U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:04 PM

510 posts, read 1,548,127 times

Advertisements

We are from NJ and Italian. We are pretty easy going people but my husband believes that once we cross into Southern territory we will not fit in.

Any other relocating families from NJ or NY, I would like to hear how it is going and what area you settled in and any regrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 11:31 PM

5,408 posts, read 13,313,602 times
I worked with an Italian NJ native several years ago and he and his family really enjoyed living here. With so many (and I do mean MANY) New York natives moving into this area, you shouldn't feel lonely or culturally removed at all. Greenville is a unique place that is constantly changing into a more cultural hub. It is already a very culturally diverse city with plenty of great opportunities year-round. I suggest looking around the Mauldin-Simpsonville, Powdersville-Wren, Travelers Rest, and Greer areas first. If you find something in the city of Greenville, then I recommend moving here above any of the suburbs since most of the Upstate's culture and social life is centered in our vibrant award-winning downtown. There are several great neighborhoods within the city and more are being planned and built right now.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:12 AM

745 posts, read 1,922,593 times
I think anyone considering a move anywhere should do so with the attitude of trying to adapt to the local persona, and embrace the differences of your new surroundings, rather than complain about how we did it in (former city). I've never been able to figure out why some people move to a new area, then set about to change it. It's kind of like people who move to a beautiful, wooded setting, and then knock all the trees down! I'm (eventually) moving to rural SC BECAUSE of the way it is, and you'll be hard-pressed to tell me from a native within a few years. So- I think a lot of it is up to the individual.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:53 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,839,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
We are from NJ and Italian. We are pretty easy going people but my husband believes that once we cross into Southern territory we will not fit in.

Any other relocating families from NJ or NY, I would like to hear how it is going and what area you settled in and any regrets?
There are plenty of people in Greenville who are not locals. Should you choose to relocate to Greenville, you can take comfort in the fact that plenty of other Italians from New Jersey preceded you.

I am sure that there are aspects of life in Greenville that are different than what you are accustomed to, but that can be said with any relocation. People in Greenville are generally very pleasant and accommodating. Based on what you said, your husband will likely be very surprised.

Have you had a chance to visit Greenville for yourself?

Old 09-10-2007, 12:42 PM

2,031 posts, read 5,984,726 times
I was surprised recently on a trip to Wilmington NC how many ex New York Italians have settled in that area. I have a friend that lives on Long Island and almost every other person I met was planning to move there. There must be something in the water over there. Anyway, if you ever feel homesick visit the NC coast sometime! By the way, there was a great Italian market in Wilmington but I forgot the name.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:57 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,424,310 times
nc and sc have become very popular among ny and nj natives. dont worry! there are plenty of you all out there!

Old 09-10-2007, 02:48 PM

2,177 posts, read 4,999,374 times
Quote:

I moved here from rochester, NY just a few short months ago, and I love it. There are tons of transplants here from all over the country, so don't feel like you'd be an outsider here. I thought that originally when all I heard about the south is that they were slower than the north and don't like northerners(yanks), but when I moved here I realized that stereotype is clearly out of date. anyway, all I can say is come for a visit, your first impression will tell you all you need to know, it did for me, hope this helps a little!
on another note, know any Italians chefs looking to open up a nice authentic Italian restaurant? cuz in my opinion we are in dire need down here! I miss the little italian place around the corner from my house in NY, La Trattoria D'Abruzzo with the awesome elderly gentleman(76 years old)Giustino Toppi coming out to my table to make sure the food he prepared was up to par haven't seen anything like that down here, miss it terribly

Old 12-09-2013, 07:10 PM

278 posts, read 229,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
There are plenty of people in Greenville who are not locals. Should you choose to relocate to Greenville, you can take comfort in the fact that plenty of other Italians from New Jersey preceded you.

?
Yeah and they all lie about where theyre from cuz theyve gotten raked over the coals for being from Jersey.

Dont take advice about moving to Gvl from someone who calls you a Yankee. ;D

I like it for the climate and the amenities, but it is definitely a culture clash.

A friend of mines response when I asked her why she moved down here from Philly?
"Honey, I ask myself that every day."

Most "Yankees" I know (you know we dont call ourselves that right?) are "fixin' to leave" as soon as:

1. We get pregnant and want to be closer to family
2. We've built another few lines on the resume for my or my husbands career.
3. As soon as possible!! This was a mistake!!

I myself will not be staying long term. I came here to get something done, and when it is, Im gone.

My advice? Only move here if you already have friends, family here.

You WILL experience culture clash.

Last edited by HeyHowdy; 12-09-2013 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: Lol

Old 12-09-2013, 07:19 PM

5,328 posts, read 5,221,240 times
There are a TON of people here from NY and NJ, including us (South Jersey via California). It's all transplants here. I just ask one thing of you, if you're leaving NJ because of high taxes and anti prosperity liberal policies, please don't vote for democrats once you're here. Many of us left that behind for a reason. Best wishes.
Quote:

Old 12-09-2013, 07:21 PM

5,328 posts, read 5,221,240 times
Wow, I just realized that you bumped a thread that is almost 7 years old. What agenda do you have? I feel like a fool for even posting in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHowdy View Post
Yeah and they all lie about where theyre from cuz theyve gotten raked over the coals for being from Jersey.

Dont take advice about moving to Gvl from someone who calls you a Yankee. ;D

I like it for the climate and the amenities, but it is definitely a culture clash.

A friend of mines response when I asked her why she moved down here from Philly?
"Honey, I ask myself that every day."

Most "Yankees" I know (you know we dont call ourselves that right?) are "fixin' to leave" as soon as:

1. We get pregnant and want to be closer to family
2. We've built another few lines on the resume for my or my husbands career.
3. As soon as possible!! This was a mistake!!

I myself will not be staying long term. I came here to get something done, and when it is, Im gone.

My advice? Only move here if you already have friends, family here.

You WILL experience culture clash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area