Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 07:37 PM

5,619 posts, read 5,756,256 times

Advertisements

Most of what has been mentioned in this thread was long gone before you were born. Heck, I'm 49 and don't remember some of what has been mentioned in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 01:00 AM

4 posts, read 8,731 times
How about when Sears was in the Canal Insurance Building at Stone Ave and 29

Across the street from that Sears was a large PET Milk factory. My grandfather worked there.

Other buildings across the street were the Greyhound Bus Station and a small bar called Gemini that catered to Greenville's Gay/Lesbian community.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:26 AM

4,558 posts, read 5,911,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey 1968 View Post
How about when Sears was in the Canal Insurance Building at Stone Ave and 29

Across the street from that Sears was a large PET Milk factory. My grandfather worked there.

Other buildings across the street were the Greyhound Bus Station and a small bar called Gemini that catered to Greenville's Gay/Lesbian community.
I had forgotten about that Gemini nightclub in the corner there where Wade Hampton and Stone intersect. There was also a really good Chinese restaurant near that corner as well in the 80's wasn't there?

Do you recall what was at the corner of Stone and N. Main where the former Eckerd Drugs/now Rite Aid-Save-a-Lot stands now? I believe there were two buildings across from the Drop-In store on that hill. It seems like one was a Mexican restaurant or maybe an Italian restaurant.

Last edited by vistatiger; 08-18-2017 at 07:35 AM..

Old 08-18-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I had forgotten about that Gemini nightclub in the corner there where Wade Hampton and Stone intersect. There was also a really good Chinese restaurant near that corner as well in the 80's wasn't there?

Do you recall what was at the corner of Stone and N. Main where the former Eckerd Drugs/now Rite Aid-Save-a-Lot stands now? I believe there were two buildings across from the Drop-In store on that hill. It seems like one was a Mexican restaurant or maybe an Italian restaurant.
I vaguely remember the Chinese restaurant. I have no memory of what was on the Eckerd Drugs/Rite Aid/Save-a-Lot property. Do you remember the Burger Chef restaurant up Wade Hampton Blvd at Wellington Ave? The building is still there, but today it is the Dixie Family restaurant II. Here is a photo of what Burger Chef looked like back in its days.
Attached Thumbnails
GREENVILLIANS.  Memories of People Who Lived in Greenville the Last 20+ years-84cb21ad3ac62b597bc9abf72bcfa7d0-fastfood-chefs.jpg  

Old 08-20-2017, 08:52 PM

632 posts, read 741,066 times
The Chinese restaurant was called the Tiki Garden and claimed to be Polynesian. Served mostly typical Asian fare, and it was not bad. One restaurant that I still miss is the Golden Fleece, formerly in the original Greenville Mall serving a Greek and Mediterranean influenced menu.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:35 AM

Is it just me or did the Wade Hampton Mall at BJU have outdoor escalators during its days?

Old 09-05-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I vaguely remember the Chinese restaurant. I have no memory of what was on the Eckerd Drugs/Rite Aid/Save-a-Lot property. Do you remember the Burger Chef restaurant up Wade Hampton Blvd at Wellington Ave? The building is still there, but today it is the Dixie Family restaurant II. Here is a photo of what Burger Chef looked like back in its days.
Quote:
Is it just me or did the Wade Hampton Mall at BJU have outdoor escalators during its days?
I have always wondered what the Dixie originally was. I slightly remember Burger Chef other places. I bet there aren't many of those buildings left like that.

Don't remember the elevators at Wade Hampton Mall. I do remember Eckerd Drugs and the movie theater on the lower level that was still open in the late 80's. What were some of the other stores there? Winn Dixie?

Old 09-06-2017, 08:36 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,256,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
I do remember Eckerd Drugs and the movie theater on the lower level that was still open in the late 80's. What were some of the other stores there? Winn Dixie?
That Eckerds and the one at McAlister square were initially Walgreens stores according to my mother. Walgreens had a number of stores across the country that were called agency stores. Basically franchise stores run by independent owners. Some of them got folded into the chain once the franchise agreement ended. Stores further outside the Walgreens market area were typically taken over by other chains, like the two in Greenville.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:00 AM
B&R

148 posts, read 314,508 times
Quote:
Yes it did. We went up and down those escalators many times as kids. The Mall was on two levels, although most of the stores and floor space were on the upper level. There was a corridor coming from the middle of the upper plaza that had stairs flanking the escalators. The lower level was mostly small shops and was more of a back side than anything else.

The movie theater was a detached building that only shared the parking lot.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
That Eckerds and the one at McAlister square were initially Walgreens stores according to my mother. Walgreens had a number of stores across the country that were called agency stores. Basically franchise stores run by independent owners. Some of them got folded into the chain once the franchise agreement ended. Stores further outside the Walgreens market area were typically taken over by other chains, like the two in Greenville.

I only remember when it was Eckerd.
The store at McAlister was on the corner in the center of the Mall and had a lunch counter/grill you could walk up to and sit on one of those round chrome type stools.

Strange that US malls don't have drug stores anymore. Many malls in the UK have a Boots(part of Walgreens). Haywood had a drug store in the 80's. I believe it was a Rite Aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area