U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:16 PM

9,742 posts, read 18,891,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Great. As long as they don't put Poinsett on one of those stupid road diets with bike lanes. Traffic is bad enough and backs up during rush hour. Please keep it 4 lanes. I rarely see anyone using those bike lanes they have installed in other areas of downtown. What a waste of money. IMO
Sorry, but I am going to have to disagree vistatiger. In my opinion one of the best things for this road would be to shrink it, widen the sidewalks, and add bike lanes. Burying the power lines and adding decorative street lighting with lots of landscaping would be great also. Oh and cyclists have every right to use roads just as much as vehicle drivers according to SCDOT law. Only exception is interstates.

Last edited by g-man430; 02-27-2012 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,246,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Sorry, but I am going to have to disagree vistatiger. In my opinion one of the best things for this road would be to shrink it, widen the sidewalks, and add bike lanes. Burying the power lines and adding decorative street lighting with lots of landscaping would be great also. Oh and cyclists have every right to use roads just as much as vehicle drivers according to SCDOT law. Only exception is interstates.
I knowcyclists have the right to the road as much as vehicles. For me personally, the way people drive around here including texting and talking on the cell phone while driving I am not getting in one of those bike lanes and putting my life on the line. If you have ever driven this highway during rush hour (I do everyday), you would realize NO WAY this road could be less than four lanes. Try it one morning from Furman to downtown between 7-9am or downtown to Furman between 4-7. It is the main and practically only corridor around Paris Mountain into town from the northern neighborhoods.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:03 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,173,376 times
Quote:
I knowcyclists have the right to the road as much as vehicles. For me personally, the way people drive around here including texting and talking on the cell phone while driving I am not getting in one of those bike lanes and putting my life on the line. If you have ever driven this highway during rush hour (I do everyday), you would realize NO WAY this road could be less than four lanes. Try it one morning from Furman to downtown between 7-9am or downtown to Furman between 4-7. It is the main and practically only corridor around Paris Mountain into town from the northern neighborhoods.
I agree - we can't turn ALL the major routes into downtown into E. North St. The character of the road in question and the type of traffic it handles, preculdes it from having that type of thing done.

Bury power lines? Redo the streetscaping? Unify the corridor visually? Encourage desired development? I'm all for that!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,761,650 times
Quote:
Great. As long as they don't put Poinsett on one of those stupid road diets with bike lanes. Traffic is bad enough and backs up during rush hour. Please keep it 4 lanes. I rarely see anyone using those bike lanes they have installed in other areas of downtown. What a waste of money. IMO
Bike lanes are a good start until drivers of automobiles learn how to be safe around cyclists. You may not see the bike riders (although I can't imagine why), but they definitely use the lanes. With fuel prices continuing to rise above previous records, more people are turning to cheaper transportation alternatives, including cycling. For example, one of my friends rides a bicycle from his home in the North Main area to his office at the Fluor campus when the weather is pleasant.

Having said all of this, don't expect Poinsett Highway to be downsized because it is a U.S. highway and must therefore abide by federal specifications dictating its ability to handle a pre-determined volume of automobile traffic.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 PM

24 posts, read 33,285 times
As someone who has worked smack dab in the middle of "poinsett district" for the last 2 years, I'd love to see it happen... but I have serious doubts. How do you beautify a single road that is surrounded by poverty? This stretch of road has the mission, goodwill, second hand stores, multiple day laborer buildings and a slew of fast food and other low income jobs.

I just don't see it working. I'd rather see a couple manufacturers get lured in and provide some more jobs for the area than having it turned into a destination.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:25 PM

183 posts, read 253,936 times
Default tweet

obligatory twitter feed

@PoinsettProject

Old 03-02-2012, 12:53 AM

15,865 posts, read 13,547,956 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I agree - we can't turn ALL the major routes into downtown into E. North St. The character of the road in question and the type of traffic it handles, preculdes it from having that type of thing done.

Bury power lines? Redo the streetscaping? Unify the corridor visually? Encourage desired development? I'm all for that!
Road diets for major corridors have failed. Look at East North Street for example. It is why Stone Avenue will not have one. Plans for four-laning East North Street again is underway.

One thing I would like to see along Poinsett Highway are planted medians. Imagine driving to downtown Greenville from Cherrydale with a tree-lined median.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:52 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,030,434 times
Where did this road diet talk come from? All I've seen is talks for beautification and revitalization.

As far as a planted median: while it'd be nice, I can't imagine the businesses currently in the area would go for it. You'd be limiting their access. Furthermore, you'd initiate a very dangerous pattern of U-turns.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:16 AM

5,681 posts, read 9,173,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I can't imagine the businesses currently in the area would go for it. You'd be limiting their access.
Certainly you're not suggesting that the current businesses want to keep the unsightly status quo? I would think improvements to the corridor could only help them. But, there does need to be churn in that area anyway - hopefully there can be ways to incentivize desired types of development (whatever that ends up being).

I wouldn't really have such strong feelings about this issue, except that the corridor in question is the major route north into and from the mountains. It encourages people to form an (incorrect) image of our city and area.

Last edited by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex; 03-02-2012 at 07:34 AM..

Old 03-05-2012, 08:09 AM

11 posts, read 16,174 times
Rezoning the entire stretch of road, is the FIRST thing that needs to be done. Having lived in large cities for the majority my life, the lack of forethought when it comes to the layout of most moderately sized southern cities incenses me. There are homes and trailer parks right next to business and shopping centers (Whitehorse Road is a good example). The city/county needs to buy these residents out, and create an industrial/commercial zone on the entire stretch (who in the hell wants to live on a highway???). Included in the rezoning should be signage restrictions. Am I the only one that sees this mismash of signs here...signs there...WTF????

The next thing that needs to happen is the revitalization. You drive past Furman traveling North to South, and you say, wow that looks nice. Once you past the Publix shopping center on your right, it goes downhill from there (literally and figuratively). At minimum, this stretch that leads you to the Cherrydale shopping center, and the quarter mile before you make the left at (drawing a blank)...McDonalds, should be done.

-Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area