Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:48 AM

609 posts, read 1,614,230 times

Advertisements

Okay, so who here has lived in Greenville over 20 years?

I have.

I wanted to stroll down memory lane. See if we can point out some things that were 'landmarkish' that have dissappeared over time.

Things I Remember..........

- WoolWorth Downtown , really small kid... Think they had hamsters in the store lol

- Who Remembers the Starter Clothing store they opened downtown that had B-Grade goods... Lol As a kid I didn't know any different so it was just as great having that Chicago Bulls Starter Coat

- Goody's on Lauren's Road... when EVERYTHING was on Laurens Road

- McCallister Square mall... back when they had one the best arcades in Greenville

- Greenville Braves Stadium in Mauldin..... i used to LOVE THE FRIES as a kid there.. I caught a few runaway ballss while at the stadium...

- Who remembers watching Kevin Garnett Play Basketball at Mauldin High / around the upstate ?

- What was that one "cafeteria" place that used to be in McCallister Square mall that was like the Super-packed place to eat on Sundays?

I wont overdo it with my post. Lets see what everyone else has! Share your memories of the city and hopefully some of you newcomers can find some points of interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 06:36 AM

5,518 posts, read 15,288,621 times
McAlister Square is still there, but of course it is now the University Center of Greenville instead of a shopping mall. If you like reading, a huge book sale event happens there annually.

The former G-Braves stadium is now a nice multi-field baseball complex. I enjoyed watching lots of future MLB stars at the old stadium, but everything else is better at Fluor Field in downtown.

Goody's is still in Williamston, if you liked shopping at the one in Greenville.

Before Lowes and The Home Depot, I used to visit Moore's on South Pleasantburg and Heckinger on Laurens (now Books-A-Million).

Remember the massive Welcome supermarket at the intersection of Laurens and Haywood? It is now Burlington Coat Factory, Office Max, Michael's and a discount flooring place.

Before Academy, Sports Authority, Dick's, and REI, I shopped at Sam Wyche on North Pleasantburg and Poinsett (adjacent to Stax's Original) and the Umbro outlet near Cherrydale. Sports Unlimited was operating in Taylors 20 years ago as well, if my memory is correct.

Anyone remember the short-lived shopping mall inside Mills Mill? It is now loft condominiums.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,479,254 times
Default Cleveland Park Stables

I haven't lived here long, but being a "horse person" I think it's sad to see the demise of Cleveland Park Stables on Woodland Way. The Greenville Horse Show, which used to be held there in the '30's through the '60's, was THE "society" show in the Southeast. Many young girls, a few boys, who were horse-crazy, grew up taking riding lessons there. Quite a few became accomplished equestrians. A lot of nationally-known American Saddlebred trainers got their start, or a good foundation to their careers, at Cleveland Park Stables. In the American Saddlebred world, it's an icon of days gone by.

The last I heard, high end apts were being planned for the property with strong neighborhood opposition. I haven't heard anything for a few months and don't know the current status of the developer's plans.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 AM

55 posts, read 139,970 times
The cafeteria was Morrisons.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:35 PM

214 posts, read 297,890 times
I used to love going to Greenville Braves games when I was young. The only downside was hot days in the summer when the wind was just right, you'd get a nice scent from the sewage treatment plant. It's sad that Greenville wouldn't make the effort to keep them. A baseball is a world away from AA baseball and honestly, I have no desire to ever go see the "Drive". (Which has got to be one of the worst names, ever)

My debate teacher in high school used to be one of the certain mentioned basketball players teachers at Mauldin. Ahh the stories she had about "favoritism".

The Umbro outlet was great. Several years ago when I last drove by where it used to be, I couldn't believe the changes that had occurred in that area. Almost nothing was recognizable.

I still miss the original Manifest Records, before they moved to the shopping center with The Great Escape. I spent a ton of my allowance/babysitting money there.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 PM

Morrisons! Wow , someone else remembers LOL . I was so young but I remember that place with great detail. I loved walking that cafeteria service line haha.. good food!

I never visited the Umbro outlet, where was that?

I never knew of the Shopping Mall that was in the Mills.....

Lol @ Kevin Garnett favortism. Athletes always get favortism from Teachers. Just the way the world works. I think it's deserved, we earned the school money.. regular students dont do that LOL Helping pay bills !

I remember in Spartanburg when the Woccamaw Pottery place was in some huge mall outlet type place. Not sure if that was an Outlet mall or what. I remember running through some the stores having fun, about it. Anyone know the name of this?

What happened to the State Fairs that used to come around Greenville?

Freedom Weekend Aloft is where now?

Who remembers the restaurant up on Table Rock mtns? It still open?

Who Remembers the Greenville Mall opening ? and closing ( light heartedly said ) LOL JB Whites...... Parisianss... Montgomerys.... The little Sam Goody record shops? ??

One thing I know will sell out eventually but I hate to see go.. Mauldin Farmer's market and the owner's of all that, selling their land. That will be such a drastic change to the landscape and history

When Bi-Lo in Mauldin was off Neely Fairy Road!? Sky City store was there and in Simpsonville too!?

Greenville was so in a prime state then...... so many options of places to go!

Old 05-07-2012, 02:49 PM

5,518 posts, read 15,288,621 times
The SC Upper State Fairground is located adjacent to the Greenville-Pickens Speedway (one of the original NASCAR tracks) on U.S. 123. The fair comes through every year.

FWA is at Heritage Park in Simpsonville, a great recreational/concert venue.

I don't remember a restaurant on top of Table Rock, but do remember a restaurant at the lodge in the park. It is no longer open for regular business, but is used for special occasions.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:56 PM

right, I didn't mean at the 'top' literally but still, up in the park area

Old 05-07-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
Lol @ Kevin Garnett favortism. Athletes always get favortism from Teachers. Just the way the world works. I think it's deserved, we earned the school money.. regular students dont do that LOL Helping pay bills !

Who Remembers the Greenville Mall opening ? and closing ( light heartedly said ) LOL JB Whites...... Parisianss... Montgomerys.... The little Sam Goody record shops? ??

One thing I know will sell out eventually but I hate to see go.. Mauldin Farmer's market and the owner's of all that, selling their land. That will be such a drastic change to the landscape and history
It worked out for him only because he actually became pro - I wonder about all of those that never make it and then try to get a "real job" somewhere having a high school diploma without the education to go along with it.

The JB White at Greenville mall seemed smaller than the one at McAllister Square, but I liked it better - far better than the Parisian that came at Greenville Mall after the renovation. I remember playing at the Greenville Mall with the middle school band, pre-renovation.

Is the Mauldin Farmer's Market that place on the corner of Butler and Corn in front of the park? If so, I remember it used to be itty bitty - like a tiny shed size. By the time my parents moved from Forrester Creek, it was gigantic, especially given what it started as.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:02 PM

I loved it when Freedom Weekend Aloft was at Donaldson. Depending on the winds, some years the balloons would come right over our house, including one that landed on our street. One of our dogs would alternate between a single bark at a balloon then running underneath the deck to hide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area