Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 28,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
Morrisons! Wow , someone else remembers LOL . I was so young but I remember that place with great detail. I loved walking that cafeteria service line haha.. good food!

I never visited the Umbro outlet, where was that?

I never knew of the Shopping Mall that was in the Mills.....

Lol @ Kevin Garnett favortism. Athletes always get favortism from Teachers. Just the way the world works. I think it's deserved, we earned the school money.. regular students dont do that LOL Helping pay bills !

I remember in Spartanburg when the Woccamaw Pottery place was in some huge mall outlet type place. Not sure if that was an Outlet mall or what. I remember running through some the stores having fun, about it. Anyone know the name of this?

What happened to the State Fairs that used to come around Greenville?

Freedom Weekend Aloft is where now?

Who remembers the restaurant up on Table Rock mtns? It still open?

Who Remembers the Greenville Mall opening ? and closing ( light heartedly said ) LOL JB Whites...... Parisianss... Montgomerys.... The little Sam Goody record shops? ??

One thing I know will sell out eventually but I hate to see go.. Mauldin Farmer's market and the owner's of all that, selling their land. That will be such a drastic change to the landscape and history

When Bi-Lo in Mauldin was off Neely Fairy Road!? Sky City store was there and in Simpsonville too!?

Greenville was so in a prime state then...... so many options of places to go!
Waccamaw Pottery was my mother's favorite place to go...They had the first kiosk jewelry shop in the middle flanked by the actual Waccamaw store and some store that sold nothing but a lot of socks...The jewelry place is where I used to get all of my tulip rings and pick ice...now who remembers those?!! Morrison's had the best creamed corn...Do you remember S & S when it was inside Haywood Mall inside the entrance between (what's now) Macy's and Sears and the line went around the place behind the wall and then you could go to the dining area on the right or go up to the upper (one step up) dining level on the left...And Piccadilly in Spartanburg used to be inside Westgate Mall at the back side (coming from the front entrance now) and there were only 2 stores on both sides and then the mall ended and Piccadilly...And of course, there was just what you were looking for at Upton's when they had the crazy man on the commercial that said "Spot a Dot and Save a lot"...Also, the TV show America's Funniest People when Dave Coulier and Arlene Sorkin hosted it came to Westgate to audition people to be on the show...oh yes, and the girl from the TV show My Two Dads (Stacy) came to Upton's and signed autographs...and when all of the cast from the way back cast of Days of Our Lives who are slowly reappearing on the current episodes used to come for the celebrity softball game to benefit Taylors Falcons and the youth association...Ok my memory is tapped out now...thankfully
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 AM

By the way, no one that I have ever asked about this actually remembers it, but Kanpai of Tokyo used to be at the end corner of the shopping center that houses Academy of Hair Technology, Bi-Lo, Ultra Tan, and Gold's Gym on E. North St and Edwards Rd when it becomes Haywood...They had the heaviest carved wooden doors...they moved from there more than 25 years ago to where they are now.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
Yep, I remember all of those. Fun fact: the very first Po Folks was located in Anderson, on Concord Road. AFAIK, the chain is still alive and kicking in the Atlanta area, now known simply as "Folks."

The Hungry Fisherman takes me back. I think I ate at the one in Greenville a time or 2, but I vividly remember the one near Stone Mountain outside Atlanta. It had a huge lake out front (much bigger than the one in Greenville) and, of course, there were clear views of the Mountain.
Yes, the lake also had ducks that would come chase after me as a kid and scare the crap out of me, they bit my dad's big toe one time when he had on flip flops and I thought they thought his toe was a french fry and that they had really eaten his toe off...man childhood traumatic memories, nothing like 'em.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:16 AM

285 posts, read 456,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
That was the location, but it was a different store at that time. Speaking of that shopping plaza, I have fond memories of the former Belk Home and Rug store.
Me too! My mom had a beauty shop inside of the Belk Home and Rug. That was mid to late 70s.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:58 AM

214 posts, read 300,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiahnicole View Post
The children's play area with the yellow concrete a-shaped form slide with two small holes on one side and one large hole on the other was outside of the chick-fil-a in the middle of the mall alongside the tree that had the phones attached to it that told you a story when you picked up the receiver. Man, that slide was always so cold if you had on shorts. There was a concrete turtle that you could climb on too.
The play area I'm remembering wasn't in a mall - I do remember that play area with the story phones, but this one was in a store in a strip center.

