Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 4,917 times

Advertisements

If you want to get noticed then you go to the town central and yell and scream until you finally get heard. Not easy for me because I live in Frankfort KY. The next best thing is to go here and see what happens.

Here is my site;

I want to work for BMW - Ronald Campbell - BMW Engineering & Operations Management Program (Information Technology)

Now go here;

MINIUSA.com

Nothing alike right? Have you ever heard of the saying that you should tweak your resume for the job you want? Just sayin'

In chance you didn't just figure it out, I want to work at BMW. More to the point, I want to start in the Engineering & Operations Management Program in 2012. If you know someone at the BMW plant would you please send this their way? That'd be great.

Also, what do you think about the site? Pretty cool? I am going to be updating it more this weekend with some big additions. The "Employee Configurator". Check back around Sunday night to see what's new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 06:56 PM

298 posts, read 686,612 times
Just over a year ago I was hired my Kentucky Fish and Wildlife as a Programmer/Analyst. (spelling)

The stuff that matters, but 'YOU' don't see in an interview. (grammer)

We knew it would 'BE' tough with both of us going to school, and me working two jobs. (grammer)

These three grammatical errors in less than a minute surf of your site. I strongly suggest a proof reading of your text.

The Germans do not like sloppy quality control.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 02-23-2012 at 07:05 PM..

Old 02-23-2012, 07:36 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
Here are some suggestions for you from a guy who's been around the track many times (both as a person seeking a job and as a manager hiring people).

* Change the titles of the courses you've taken to upper/lower case; all upper case is hard to read and many find it annoying. It's OK to have an all uppercase word here and there, though.

* Unless you're sure it's a good fit for the BMW corporate culture and enhances your online resume, drop the photo with the tattoos. It doesn't create a professional image. I also am not sure the picture of you with your arms outspread at the front of the boat creates the right image. The others are, I think, fine.

* Your site appears to display fine in IE8, haven't tried IE7. I'd drop the "Best if viewed in ..." line at the top ... someone who uses primarily IE doesn't want to be told to use a different browser, and if that's someone reading your resume, well ...

* Your site also looks fine on my iPad, good HTML5/JavaScript work.

* Ask someone to proof your text. For example, under Experience, the second paragraph reads: "Just over a year ago I was hired my Kentucky Fish and WIldlife..." (i.e., my should be by, and I think the "I" after the "W" in Wildlife is uppercase). And under Other, it should be "persevered" and "specifically". I know managers who will throw a resume out if they find a single grammatical error or misspelling. Keep in mind that a manager will look at hundreds of resumes in the course of hiring for a position, and one misstep will get your resume thrown out. Your resume needs to be as near-perfect as you can make it.

* You might want to print up a business card with your contact info and a link to your resume site.

* On the Other page, I wouldn't talk about your marriage, or how long it took you to get through college. Also, I wouldn't mention showing up for work looking clean and professional ... that's assumed, and not something you want to highlight in a resume.

I'd really suggest trying to plan a vacation to the Greenville area to make some personal contacts, and distribute your business card in person, rather than counting on people on this site to make the contact for you.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a lot of time adding more content to the site like your Employee Configurator. An HR representative or potential manager isn't going to spend a lot of times going through your links; he/she will read a few things, and decide whether or not to put your resume in the "possibles" pile. The possibles will be looked at again, probably by additional people ... all of whom are very busy and won't put a lot of time into your site. My advice is, present what people will be able to absorb in 30 seconds on your online resume. That's about all the time you'll have to make a great impression.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:42 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,515,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
These three grammatical errors in less than a minute surf of your site. I strongly suggest a proof reading of your text.

The Germans do not like sloppy quality control.
If I were you OP I'd get in there fast and fix it so that shadetree930 might have a chance to update his post. If not, your stuck!

Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 PM

Default Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I updated everything you all mentioned. Thank you so much for checking out this site. I didn't expect a response so quickly.
I built the site in a matter of days, and I have be so worried about how the menus work, and the slider that I put the other stuff to the side. If there are any more suggestions then please pass them my way.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,753,009 times
Just looking at quickly, I think you did a good job. I did notice another spelling error though. Under Experience 'heavely' is spelled wrong. It should be heavily. I agree about the proofing. Pretty cool though. Good luck!

Old 02-24-2012, 02:20 AM

745 posts, read 2,232,097 times
While we're giving lessons, the word is 'grammar'.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:43 AM

Thank you all again. Everything is up-to-date.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:55 AM

24 posts, read 55,715 times
There were other grammatical and spelling errors when I looked at it - you should carefully check the whole thing. Sometimes it helps to read it out loud if you don't have a proofreader. Yes, it sounds silly to read out loud to yourself but if you really want a job...

Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,213 times
You still need to work on the polish.

"Never be told to old to drive a MINI" ?

Your links in the first post does not work and must be manually entered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area