 years. The fact is you have some good work crews and site managers and you have some bad ones. That holds true with all builders of any size. Unfortunately in any industry you'll see the same, some people that take pride in their work and do the best job possible and some that have a bad attitude, don't care and just put their time in to collect a check. Legendary sells their homes at a cost that is less per sq/ft than their competition, there is no denying that. Personally I think their business plan is to sell at a lower cost and gain control over the market by increasing volume. Its working too...how many of us drive around Greenville County and see those blue and white Legendary signs. My personal opinion, I think Legendary homes have great curb appeal, they're well built, will hold their value and make a great home. I've seen some of the homes of the posters on this page and in my humble opinion, they're beautiful homes. I hope those of you that bought them enjoy them for a very long time. Those that bought Legendary and don't like them, there are options. I'm sure a realtor would love to pick up a new listing.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:33 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conky View Post
I can't believe this thread is still going.....and I'm adding to it. I've read every page and started long ago when I was interested in building a new home. What I see are 3 types of people in this thread. (1)Those that bought a Legendary home and like it that feel the need to stand up for themselves because of the next group, (2)those that bought a Legendary home and had a bad experience with a particular site manager or building crew and have labeled all Legendary homes as low quality or barely meeting building code. And finally (3) those that bought another builders home and paid more per sq/ft and feel the need to justify their cost by saying its a "better quality" than a Legendary home. The bottom line is nearly every home being built meets code. And the building code is more than over-kill to build a safe home. I don't recall ever seeing a Legendary, Crown, Ryan or any other builder's home falling down after 10 or 20 years. The fact is you have some good work crews and site managers and you have some bad ones. That holds true with all builders of any size. Unfortunately in any industry you'll see the same, some people that take pride in their work and do the best job possible and some that have a bad attitude, don't care and just put their time in to collect a check. Legendary sells their homes at a cost that is less per sq/ft than their competition, there is no denying that. Personally I think their business plan is to sell at a lower cost and gain control over the market by increasing volume. Its working too...how many of us drive around Greenville County and see those blue and white Legendary signs. My personal opinion, I think Legendary homes have great curb appeal, they're well built, will hold their value and make a great home. I've seen some of the homes of the posters on this page and in my humble opinion, they're beautiful homes. I hope those of you that bought them enjoy them for a very long time. Those that bought Legendary and don't like them, there are options. I'm sure a realtor would love to pick up a new listing.
There is a 4th group. The ones who work for the company that just want to save their reputation and come join just to post it.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:40 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,869,811 times
Yes, and comparing the production home we are living in now to the semi-custom one we are building I can tell you there is a big difference in the fit and finish between the two types of homes.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:05 AM

24 posts, read 34,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
There is a 4th group. The ones who work for the company that just want to save their reputation and come join just to post it.

After reading my message, I could see how you could think that. But I assure you I do not work for nor do I have any friends or family that work for Legendary or any other builder for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area