U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 05:54 AM

4,035 posts, read 3,217,762 times

Advertisements

I remember the Burger King in Greenville Mall. That guy that worked there, oh was so funny. We would go in there and order Whopper meals just to hear him say "Whopper Meal" over that speaker system in that deep funny voice.

Anybody remember the John Graham store? Where was that at?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 04:46 PM

4 posts, read 4,784 times
A list of places I remember from my younger days that I haven't seen posted on here:

Black Eye Pea restaurant was in the building where Jason's Deli is now across the street from Haywood Mall.

In Haywood Malls first years my favorite men's Store were Chess King and J. Riggin's. J Riggin's also had a location at Greenville Mall.

Other long gone stores at Haywood Mall: Bombay Company Furniture, S&S Cafeteria used to have a restaurant on the entrance corridor between Rich's and Sears. It was on the left side which eventually became a beauty shop. Today it is part of the Apple Store. At one point there was a restaurant to the right side of the mall entrance to Belk's. Can't remember the name or if it was on the lower or upper level. If memory serves me, it was an Italian restaurant.

During Haywood Malls Grand Opening back in 1980, the mall used to have a dance group called the Haywood Players. (I'm pretty sure that was the name of the group) The newly crowned Miss Universe 1980, Shawn Weatherly of Sumter, SC made a guest appearance at one of the grand opening shows on the stage that used to be in the Center Court. I was there, so that is how I always remember that the mall opened its doors in the summer of 1980.

Merry-Go-Round store at Greenville Mall

Storehouse Furniture opened a second location at Greenville Mall after its major renovation in the 90's. Their first location was on Pleasantburg Drive across from BJU a few doors down from where Shoney's used to be. The building is still there. Today its some kind of Mexican grocery outlet.

Ivey's at McAlister Square had a restaurant on the upper level name McArthur's.

Heilig-Meyers Furniture Store

The site of Red Lobster and part of the actual restaurant itself used to be a Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge.

The Bell Tower Mall was anchored by Edward's Department store on the right end. The other end was anchored by Woolco.

Old Mill Stream Fish Camp located on HWY 14 at Pelham Road beside the river. Today the river and falls are not visible from overgrown trees and weeds. There was a cage in front of the restaurant with a bear inside. The bear's name was Baby.

W.T. Grant Department store in Greer Plaza where The Market Place Grocery and Badcock Furniture is today. Grants also had a restaurant inside on the front to the left. Back then the name of the shopping center was Grant Plaza.

Garcia's Mexican Restaurant, Orchard Park Drive. Myrtle Beach still had a Garcia's long after ours closed. The one in MB is now gone as well.

Shoney's on Orchard Park Drive. Today its part of the hotel.....I forget the name.

TG&Y dime store in Taylors between Wade Hampton and East Lee Road where Auto Zone is today....or probably a few doors down. A&P Grocery store was also in that shopping center. If you look up closely above Auto Zone, the old A&P roof is sticking out above the Auto Zone facade!

Lechmere Department store in the Gallery Shopping Center on Haywood where that cheap store called Gabe's is now located. Darn, I loved that store and miss it!

Boston Market - two locations: one on Laurens Road and one on Pelham in front of the Bi-LO. I never understood why they closed. They served rotisserie chicken decent healthy options. No locations exist in SC. I still eat there, but it means going to either Asheville, Charlotte or Atlanta.

Linens N Things at The Shoppes at Greenridge (today Buy Buy Baby)

Old Country Buffet at Verdae Marketfair (today Mr. K's Books)

When all the BI-LO stores had cows on the roof! I'm serious! They really did - fake ones of course. LOL

That's All Folks!!!!

Old 08-15-2017, 06:03 PM

1,075 posts, read 673,917 times
The Old Mill Stream was in the coolest building ever.The building was an early 1800"s water powered textile mill.It made Confederate uniforms during the war of northern aggression.Later it became the first Fatz location.

I remember going to Morrison's on Main only on the days that they had AYCE shrimp.

The first,I think, Chik Filet outside Atlanta was in the new Macalister Square.

How about the great old Vince Perone's Italian on Antrim Drive.

How about Charlie's Steak House on Coffee St, right out of the 1950'S

Old 08-15-2017, 07:56 PM

3,513 posts, read 4,028,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
The Old Mill Stream was in the coolest building ever.The building was an early 1800"s water powered textile mill.It made Confederate uniforms during the war of northern aggression.Later it became the first Fatz location.

I remember going to Morrison's on Main only on the days that they had AYCE shrimp.

The first,I think, Chik Filet outside Atlanta was in the new Macalister Square.

How about the great old Vince Perone's Italian on Antrim Drive.

How about Charlie's Steak House on Coffee St, right out of the 1950'S
Yes. Chick-Fil-a was only in southern malls in the 70's and 80's. I don't think they even started opening free standing restaurants until the mid to late 90's. I remember the sandwich meal came in a box similar to KFC when you got it at the mall.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:48 AM

20,663 posts, read 21,718,608 times
Chick-fil-A opened double drive thru quick service restaurants in the early 1990's, then switched to opening freestanding quick service restaurants in the mid-1990's.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:37 AM

2,783 posts, read 2,606,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Chick-fil-A opened double drive thru quick service restaurants in the early 1990's, then switched to opening freestanding quick service restaurants in the mid-1990's.
I seem to remember that the drive through Chik Fil A off of Laurens Road near McAlister Square as being one of the first freestanding locations for that chain.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:49 AM

453 posts, read 537,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
I seem to remember that the drive through Chik Fil A off of Laurens Road near McAlister Square as being one of the first freestanding locations for that chain.
Fun fact! That was Chick-Fil-A's first ever drive thru-only location. That restaurant opened in 1993.

The first freestanding Chick-Fil-A dates back to 1986, although I don't know how many of those there were in the '80s.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:34 PM

3,513 posts, read 4,028,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Fun fact! That was Chick-Fil-A's first ever drive thru-only location. That restaurant opened in 1993.

The first freestanding Chick-Fil-A dates back to 1986, although I don't know how many of those there were in the '80s.
Yep. 1986 on N Druid Hills in Atlanta according to Wiki.

It seems like the first double drive thru- only locations here were near mall locations like McSquare. There is a double drive thru- only near Westgate and one in Greenwood near Greenwood Mall (prior CrossCreek Mall). The Greenwood store recently moved outside the mall to an outparcel however the double drive thru - only building still remains open just down the street which gives them a total 4 drive-thru lanes on both sides of Hwy25/72 intersection which proves a point I have always said they could do two locations on either side of major intersections or interstate exits and both would do well. What a business they have.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:10 PM

1,223 posts, read 787,962 times
Haven't read the whole thread, but have these guys been mentioned yet?

Old 08-17-2017, 07:34 PM

21 posts, read 11,901 times
I was born in the late 90's, have lived around here my whole life in this county, and remember ZERO of these things. However, I remember when the Hampton Inn Riverplace was built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area