Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:31 AM

10,088 posts, read 7,761,924 times

Advertisements

I noticed my bill went up 3.00 this month. I know it isn't much, but I try and catch little increases and find out what is in fact increasing.

I compared this month's bill with last month's.

My internet went up 3.00 so I did the live chat to see what kind of answer I could get as to why. I told them that I thought everyone was getting a free increase in speed and wondered why I received the increase in internet price and below is their response? ....doesn't sound so free to me.

"I do apologize for the inconvenience, the speed increase was initially free, but to cover all of the service increases for the company nearly all service prices were increased in January."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
When I read the title of your post/thread, my immediate reaction was ".....NOT!"

Old 03-05-2012, 10:32 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,942 times
this is why when I went back to charter this year(mainly because you can't beat them as far as speed to price) I made sure I got a 2 year price lock, I will probably have to switch again when those 2 years are up, but you have to play the game unfortunately....

P.S. did you try threatening to cancel service? if you have them transfer you to the cancellation department usually you can get them to give you a better deal. At&T offered me a price cut and 6 months free when I said I was cancelling, but I opted for faster internet speed.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,383 times
When you call, always ask for Retensions. I've been able to keep my charter bill the same for the last 3-4 years by calling them and threatening to switch. Their job is to keep you so they'll do some dealing to c change things up.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 AM

Oh yes, I'm well aware of retention and threatening to cancel. Glad to know I'm not the only one that does that.

I'll call and threaten to cancel and even one time they said 'OK' and gave me an appt for someone to come out and disconnect. 2 days before they were to come out to disconnect, they have someone call to find out why you are disconnecting. I told them I can't afford the increase in prices and they worked with me then to keep me as a customer. I dread my next fight. lol

I've been known to not only call and threaten to cancel but I've walked into Charter and talked personally and got a bit 'steamed' (nice didn't word) and having everyone looking at me when I went in to complain about big increase. They did finally work with me then to get it back to where it was. It's just ashamed that we have to do these things in order for them not to charge us an arm and a leg. Why do we have to fight for these prices???

So many people don't bother to call or fight their increases. I can only imagine what they are charged.

During the holidays I went home to visit family and I called Time Warner for both my mom and sister and got each of their bills reduced and I also got my sister more channels at the reduced price. They don't bother to call. They just pay the bill figuring they have to pay whatever they are charged.

I thought I was locked into a price for a year...at least on my bill beside each item reduction it states (12 month discount). Does this mean it's locked and I should not be charged the extra 3.00?

I think they just put me on a deal but I'm not locked in but not sure how that works.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:31 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post

I thought I was locked into a price for a year...at least on my bill beside each item reduction it states (12 month discount). Does this mean it's locked and I should not be charged the extra 3.00?

I think they just put me on a deal but I'm not locked in but not sure how that works.
not sure how it works, but on my bill it says 24mo guaranteed next to my price

Old 03-05-2012, 12:39 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
I supposedly got the 2-year guarantee last year, but I sure as h*ll got the letter about the price increase!

Old 03-06-2012, 02:16 AM

117 posts, read 241,987 times
I have the price increase as well.

I will have to say that I am not a very satisfied customer with Charter. Realistically, I lose internet at least 2 times a month. I actually work from home using the internet, so I don't use the internet for leisure; I use it to work. Every time I lose it I get furious because I end up working from the McDonald's parking lot. Not cool at all.

Their customer support is usually good, but I am considering dropping them just on the fact that I lose service; with my prior provider, I never lost service, but the speed was not as fast... I guess I have to make sacrifices.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:53 PM

It just seems to me that if they advertise that they are giving everyone a free speed increase, it should be free. That's false advertising if you ask me. I'd rather go back to my old speed and save 3.00 because honestly I don't see any difference in my speed at all.

Too bad Charter is my ONLY choice for internet service in my neck of the woods. Charter needs more competition.

...and when they tell me my bill will be such and such for a year, then that's what I budget for so don't go up on the price.

Next time I'm going to lock in a price and get one of those guarantees....lessons learned.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
It just seems to me that if they advertise that they are giving everyone a free speed increase, it should be free. That's false advertising if you ask me. I'd rather go back to my old speed and save 3.00 because honestly I don't see any difference in my speed at all.

Too bad Charter is my ONLY choice for internet service in my neck of the woods. Charter needs more competition.

...and when they tell me my bill will be such and such for a year, then that's what I budget for so don't go up on the price.

Next time I'm going to lock in a price and get one of those guarantees....lessons learned.
They have different levels of speed at different prices. If you can get by at a lower speed you can save some money. Call them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area