Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:02 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecial View Post
Yes, my speed has increased a few times over the last several years. As I mentioned, I have the 16 Mb service. I originally had the 5 Mb service.

Also, the Charter bill statement does NOT show the service speed. You just have to do a speed test to figure it out. speedtest.net
Makes it easier for them to pull a fast one on their customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:08 PM

212 posts, read 423,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecial View Post
Yes, my speed has increased a few times over the last several years. As I mentioned, I have the 16 Mb service. I originally had the 5 Mb service.

Also, the Charter bill statement does NOT show the service speed. You just have to do a speed test to figure it out. speedtest.net

I'll amend my previous statement. I tested my download speed again today, and my service is now 21 Mb. Still the same $54.99.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:12 AM

27 posts, read 28,989 times
That's interesting. I would have said I had the 15MB service but apparently they only offer me 30MB service. I'm still not sure what type of service I have from them. The only thing I could find on the charter site are special offer pricing with no indication of what the price is after the introductory period. I guess I should play the game and call and tell them I'm going to switch everytime the introductory rate expires but, just as they expect, it is too much work.

I've done speedtest and actually get about 20MB on the system connected directly to the router. Lower speeds on the devices connected via WiFi. So either I'm getting 30% more or 30% less bandwidth than I'm paying for.

If I thought it would really help I'd consider their 100MB service but I don't think that would be worth the trouble or the price. That would only be worth it if I either switched to a wired network or moved up to wireless N on my network.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:58 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
I bought an Asus Wireless N and get the 10 I pay for. consistently.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:52 PM

4,231 posts, read 6,905,580 times
We decoupled our internet and TV almost 2 years ago and got better pricing that way (TV through Dish and internet through Charter). Dish has been great price-wise and service-wise but I still think we will just cancel TV service altogether when our contract is up. We just don't watch enough stuff that we have/need to watch LIVE or that we can't just wait and watch on DVD or netflix.

We'll probably just use Netflix and Hulu Plus if we want to watch something on the TV and keep Charter internet and come out around $50 for everything.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:49 AM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
We decoupled our internet and TV almost 2 years ago and got better pricing that way (TV through Dish and internet through Charter). Dish has been great price-wise and service-wise but I still think we will just cancel TV service altogether when our contract is up. We just don't watch enough stuff that we have/need to watch LIVE or that we can't just wait and watch on DVD or netflix.

We'll probably just use Netflix and Hulu Plus if we want to watch something on the TV and keep Charter internet and come out around $50 for everything.
Just install an outside antenna and preamp, and you will receive all local TV channels and most Charlotte channels.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Just install an outside antenna and preamp, and you will receive all local TV channels and most Charlotte channels.
Yeah we did that at one point in between dumping cable and picking up Dish but what we realized is that we hardly ever watch anything live. The only TV show that we really watched live regularly this year was Game of Thrones on HBO. The other few current TV shows that we watch, we almost always watch them off of our DVR since we don't like to be tied down to a TV shows schedule. So stuff like Hulu Plus and Netflix works out great for us since it's all on demand.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:19 AM

557 posts, read 864,683 times
I'm cancelling my Charter basic tv when my contract is up. I can spend that money on much more important things like getting debt free faster.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:23 PM

128 posts, read 319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat57 View Post
That's interesting. I would have said I had the 15 Mbps service but apparently they only offer me 30MB service. I'm still not sure what type of service I have from them. The only thing I could find on the charter site are special offer pricing with no indication of what the price is after the introductory period. I guess I should play the game and call and tell them I'm going to switch everytime the introductory rate expires but, just as they expect, it is too much work.

I've done speedtest and actually get about 20MB on the system connected directly to the router. Lower speeds on the devices connected via WiFi. So either I'm getting 30% more or 30% less bandwidth than I'm paying for.

If I thought it would really help I'd consider their 100MB service but I don't think that would be worth the trouble or the price. That would only be worth it if I either switched to a wired network or moved up to wireless N on my network.
I had the 15 Mbps service and the same thing happened to me. What I found out from a neighbor who was a Charter installation sub-contractor is that the regular modems can't handle the higher speeds, so I had to swap out the Ubee modem for a Cisco one that could do the job. After the switch, you should be able to see a speed increase. You're going to have to lease the proper modem from Charter (less than $10/mo). I wouldn't advise buying your own, because they're changing things so fast now that you could be left with an expensive paperweight.

Just call and tell them you need to swap out your current modem for one that can handle the 30 Mbps speed. They'll give you a time window for a install tech to come out, make the switch, and "provision" the new modem for your account.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvictories View Post
I wouldn't advise buying your own, because they're changing things so fast now that you could be left with an expensive paperweight.
I have to disagree 100%. Renting a modem is a waste of money. There is no scenario where they are increasing technology so fast that the cost of owning vs renting a modem is getting outpaced by their overpriced service charge.

I bought a nice *used* modem for $50 5 years ago and I am still using it today and handles our 20 Mbps service just fine. Even from the not-truly-20Mbps service Charter sends and the wifi hop to my laptop i still register something like 17Mbps download usually (and that's more than enough right now, even considering how much media we stream in HD).

If I rented a modem for $10/month for the past 5 years I would have spent $600 where I only spent $50. If I have to get a new modem in the next couple years, so be it. I'll spend another $50-$100 max and be set for years while it would pay for itself in 5-10 months. I would also never get cable internet service from someone who doesn't let you provide your own modem unless it is included for free in an already competitive price. IMO it's just one of the areas where cable companies try and make extra money (like "wire-maintenance" fees). If for some weird reason you DO rent a modem from someone like Charter, make sure you are getting a new model modem. I've helped people set up routers before (people that weren't comfortable doing it themselves) after they signed up for new Charter service and the Charter tech installed a 4 or 5 year old modem. If you're going to overpay that much you might as well push to get a very new one when they initially set up the service at least.

Last edited by Sunbather; 08-29-2012 at 02:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area