Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:24 PM

609 posts, read 1,619,700 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I saw a comment about people wanting to see inmates on the side of the road. I honestly kind of forgot about this issue since being engaged in other things but thought I'd share.

Are you aware our tax dollars ( A LOT OF MONEY ) is being spent mainly on jailing people who can't pay child support?

Instead of going to our under-supplied schools and new roads, business support, it goes to jailing people who cant pay child support in a job-deprived city/state.

Somewhere around ~80% of the Greenville County Jail ( which now is 2 mid/high rise buildings , being hidden somewhat by folage ) is simply people who could not pay child support, allegedly.

People that didn't offend a real law but were out of work / jobs . Keep in mind South Carolina was the #2 worst place in the NATION to find work just as recent as 2007/2008. Our economy is not up and up as some want you to believe.

Why is this hidden? Simple. A private company/entity allegedly owns the Greenville County Detention Center. They profit HEAVILY from your/my tax dollars. Hundreds per inmate and that's why they are doubling the size of the prison b/c they knew through OBVIOUS market research, No Jobs = No Child Support payments. Simple as that. Easy lock up for 1 year, removing good people from our community and making them a profitable slave.

This effects Black / White / Hispanic, not just one group. It's a VERY SERIOUS issue being swept under the table.

Also, it's not just a privately owned entity issue. In fact, the Family ycourt and the jail pay NUMEROUS multi-million 2nd party servicers ( pyramid scheme ) that pays for campaigns of our politicians . This in turn makes sure they get a percentage % of tax payers money consistently flowing into their own greedy/fat pockets.

This is why when a new multi-millionaire with 'new views' pops up, they will try EVERYTHING to push them out of SC. Dont belive it? Ever asked yourself why Kevin Garnett is not around. He loves his home and had houses here for a while but had to move. Why would one of the highest paid atheltes in sports not have more going on in his home city anymore? Yet he does it in other cities he's played and lived.

How about they tried to find various ways to fine him and badger him for funding numerous summer activies in the community.

Back to the issue:
Few cities would allow this to get away but SC is looked at as uneducated people and Greenville as a politically lazy metro, where a blanket can be kept over the eyes of the community. Most of these companies are owned by people not from here and just carpet-bag the community.

Here's the Whammy about Greenville SC County Jail to me.

1) Why should family tax payers have to pay for anything dealing with another person's decision of 'sex' ? That's what this boils down to. People chose to have sex with a character they cannot control the money of.

While no kid should be left behind, I think there should be a focus on garnishing wages and forcing jobs vs losing man power to prison systems the community can not profit off of. We'd gain more tax money off their jobs for the community instead of losing our own money.

2) The only people these laws effect are those without the money to fight it. I had a friend who's mutli-mil father lost in court to a meth-addict because the Family Court thought they could profit heavily from the percentage of money they keep from his payments. Low and behold, they didn't know his lawyer made him aware of a place to move in the US where he'd be exempt and he pulled all his money and business out of SC. The only thing they could do was try and garnish tax return wages which obvioulsy, rarely / if ever happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 04:05 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,055,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
Okay, so I saw a comment about people wanting to see inmates on the side of the road. I honestly kind of forgot about this issue since being engaged in other things but thought I'd share.

Are you aware our tax dollars ( A LOT OF MONEY ) is being spent mainly on jailing people who can't pay child support?

Instead of going to our under-supplied schools and new roads, business support, it goes to jailing people who cant pay child support in a job-deprived city/state.

Somewhere around ~80% of the Greenville County Jail ( which now is 2 mid/high rise buildings , being hidden somewhat by folage ) is simply people who could not pay child support, allegedly.

People that didn't offend a real law but were out of work / jobs . Keep in mind South Carolina was the #2 worst place in the NATION to find work just as recent as 2007/2008. Our economy is not up and up as some want you to believe.

Why is this hidden? Simple. A private company/entity allegedly owns the Greenville County Detention Center. They profit HEAVILY from your/my tax dollars. Hundreds per inmate and that's why they are doubling the size of the prison b/c they knew through OBVIOUS market research, No Jobs = No Child Support payments. Simple as that. Easy lock up for 1 year, removing good people from our community and making them a profitable slave.

This effects Black / White / Hispanic, not just one group. It's a VERY SERIOUS issue being swept under the table.

Also, it's not just a privately owned entity issue. In fact, the Family ycourt and the jail pay NUMEROUS multi-million 2nd party servicers ( pyramid scheme ) that pays for campaigns of our politicians . This in turn makes sure they get a percentage % of tax payers money consistently flowing into their own greedy/fat pockets.

