Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:09 PM

152 posts, read 321,070 times

Advertisements

Obesity. Drunk driving. Sums it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 07:01 AM

684 posts, read 1,177,282 times
But SC has some great fried chicken!!!

Old 04-08-2012, 12:11 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,002,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
What are the WORST Life Cycles of Greenville / Upstate that need CHANGE in 2012?

What are Life Cycles?
These are habits we see recycled over the years to the point people comment about them in friendly conversation. Or we can call it, "culture"

Things I've Seen:

- People are too cliquish. Resources are poorly divided in SC

- City lacks the proper tools to engage Urban/Minority culture [ builds pride & dignity ]

- City lacks Youth entertainment . you really think you can tell kids to go in at 10pm and not create a worse situation? Check your news in 2 months. Failed in the early/mid 90s, it will fail again .

- Public transporation, for lack of a better word, SUCKS. The routes are bad and Greenville seems to not understand the way a city grows in bring new people to the city with new ideas. Cater to the young college graduates crowd.

- I think Greenville Tech needs to become a focal point of building a 'hipster' community. It will bring a lot more money into Greenville. Just my opinion but Greenville does not know how to cater to Youth... ever

feel free to reply and stay on topic. This is not a debate. I encourage everyone to ignore those that try to debate.
You have identified areas that you think need to be addressed. What do you think will 'fix' them?

Last edited by jac; 04-08-2012 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-09-2012, 07:37 AM

557 posts, read 859,208 times
I see Greenville heading toward a brighter and better tommorrow. The part I don't like and I think is happening here is it can't happen fast enough for all of us. It is a slow process and not microwave fast. I have to remember that everytime I want Greenville to be a certain way, knowing it will get there, just not fast enough. ;(

Old 04-09-2012, 09:21 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,532,120 times
Quote:
What are the WORST Life Cycles of Greenville / Upstate that need CHANGE in 2012?

What are Life Cycles?
These are habits we see recycled over the years to the point people comment about them in friendly conversation. Or we can call it, "culture"

Things I've Seen:

- People are too cliquish. Resources are poorly divided in SC

- City lacks the proper tools to engage Urban/Minority culture [ builds pride & dignity ]

- City lacks Youth entertainment . you really think you can tell kids to go in at 10pm and not create a worse situation? Check your news in 2 months. Failed in the early/mid 90s, it will fail again .

- Public transporation, for lack of a better word, SUCKS. The routes are bad and Greenville seems to not understand the way a city grows in bring new people to the city with new ideas. Cater to the young college graduates crowd.

- I think Greenville Tech needs to become a focal point of building a 'hipster' community. It will bring a lot more money into Greenville. Just my opinion but Greenville does not know how to cater to Youth... ever

feel free to reply and stay on topic. This is not a debate. I encourage everyone to ignore those that try to debate.
Jobs, jobs and more jobs and not just any type of jobs.....quality, livable wage jobs in the form of fortune 500 companies who will bring their corporate office jobs to Greenville. Also don't just mean expansions of existing manufacturing company operations. Completely new, never existed in the area, big well known fortune 500 companies are needed.

The job market there badly needs diversification. As things stand right now most of the jobs there are manufacturing, retail and fast food. Would also be great if these were permanent jobs. Too many of the companies in the Greenville area only want to hire temporary staff that they can throw away (BMW comes to mind here) whenever their bottom line ($$) does not look good. People need permanent jobs with benefits.

Growth will really accelerate in Greenville when the types of quality jobs that people need exist in greater numbers!

Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 PM

143 posts, read 205,373 times
I wish the community would insist upon more sidewalks along the primary roads! We live in Simpsonville/Five Forks area and many of the roads out here don't even have shoulders for pedestrians or bikers.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:46 PM

609 posts, read 1,613,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertmm View Post
I wish the community would insist upon more sidewalks along the primary roads! We live in Simpsonville/Five Forks area and many of the roads out here don't even have shoulders for pedestrians or bikers.
Very BIG point. I agree wholly. THat's why I refuse to live anywhere but Mauldin (certian areas) and Greenville (certain areas )

I like getting out and walking daily. I've lived in NYC, Jersey City, Denver, Vegas, Cali, Georgia....... I need that space to walk places and feel like sunlight is touching my skin

Old 04-12-2012, 07:59 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,482,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post
Obesity. Drunk driving. Sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRCainJr View Post
I see Greenville heading toward a brighter and better tommorrow. The part I don't like and I think is happening here is it can't happen fast enough for all of us. It is a slow process and not microwave fast. I have to remember that everytime I want Greenville to be a certain way, knowing it will get there, just not fast enough. ;(
Great post! Greenville's a FANTASTIC place for its size. It WILL get better (or perhaps worse in some folks' view) as it grows & matures further.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:15 PM

609 posts, read 1,613,907 times
Anybody else feel the need for some sort of MAJOR ENTERTAINMETN VENUE?

A Large Entertainment Venue / A Theme Park / Something like this would be awesome.

I love these things in the summer as a person Under 30. Sure there's plenty over 30 who would agree and families that would love this as well. A safe venue with plenty of distractions to keep kids minds on games / fun.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 AM

12,626 posts, read 31,895,067 times
Quote:
Anybody else feel the need for some sort of MAJOR ENTERTAINMETN VENUE?

A Large Entertainment Venue / A Theme Park / Something like this would be awesome.

I love these things in the summer as a person Under 30. Sure there's plenty over 30 who would agree and families that would love this as well. A safe venue with plenty of distractions to keep kids minds on games / fun.
I agree with it. I think the area has a lot to offer but not many options for the younger crowd. I'm 40 but my son is 18. If we move there, I'd like him to have options for entertainment so he wouldn't be bored.

I like the idea of a large entertainment venue because it could be for the young and the old. I would include a fancy bowling alley, stadium movie theater, and themed restaurants, and outdoor stage with bands and VJ.

Maybe like these suggestions:

Firkin & Kegler Family Entertainment Center | Orlando Bowling | Bowling Birthday Parties | Corporate Events | Orlando Family Entertainment

Universal CityWalk - Orlando, USA: pictures, address, map & videos

The EpiCentre | Charlotte, NC | Nightlife, Entertainment, Shopping, Dining, and More...

Route 46 Entertainment District Sanford, Fl - YouTube

The question is when and will it happen? Is it possibly in the works? I think it would be an asset to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area