Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:38 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
dont know. i'm used to more appealing surroundings of entertaining venues. I feel you have to walk a while in the dark to see anything else around the center.

Hoewver , goes to show, People do appreciate the plan.

From a marketing standpoint though, they HAVE TO BE losing major money however.

I bet a simple move to increase entertainment venues around it would draw an extra $10MM per year at least into the city. A very low-scale thought and make a better impression on tourists.

If tourists are coming to Greenville and visiting the Bi-Lo center for an event, I'd think there's a pretty healthy chance they follow the same route of entering to the center, instead of going downtown. ( ex: back to Hayward Rd on i385 )
but wouldn't "entertainment venues" pull from downtown? me personally I don't come in from 385 but I know i'm not most ppl.

Also, if i'm in town for a concert for one night i'm never concerned with the area, I went to Clemson for a show recently and I got in, got out, and never really thought about what was around the venue, though there was nothing there for at least a half mile I think. Ate at a mellow mushroom on campus, nice place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 316,206 times
The Bi-Lo Center is in a good place for that kind of facility. It is close enough to Main Street to walk to easily for most people and yet also conveniently located for auto traffic. If something ever gets built on the old GMA site there would be even better linkage to the rest of downtown and the possibility of some more entertainment options.

Most of the travelers who have posted comments on various travel blogs have mentioned that it is accessible for folks staying at the Hyatt or Holiday Inn Express.

Through the years I have seen large numbers of people walking to the Center for big shows who have parked in the parking buildings downtown.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
I feel you have to walk a while in the dark to see anything else around the center.
In the dark? Really?? Seems to me, Greenville recently paved over its dusty downtown wagon trails (er, I mean streets) and installed these newfangled contraptions they call street lights...

Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,812,715 times
Personally, I think it's in a great spot. I wouldn't change a thing.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:09 AM

609 posts, read 1,620,032 times
I think some peopel think of "well lit" streets without comparison

I walk Venice Beachh in Los Angeles, I dont feel like I'm walking a 'dead' street for 10 minutes to get to the center of the strip.

Its definitely 'dark' around the Bi-Lo center at night in comparison to most downtowns where you see all sorts of venues as you walk out from the entrance and within 100 around.

IE; Charlotte Bobcats arena or Panther Statidum... compare that to the Bi-Lo center position........

Old 04-21-2012, 07:13 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
The arena hasn't struggled because it is not located on Main Street. It hasn't struggled at all. It is easily accessible from most of the Upstate and has plenty of outdoor space for other large events. Parking is readily available and Main Street is a short walk away. Yes, it is a good location.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:41 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
sojones:

On this and several other threads you've started, it seems that you are trying to create arguments where there really aren't any. What's your problem?

Old 04-22-2012, 05:14 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,373 times
Every time I read one of Sojone's comments I sense the same thing. The word Troll comes to mind.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:37 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,014 times
Bi-Lo Center is a nice location IMO. Easy access from I-385, walkable from downtown, plenty of parking in the surrounding area, safe neighborhoods in the adjacent areas. What's not to like?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 PM

63 posts, read 164,106 times
Directly across the way from the Bi-lo Center is a beautiful neighborhood of old historic homes that have been mainly transformed into businesses. I work there and its a great area. If the Bi-lo Center was any closer to Main Street it would be TOO close. Right now its easy in and easy out with the 385 free way right there. It's PERFECT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area