Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:31 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
charlotte or atlanta. The end.
*applause*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 12:36 PM

10,074 posts, read 7,754,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430

*applause*

Standing ovation.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:54 PM

557 posts, read 864,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430

*applause*

Standing ovation.
I'm with theses two on this one. I feel the fly by night amusement companies that show up at Haywood Mall and currently at White Horse and 253 are enough.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:19 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlgal View Post
An amusement park is a seasonal business. Greenville is not a tourist destination, for the most part, and could not economically support an amusement park. I don't think we have the population to staff that type of venue. Part-time seasonal employees are hard to find. We have a really hard time hiring pool monitors for our condo pool between May and September. It would also be a prime location downtown that would be unused for 6 months out of the year if it were to locate where the current zoo is located. We don't even draw large crowds for the Upper SC State Fair once a year.
I don't know with our weather they could stay open February to November and have concerts and events in the winter time.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:28 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,649,256 times
Quote:
I also wonder how many people are living in Greenville because it is the perfect sized town/city for them to live. They love how quaint and easy things are to get to. It's the perfect size...not too big and not too small.

If Greenville needs to really keep growing and more Amusement Parks, businesses, new large shopping areas/malls and other type deals are built by cutting down our trees and building on our pretty land and then more trees are leveled to build more and more cookie cutter houses on I just wonder how many people will leave Greenville because it's not the place they moved there for.

It's become congested everywhere and sprawled out and not much country part to it anymore.

I know I'd leave if the area grew too much. I know others would too.
I think if Greenville grows it will continue to be more in the core that is already built out. A lot of places have pockets of land that could be developed and not create a "bigger" (physically) city (Verdae, Poinsett Highway, Greenville county going out towards Easley). I also see Greenville becoming a lot more dense in older neighborhoods (downtown, Wade Hampton, West Greenville, Berea, etc. People can and should leave if they don't fill comfortable with what Greenville is becoming and there are plenty of beautiful smaller towns in the area that I am sure would welcome them!

As for the topic, I like the idea of having it off I-85 at White Horse Road. That area needs some investment and this could bring development with it. It is already a large established road at a major interstate in the Southeast. I see an amusement park as being something that people would attend while they are in Greenville but not something that would be a draw in and of itself.

If it was at Wade Hampton, it would be 5 miles (11 minutes) from downtown Greenville, 8.2 miles (11 minutes) from Haywood Mall, 14.6 miles (19 minutes) from GSP.

Thoughts? (And I'm not saying this will every happen, just fun to speculate/wonder about)

Old 04-15-2012, 02:19 PM

374 posts, read 833,700 times
Like to see another 'Kings Dominion' built right next to a 'Bass Pro Shop' along I85 toward Anderson... course with light rail from Gnvl.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:20 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
I'm just saying if Greenville grows too much and gets too overcrowded there will be those that will leave the area. I know some that have already done that. It's just some people's preference. Greenville can grow and grow and grow and get millions of people to come here, that's fine and great, but some might not like what G'ville would have become. That's just MY personal preference for Greenville. I know you and others don't agree and that's fine.

Growth is good but not too much.
It's all subjective at a certain point. I don't think the folks in Raleigh or Dallas have many regrets though!

Old 04-15-2012, 04:18 PM

609 posts, read 1,619,341 times
I would LOVE an amusement park in Greenville.

I know my son loved going to the Animal Park ... in INman i think it was.....

However, i dont have to goto a job everyday. I think it would be great for parents / families and even couples to have such options close by.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:10 PM

73 posts, read 178,055 times
Just as an FYI the zoo is not moving. The public hearings are quite informative. I think there is going to be another one in May.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:01 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slumberval View Post
Just as an FYI the zoo is not moving. The public hearings are quite informative. I think there is going to be another one in May.
That's interesting.... I didn't think they could really do much more with the space they're currently in(??)... So, is the zoo not going to grow & improve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area