Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 03:21 PM

10,084 posts, read 7,760,140 times

Advertisements

I don't live near the downtown area so it's not always convenient for me to drive to the Swamp Rabbit Trails even though I do walk/run/hike a lot. I do love those trails and it's one of the best things G'ville has going for it.

Do you think G'ville will ever get some nice trails like that on the outskirts so that others not living downtown can enjoy? I would love to see some nice long trails around the Simpsonville and Fountain Inn area. We need a place for bikers and hikers.

I bet it would get a lot of use as I'm always seeing bikers on the streets around the area. There is plenty of pretty country.

It just seems sometimes if something great is happening to Greenville, it's happening downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 03:46 PM

68 posts, read 182,858 times
I agree with you. The downtown area is really cool but it would be nice if some of the other areas would share in the development of good trails.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:50 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,375,819 times
Most of the SRT is located in areas outside downtown and a fair amount is even outside the city limits, right?

Old 03-15-2012, 04:57 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,758,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Most of the SRT is located in areas outside downtown and a fair amount is even outside the city limits, right?
I agree. The last time I checked, most of the SRT was outside of downtown Greenviile. Quite frankly, the best parts of the trail are near Furman and T.R.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:58 PM

10,084 posts, read 7,760,140 times
True that most is outside of Greenville heading up toward Furman. I'm talking about getting something in Simpsonville/Ftn. Inn area. Let it start in Simpsonville or nearby so that those in that area have convenient trails to use.

The trails are big downtown as that is where it starts. Those visiting can walk around on the trail to sight see, etc. You've got the biking rental places, etc downtown and in Travelers Rest.

I go walking/running quite a bit and like I said I see bikers all of the time on the roads. I'm sure they would love a place to go in the area without cars having access.

It just seems like a lot of times if anything great happens to the area it's downtown.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:58 AM

672 posts, read 1,417,662 times
Look at Lake Conastee preserve/park, near Mauldin. Some of its paved, but there are lots of nice free trails there.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,375,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
True that most is outside of Greenville heading up toward Furman. I'm talking about getting something in Simpsonville/Ftn. Inn area. Let it start in Simpsonville or nearby so that those in that area have convenient trails to use.

The trails are big downtown as that is where it starts. Those visiting can walk around on the trail to sight see, etc. You've got the biking rental places, etc downtown and in Travelers Rest.

I go walking/running quite a bit and like I said I see bikers all of the time on the roads. I'm sure they would love a place to go in the area without cars having access.

It just seems like a lot of times if anything great happens to the area it's downtown.
The SRT is a collaborative effort and woud not have been successful without significant support from the private sector. I recommend talking to your political representatives in Simpsonville/Fountain Inn and contact local businesses (including Greenville Hospital System) to let them know about your desire for additional trails in that part of the county. Encourage other citizens to speak up as well. If the southern portion of a county-wide trail system connected to Heritage Park, then lots of people would travel that direction as well, no doubt.

Keep in mind, the small shops associated with the SRT are private investments that sprouted as a result of the trail's success in attracting lots of pedestrian activity.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:55 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
Look at Lake Conastee preserve/park, near Mauldin. Some of its paved, but there are lots of nice free trails there.
The paved section at Conestee is the SRT, and I believe it runs all the way to 85 now, although part of it is on surface streets through one neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area