Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times

Advertisements

Well, seeing how the CEO of Bi-Lo Inc. is staying in Greenville maybe it won't be as bad as we all think. Hopefully it ends up like TD Bank did in this area after they bought Carolina First. You know...new jobs and regional HQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 10:09 AM

10,100 posts, read 7,767,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Publix does not have "coutesy cards," or any other membership savings card that I am aware of.
Yep, I know. That's my point....no extra savings off those high prices...no loyalty type cards.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
It is worth an extra $10 a week to shop in a clean and pleasant environment that Publix has versus the nastiness of Wal-mart. Plus, the employees seem to want to be there at Publix.
Really? I guess it's all a matter of what is priority to you when shopping. I just go in, get what I need and don't dilly dally in the store so saving 40.00 a month would be more a priority to me. I also think it would be more savings than $10.00 a week.

Heck at the end of the month I can go to a spa with my savings and get a nice clean and friendly feel good massage.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:27 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
So as it turns out, South Carolina DID offer more incentives than Florida:

“South Carolina was very, very aggressive offering a whole lot more than we could come up with,” said Lt. Gov. Jennifer Carroll at the news conference.

Source: $6.6M in incentives offered for Bi-Lo, Winn-Dixie HQ - The Financial News & Daily Record - Jacksonville, Florida

Old 03-13-2012, 11:04 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
Today's Publix price on OM Bacon $6.49/lb while at Walmart it's around $4.49 but I now buy Smithfield, which Walmart has for $3.99 or less always. A bag of Tyson Chicken Strips at Publix is $8.49 while Walmart has the same bag for $6.99 or less. I buy 2 of each on each Walmart trip and on those 4 items alone I save $10. Add all the other stuff I save on at Walmart and the savings add up. With an unemployment rate of 9.3% many in this state can't afford to shop anywhere but Walmart. I find Bi-Lo's prices to be higher than Publix overall.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:53 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
I could be wrong but I still think this whole deal will lead to a bigger deal to a bigger player and my guess it will be Kroger. They are sitting on a lot of cash and this would be a perfect acquistion for them with hardly any store overlap.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Today's Publix price on OM Bacon $6.49/lb while at Walmart it's around $4.49 but I now buy Smithfield, which Walmart has for $3.99 or less always. A bag of Tyson Chicken Strips at Publix is $8.49 while Walmart has the same bag for $6.99 or less. I buy 2 of each on each Walmart trip and on those 4 items alone I save $10. Add all the other stuff I save on at Walmart and the savings add up. With an unemployment rate of 9.3% many in this state can't afford to shop anywhere but Walmart. I find Bi-Lo's prices to be higher than Publix overall.
Exactly!! I was running an errand today and Pulbix was convenient to go to so I ran in for a couple of things. Their naval oranges looked really good so I grabbed 2. Each orange cost me 1.25. I could have gotten those same oranges for .50 each at Walmart.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Exactly!! I was running an errand today and Pulbix was convenient to go to so I ran in for a couple of things. Their naval oranges looked really good so I grabbed 2. Each orange cost me 1.25. I could have gotten those same oranges for .50 each at Walmart.
I don't like to buy produce or meat at Walmart so I try to shop the other's sales. Walmart is too far from home for a quick trip. Publix sent me a $5 off $30 coupon today. Look for yours in your mailbox.

I think Kroger is already too big for the government to allow them to buy Bi-Lo but I could be wrong.

Maybe we'll end up with a regional office but there will still be job loss with that.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:19 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Really? I guess it's all a matter of what is priority to you when shopping. I just go in, get what I need and don't dilly dally in the store so saving 40.00 a month would be more a priority to me. I also think it would be more savings than $10.00 a week.

Heck at the end of the month I can go to a spa with my savings and get a nice clean and friendly feel good massage.
Nope, it is no more than $10.00 for the wife and myself. It's not worth the hassle of finding a parking spot where someone will just leave a shopping cart at their car that will eventually hit my car. It also takes longer to find what we need. It also takes longer to wait in a long line of misfits to save a buck. By the time I get home, my ice cream has melted, wasting $5.00 of my hard earned money. Then, my savings is only $5.00. No, you can have Wal-mart. You probably need a massage if you go to Wal-mart each week for groceries (or a bath).

Old 03-13-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Nope, it is no more than $10.00 for the wife and myself. It's not worth the hassle of finding a parking spot where someone will just leave a shopping cart at their car that will eventually hit my car. It also takes longer to find what we need. It also takes longer to wait in a long line of misfits to save a buck. By the time I get home, my ice cream has melted, wasting $5.00 of my hard earned money. Then, my savings is only $5.00. No, you can have Wal-mart. You probably need a massage if you go to Wal-mart each week for groceries (or a bath).
In some respects you are right...but it depends on when you go. Since I work from home I go in the morning after school drop offs. Parking lot is empty, no one is in the store. I hit the pharmacy as they open, no line! Now I will agree about the ice cream but I carry a cooler and ice packs in extreme heat for the "cold" items I buy. Even during the Christmas rush first thing in the morning is the best time to shop at Walmart. If you have to save money you have to be prepared to put up with the hassle Walmart is. Now I will admit when school breaks come around, I am in there less often because of the distance to the store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area