This is why when a new multi-millionaire with 'new views' pops up, they will try EVERYTHING to push them out of SC. Dont belive it? Ever asked yourself why Kevin Garnett is not around. He loves his home and had houses here for a while but had to move. Why would one of the highest paid atheltes in sports not have more going on in his home city anymore? Yet he does it in other cities he's played and lived.

How about they tried to find various ways to fine him and badger him for funding numerous summer activies in the community.

Back to the issue:
Few cities would allow this to get away but SC is looked at as uneducated people and Greenville as a politically lazy metro, where a blanket can be kept over the eyes of the community. Most of these companies are owned by people not from here and just carpet-bag the community.

Here's the Whammy about Greenville SC County Jail to me.

1) Why should family tax payers have to pay for anything dealing with another person's decision of 'sex' ? That's what this boils down to. People chose to have sex with a character they cannot control the money of.

While no kid should be left behind, I think there should be a focus on garnishing wages and forcing jobs vs losing man power to prison systems the community can not profit off of. We'd gain more tax money off their jobs for the community instead of losing our own money.

2) The only people these laws effect are those without the money to fight it. I had a friend who's mutli-mil father lost in court to a meth-addict because the Family Court thought they could profit heavily from the percentage of money they keep from his payments. Low and behold, they didn't know his lawyer made him aware of a place to move in the US where he'd be exempt and he pulled all his money and business out of SC. The only thing they could do was try and garnish tax return wages which obvioulsy, rarely / if ever happened.
Wow, that's crazy. I think child support needs to be paid. If you don't have a job, how can you pay? I think an alternative to putting people in jail for not paying support is to have them do community service or as mentioned, garnish their wages. Instead of having them sit in jail doing nothing and eating up tax dollars, give them work to do. Use the tax dollars to help pay for child support for doing community service even if it's only a small amount.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:58 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,375,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Wow, that's crazy. I think child support needs to be paid. If you don't have a job, how can you pay? I think an alternative to putting people in jail for not paying support is to have them do community service or as mentioned, garnish their wages. Instead of having them sit in jail doing nothing and eating up tax dollars, give them work to do. Use the tax dollars to help pay for child support for doing community service even if it's only a small amount.
They do have a work release program for men and women who owe child support (non-violent criminals only). I hired a few in the recent past.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:47 PM

work-release is available on a VERY LIMITED scale compared to "Population". Keep in mind , we're talking about a state where Employment opportunities are VERY BAD and education is Just as Bad.

I think we have to cater to what the REALITY of the state is before it gets better. I dont know. I feel people in Greenville too often fabricate 'what could / should / would' be instead of first working with what is

Old 04-15-2012, 07:09 PM

Actually we're talking about a county with the lowest unemployment rate in the state — lower than the overall national unemployment rate — so that argument isn't completely valid.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:09 AM

298 posts, read 686,964 times
Quote:
Keep in mind , we're talking about a state where Employment opportunities are VERY BAD and education is Just as Bad.

I think we have to cater to what the REALITY of the state is before it gets better. I dont know. I feel people in Greenville too often fabricate 'what could / should / would' be instead of first working with what is
Speaking of fabricating points of view ....

Old 04-21-2012, 01:12 AM

I said the state, not the county.

Failed point. I'm accurately speaking.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I said the state, not the county.

Failed point. I'm accurately speaking.
Make up your mind. You started a thread about Greenville County Detention Center, but then tried to use unemployment everywhere else in the state as a scapegoat to support your weak theory that these convicted criminals — most of which have very little character worth admiring — are actually innocent victims.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:56 AM

423 posts, read 898,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Make up your mind. You started a thread about Greenville County Detention Center, but then tried to use unemployment everywhere else in the state as a scapegoat to support your weak theory that these convicted criminals — most of which have very little character worth admiring — are actually innocent victims.
I think he meant to type "county" but actually typed "country" in the title of the thread. Regardless, I am tired of reading his negative posts. There are good things and bad things about every situation and place in life. I just choose to keep a positive attitude and concentrate on the good things, rather than dwelling on the negative.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
What is your strong theory, as of yet you've givin none to the subject. And what are these "criminals" convicted of, being lazy? broke? hard times? some of each ? all?......surely you can see the scam here....the economy fluctuates up and down but the law for this type of thing does not ....why is that do you think? And fyi no more work relase for the greenville county jail they have shut it down dorm and all also in jan. 2012 they issued new regulations for these matters they will revoke DL and stuff like that instead of jailing you because of the masses of people in the county jail for child support issues and were getting heat for it overflow was BAD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area