Skyliner - Do you remember what the store was when it had the play area? It's driving me nuts - I assumed it wasn't the Open Book then, since even then I loved books and would have likely been looking at them (and getting a bad case of the gimmies), not focusing on the slide. IIRC, I almost want to say it was some sort of clothing store.

I was realizing the other day that almost every year I attended school in Greenville County, from grade 4 to graduation, I was in a portable for some or the majority of my classes. And then I graduate and every school I went to either moves (Mauldin Elementary, Southside High) or is expanded (Hillcrest Middle, Mauldin High, where I went for a semester). Hrmph. Dodging the puddles on the "sidewalks" made of roofing material just laid on the ground was an... experience.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:31 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
The play area I'm remembering wasn't in a mall - I do remember that play area with the story phones, but this one was in a store in a strip center.

Skyliner - Do you remember what the store was when it had the play area? It's driving me nuts - I assumed it wasn't the Open Book then, since even then I loved books and would have likely been looking at them (and getting a bad case of the gimmies), not focusing on the slide. IIRC, I almost want to say it was some sort of clothing store.
It was Carolina Baby during the eighties.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:16 PM

800 posts, read 1,462,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiahnicole View Post
Yes, Love and Hudson...Do you remember Buuuuuck White...He used to walk all the way from Gaffney to Toccoa
Yep! Stopping off at the Union 76 truck stop to give Love and Hudson a call...

Danny Bored, Meesrs. Mauldin...funny stuff. I don't live around Greenville anymore, but did I hear right that Bill Love was let go from 102.5? And what the heck ever happened to Howard Hudson? He left years ago (probably around 2000) and I haven't heard anything from him since.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:54 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:

Danny Bored, Meesrs. Mauldin...funny stuff. I don't live around Greenville anymore, but did I hear right that Bill Love was let go from 102.5? And what the heck ever happened to Howard Hudson? He left years ago (probably around 2000) and I haven't heard anything from him since.
"Ho-Hud" is still around. I recently heard him on a local sports show.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:31 AM

186 posts, read 358,580 times
Quote:

If you'll recall, Love & Hudson went to Richmond (Late 1980's) for a few years. I was driving from DC to G-Ville one morning and heard them in Richmond absolutely RIPPING Greenville as the land of backward, inbred rednecks. They said everyone lined their yards with half-buried tires and paited them white, that we all had 40 hounds each, most sleeping around the broken-down cars parked on our front lawns. But at least the couches on our front porches were patched with tasteful squares, and the porch fridges always had a full stock of Pabst.

A-holes. I've despised them from that day on. Sorry for being a hater, that's just been a long-burning fuse.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:50 AM

13 posts, read 21,468 times
Oh, the memories. As a Greenville native, I remember all of these places! I love the Greenville we have today, but occasionally get a little nostalgic for the less hectic days before Woodruff Rd. Because I enjoy what we do have now, I will tolerate the traffic and use this board to keep the memories of the simple days alive.
We loved McGuffey's the first few years, and also loved Dundees Outback that was on Lauren's Rd where the sports bar is now. That was the first place I had fried pickles. Alexander's and Sam Soloman's were regular stops for Christmas shopping.
I clearly remember the day Greenville Mall opened and going to Montgomery Ward and buying new clothes. Until then, I had no clue 385 existed, or that area of Greenville. Wonder how many know that Greenville Mall opened a year before Haywood Mall, and you would see the construction of Haywood Mall as you drove to Greenville Mall. Even as a sophomore in high school, I knew it was crazy to build two malls that close together and one of them would eventually not make it.
I love Wilson's 5&10, but can only spend a limited amount of time in there! Could NEVER work there, but admire the ones who do. I will always remember walking downtown with my grandmother and going to Woolworths in the 70's to buy embroidery thread and work on pillowcases. Those were the days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area